Donovan Loan saga thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Nov 20, 2008.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Donovan to Everton?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... on-donovan

Let the Landon rumors begin...I think we're going to be seeing quite a few LD to "FC Acme" stories based upon his form over the past year.

Moyes hopes to land him on loan, and it's an interesting option.

2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Donovan to Everton?

Interesting. Everton did have brief success with another American striker before he found his way to a better club.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Donovan to Everton?

Go Lando! That would be a great place for him to see if he can handle the physical play, and he has a real shot of getting into the starting 11.

Only downside? He has to wear that horrible Everton kit - lol...

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

That would be a great move!

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The obvious. Donovan is foremost a SoCal guy.

This wont be the 'third time' this will actually be the 'First Time' with an asterisk forever attached.

Where Donovan gets to prove himself in a venue in which he's comfortable, and can concentrate on his play instead of adjusting to surroundings. That even makes a difference to suburban Chicago boys.

Not to mention: for a manager who can get the most out of him.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Moyes is a good fit. SSN says that the deal is pretty much a formality. Three months on the contract.

7. sullytex

sullytex Member

This would be a good move for him in general for his career (though I've said this about his other forays into Europe). In addition, it will keep him fit and in fighting shape for the WC playing and sharpening his skills in one of , if not the top, league in the world. Just don't get nicked up, touch wood and all that.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Which leads to one of those hypothetical questions,....

If Fulham could get a Yank (other than Cakes), NOT currently in contract with or on loan to any European team, to come to The Cottage, who would you like to see?

I think it almost has to be Stu-Hold. He's the only one left who jumps out of the roster with enough form.

A nice little read on our "Peanut": http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Stuart- ... 5825510.jp

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

That's a good question.

It orta be a striker or at least someone who puts the ball in the net frequently. But everyone needs those. Otherwise one who gets the ball TO the area.

Rogers comes to mind, surely he's going to Europe somewhere, but I cant say that he is what Fulham needs.

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I second this -- excellent question.

IMO, the Yank in question would have to be an upgrade from what the Ws have already. I see the most obvious starting XI openings for the Ws as left back, right back, (sorry PK and Pantsil), and someone up front that can score the goals (again, us and everyone else). This limits the choices considerably for Yanks. LB? PK is comfortably ahead of anything the red, white, and blue have to offer. Same for John Pantsil. Striker? Why, Eddie Johnson's long lost twin brother.

Aside from Stuart Holden, I can't think of one, and he isn't coming to our little corner of the world.

11. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Ching could make a useful backup for Zamora.

12. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

But we have the Mighty England Hopeful ZAMORA??? :roll:

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SEE BELOW :shock:

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Holden seems to me to be the best bet for a European move, and I think his game is well suited to England. As for Rogers, if a winger can't make it in Holland, he's not going to make it in the Prem.

Of course, if the USMNT shows itself well in South Africa, then many will be on their way. Evidence? The number of Yanks who drew interest after 2002, the number of Africans who drew interest after 1990, the number of Greeks who drew interest after they won the Euro Nations Cup, etc. etc.

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Admit it Don, you know you wanna pimp Bornstein to replace Konchesky.

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I find it interesting that all the information states that Donovan will head back to MLS in March? He wont stay and finish out the season like Becks did?

I dont want him back... I want him to stay, and then return to MLS at 32 or 33.

This is my crack pot analysis, but it seems to me Lando is such a head case that he is far to fragile on his own so hopefully Timmy can get him sorted and find him a couple skirts to tell him he is so special and important and blah blah blah... Just enough to make him feel needed, but not so much to get him distracted. Pick up a few goals and get the supporters behind him and you never know what he will accomplish.

All in all - I am excited. I never saw any of his performances in Germany and so this is going to add yet another couple hours to the weekend.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Fuck, I hate this move. Good move for Landon, shit move for Fulham as Everton is a team we're competing with and they just got a great player on loan. Not only a great player, but a player with something to prove. Damnit.

Holden isn't good enough for the premier league right now. Ching isn't good enough either. We're in for Beasley which is quite shocking, but might be a wonder move if it worked out.

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Jens, you're lucky to not watched his Leverkusen performances. Robson Ponte got a yellow card at Liverpool and that meant that Donovan started the next game. He had such a shit game that he barely made the bench the rest of his term here and reserve team players were moved ahead of him. Yes, it was that bad.

His Munich performances weren't much better. He was decent, but nothing special.

19. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

The only US player that I feel pretty sure could make an impact for Fulham is Landycakes - and only if Mandon shows up. But I guess that's not happening

If Fulham were really to consider a yank, I would prefer they put their sights on a youngin' like Jack McInerney (11 goals in 15 appearances for the US) and make him into something sooner rather than later.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

excellent insight, Ms. Maureen. As I've said before, however, I don't think Roy scouts very much over here. He seems to favor Scandinavia, and I'm certainly not going to complain about players he's found there.