Donovan Returns to Everton

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by MisterF, Dec 15, 2011.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Simple answer...No.

Could they afford wages comparable to what he gets in LA? Yes, but since he's under contract for 2 more years there is no way they could pay what the MLS would demand in a transfer fee. However, after this MLS season (and let's say the Galaxy repeat) and w/only one more year on his deal, he could go to Garber and tell him that he doesn't plan to re-sign and that the league should get whatever they can for him (the transfer fee for a 30 year old Donovan could be reasonable).

Some interesting opinions on this thread about his career. Does he have anything else to prove? No. Has he done more for US soccer by staying here for his prime? For the growth of the sport in the mainstream? I would say yes. Does anyone think that he would be a bigger star in the US sports landscape had he gone to England years ago? No. I agree w/Matt that there is a part of me that does do the 'what if' scenario w/him. Is he the most talented outfield player we've produced? In my mind yes. Has he had the best career? There is a player that dons the number 23 for our favorite team that has probably already staked his claim for that distinction.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Could Fulham afford him?

3. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Issue for Everton was they wouldn't pay the outrageous transfer fee that the MLS put on him, let alone him not wanting to stay. So could MAF pay it? Yes, but wouldn't be worth it.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't think it ever came down to Everton deciding that he was too expensive. I think everyone knew that it was just a loan and that -- if suddenly freed of his Galaxy contract -- Donovan would be VERY expensive. When Donovan said "I'm under contract, but if I were free I'd love to play in the Prem and I'd like it to be with Everton," he was saying it in an interview with local reporters. I don't think, at this point, that he's interested in coming back to Europe on a permanent basis; I just think he was thanking the supporters, the club, and David Moyes.

I figure he'll be back next season and the one after that in an Everton shirt -- unless, of course, Moyes goes elsewhere, in which case I would expect Landon to follow Moyes.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Donovan has the flu and is doubtful for tomorrows game. The right thing to do in the case is for the Galaxy to let him stay another week and play his final game. I think we all expected him to play in the US match against Italy, but if he were to return to the Galaxy as scheduled then he would have to fly all the way back from California to play. Just let him stay until the end of the month Bruce. One more healthy game for Everton and then let he and Clint take on Italy

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I appreciate the sentiment, Ms. Maureen, but imagine if Landon did a ligament in that "extra game" and wasn't available to the Galaxy for the rest of the season. Bruce would be looking for a new Arena.

7. jumpkutz

8. jumpkutz

9. MisterF

MisterF New Member