Donovan Returns to Everton

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by MisterF, Dec 15, 2011.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Raise your hand if you think the USMNT would be better served in 2014 by Landon staying at Goodison instead of returning to la la land.

2. tim

tim Active Member

:text-+1:

3. MisterF

MisterF New Member

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

he's class. that is all.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, I wish he could stay in the Prem. Although perhaps not on a team that is close to Fulham in the standings. :)

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I actually watched some soccer, Saturday.. and yes.. that entire game.

Donovan has now reached the point where he has nothing to prove to anyone. The first loan was no fluke, and I think Everton fans now realize the McBride loan wasnt either.
    US team has Donovan it wont make a damn bit of difference to them whether he plays for LA or Everton.

The only thing Donovan could prove by staying is that he can do it for a half season. He comes in when they're in the doldrums picks them up and they contend for the rest of the year, after he's gone.

So I dont care whether or not he stays anymore, but I think he would get some satisfaction from doing that.

Finally should be an end to "Landon couldnt hack Europe".. which is, AND ALWAYS WAS, about the same as saying

"If you dont appreciate Wagner, you dont like music."

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Love it, absolutely love a 'fog showing. And I agree entirely. He has nothing more to prove. Donovan is a class player. Good to see you around these parts, 'fog. Take care.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Agreed Nev. Always good to see the Fog. And Donovan no longer has anything to prove.

BTW...am I the only one who thinks fog's avatar probably looks like him in his early days? :lol:

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Chip off the Ol Fog? You are so right Heather :lol:

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Agree, definitly makes me think of a baby fog.

If Donovan wants to stay in England longer or permanently, I wish the Galaxy and MLS would find a way to make it happen. He has done so much for MLS and US soccer. I think that's the least they can do, but I know it's a business and explains why I dont have the money needed to buy a team for Cleveland

Also, great to see on the board again fog.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One more chance to see Donovan in Everton blue. Their cup match this weekend -- WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN OURS -- will be shown Saturday on FSC. I believe it will be live.

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Just read that during Donovan's loan Everton has scored 11 goals and Landon assisted on six of them. Just goes to show once again that 'mericans really cant understand how to play the beautiful game.

As a matter of comparison Landon has 6 assists in 9 games

Silva has 12 assists in 25 games
    Gigs has 8 assists in 17 games
    Ashley Cole has 6 assists in 25 games
    Charlie Adam has 6 assists in 25 games
    Mata has 8 assists in 23 games

14. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Wow. That is pretty strong. Coming up all Landy

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Is he playing on Sat. or is his loan over?

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Hatter mentioned he was playing in his last match this Saturday.

17. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Loan ends after the FA Cup match. I'd disagree a little on the nothing left to prove argument. I think he's playing a higher level of football at Everton right now than he probably ever has, even better than the last loan, and better than I've seen of him in MLS. I don't see how he goes back to MLS w/o some regression since he won't be pushed there. So since staying would benefit the USMNT, that's what I'd prefer to see.

It's his career and his life and I can't fault him for preferring to live in CA over Liverpool. I don't respect him though and will never consider him the "Greatest American Outfield Player" as a result. Not when other players are playing at the highest level and succeeding. And that's a shame, b/c he'd probably deserve that title if not for his choice to play most of his career in MLS. These loans only show "what could have been".

18. tim

tim Active Member

If it's a purely soccer decision, I can't see how he'd end up back at the Galaxy. If it's a lifestyle decision, as a native of Southern California, I can certainly appreciate how he'd want to be back here.

What I hope doesn't happen, is he wants to stay at Everton but MLS/Galaxy won't make the deal. At this point, if he wants to stay, they should sell him for some Beatles LPs. The guy's been the figurehead of the league for years. What more can they ask of him? If he wants to stay, they should let him stay. He's earned it.

19. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Let's say, theoretically, that he decided to stay. Could Everton afford him, given their recent money troubles?

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And, no surprise here, Donovan is Everton's player of the month.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/s ... index.html?

Chatting with a few Toffee-noses recently and the consensus is that he's been the only exceptional player in a season of mediocrity. I'd disagree, I think that Drenthe and The Argentine Whose Name I Can't Spell have also been good, but he certainly has made a difference to them.