Donovan Loan saga thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Nov 20, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Says Canales quoting the Mirror, as do all the other mentions I perused from Google. She weighs in, of course:
    yeah, that's it. A passing error got him sat.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Except that I havent a clue about the rules and whether it is even possible to bring a yank of that age and experience over there.

3. Clevelandmo

Other than that pass and the mistakes he made playing out of position at Left Back, tell all the other mistakes.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I've been following McInerney's exploits since the U-17 Qualifiers. I'm afraid at his young age (17), he's still too much of a project to help us, but he could be headed to a European Academy somewhere. It's most likely either that, or the Middle School League.

Some perhaps insightful nuggets: http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=blog&entry=50

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Ives is reporting the deal to be done, with the Galaxy giving a non-answer answer.

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Martin. Zamora is a T&T International. He changed his allegiance with FIFA this Spring/Summer.

Mo. Sorry, by DMB hadn't had a good game for at least a year BEFORE the Confed Cup, even when playing LM. He's just the kind of guy who, if he's not playing regularly, completely loses his ZIP. His playing style depends so much on him being "in form", that when he's not, he's just not effective.

7. pettyfog

Mo, I told this story before but maybe it bears repeating once in a while..
    I followed DMB up during his 'wonder years' and I had noticed that he only seemed to do well when opponents didnt mark close. When a team employed 'see ball, get ball' he didnt exactly shine as he was easily muscled off.
    Then the seminal moment. On the way to Crew Fire game I hear Eindhoven scouts are present to look at him.
    Then from a mere 15 yards away, I see him get OWNED by a rookie making maybe his 3rd start. That was Chris Wingert, who is certainly a respectable player now with RSL but still no all star.
    Of course PSV took him anyway and we all hoped for him to improve as well as bulk up.
    He did well for the dutch team but it seems he just cant get over the hump, whether it's in his confidence or what.. we dont know.
    I dont think BB did him any favors in that regard putting him at LB.

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Donovan deal/loan

Oh man, so many issues here:

First, a 10 week loan? So that'll go until March 15, or just 10 games. It'll probably take 2-3 (if not more?) weeks to get up to full fitness. He'll be lucky to play by the end of January. Why not just go to May? Is the MLS season from March until May that important?

Second, LD's new deal. He's over the max salary, but not a DP. Instead, he's "grandfathered in", again. Uhm, I'm pretty sure you are "grandfathered" when rules change, not when you sign a new deal. Yet again, MLS bends over backwards to help LA.

Yes, other leagues have serious faults. But MLS can't even rise to the level of palatability to get angry at; it's too much of a joke.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Donovan deal/loan

timmy. Between FA cup and other competitions, it's potentially at least a dozen games. Also, a loan until May means no Donovan until July.

I think he'll play immediately and start soon after; Everton is THAT thin. The question is, does Everton pony up the money to buy him if he does well? If they agree on principle for a Summer buy, that could extend the loan through May. Otherwise, there's no way the Galaxy will start the season without at least one of their DPs (and Becks will already be at Milan until May).

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Donovan deal/loan

This whole deal with him signing with LA and then heading to Everton and talking like he wants to return to LA...

I just dont get it - It is either completely true... Or it is all BS to get the best price possible for him if they want him long term.

Maybe it is both.

Regardless - it is strange and I am feeling disappointed because I have high hopes of seeing Lando prove himself on a much larger scale than MLS and the Gals and this gives me the impression that he has no intention of doing that.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The language of his contract specifically allows for off-season [MLS off season] loans. This doesn't mean that Donovan wont transfer out. It just means that there'll have to be some compensation for Galaxy and the league when he does.

timmyg, he has to pledge that he'll return in time for the beginning of the league proper because his world-famous teammate screwed the pooch last summer by preferring sitting on the bench in SerieA to playing in the MLS. And, as andy points out, with the matches already lost to the World Cup by both Becks and Donovan, the club needs to start on a firm footing.

Good move for USMNT, for Galaxy, for Donovan, for Everton.

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Yes, but doesn't anyone think this year-round footy will stunt his growth as a person? He could conceivably get burnt out and just quit.

Ha, I kid.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

15. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Very odd time frame for his services.

16. pettyfog

About same as McBride's Everton loan.. speaking of which:

What Toffee fans think of it:

Numerous posts referring to McBride loan

".. he doesnt suffer fools, either"
    - - -- - - - - - - --

I had faith in Moyes.

As I said earlier, Donovan's first REAL loaning. Anyone thinks a SoCal boy is 'comfy' in Germany is just..well.. shortsighted.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

also, how long Beckham's was SUPPOSED to be.

18. Clevelandmo

For those of you who dont know, Donovan started for Everton today v. Arsenal. Early word out is that it was a success.

http://www.epltalk.com/arsenal-2-2-ever ... ebut/14637

I watched what I could on an internet stream and think the above write-up is a bit generous, mostly because I didnt think he looked as comfortable as the author describes. I thought I saw some standing around, bad passing, and a lack of the decisiveness that is seen when Mandon shows up. These are all Understandable and are things that should change after more time training with his teamates. However, he did get an assist on a corner (which I didnt see) and was a definite contributor. His other corner was bad, but it was after the blizzard started so perhaps it's understandable. I am happy to see he got to take the corners.

I dont think many if any of us had any doubt he was good enough for the EPL; the question is whether he can make a difference for Everton. After all, that's what he was brought in to do.

19. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I watched the whole match. He was good enough no doubt, but he was in a shell and played very safe 98% of the time. Expected for first showing.

I hope he gets comfortable before he leaves. When he turns his brain off a bit and plays on feel it seems to go much better for him.

As don said- is he going to be something special? Hard to say...

20. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Decided to head to the bar to catch the game in hopes that Donovan would play, and was surprised to see he started. I kind of agree he played safe, but looked good overall. I think he’ll definitely get another start.