Donovan Loan saga thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Nov 20, 2008.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Nice header.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Is there video of his goal anywhere? Sounds kinda like you saw it nevzter.

Anyway, if he keeps this up in Germany we might have to get rid of the landycakes name and call him something a little more respectable like burgermeister or something.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

'Rep' voting, what happens when good sites go bad.

5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

6. nevzter

Thanks for posting, Lax.

I hope for a strong showing by LD this time around and the chance to see another US outfield player shine in the Champions League on Feb. 25th.

A washout by LD this time around wouldn't be much of a setback for US Soccer in my opinion, however, should he achieve anything that resembles success, it would be a huge push for US Soccer.

7. IanHux

IanHux New Member

And you can kiss my avatar good-bye :cry: oh well. As long as it helps improve the USMNT.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Wow! That was a nice header. I noticed too that he celebrated like he belonged there.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Tell you what Ian. I've slagged Landycakes as much as you have and have been severely disappointed by his miniscule stones in the past. If he gets it right this time, and I hope he does, you'll have company when you are eating crow.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Does the Bundesliga have a winter break? What's with the midseason friendlies?

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Yes they do -- from before Christmas through all of January -- lots of snow in Deutscheland

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As to the mid-season friendlies, there's a bit of the old-boy's club about it. Bayern's old boy was helping out K-Town's. Kaiserslautern was a traditional Bundesliga power until they got relegated in 06 [I believe]. There was some talk about their going out of business completely at the time. They have a huge stadium and a lot of regional support. FC Bayern's friendly at Fritz Walter put a ton more meat in the seats than any second division match has for the last two seasons. It'll help 1stFCK be financially ready for the promotion they're on their way to this season.

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I was told by a buddy who watched today's friendly online that Donovan came on as a second half sub and scored twice today. He actually scored a third time, but was called offside.

I haven't seen any news reports or highlights yet, but I am sure something will come out soon.

Edit: Here is a news article - http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf ... id=4205730

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

lets hope the burgermeister keeps em coming through Feb. 11th!

Okay how 'bout Landymeister.

16. nevzter

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll admit it, he is hell against BL2 sides in friendlies.

18. nevzter

Now you've raised my suspicions that this whole loan move was simply to gain a shirt at FC St. Pauli.

19. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I want an FC St. Pauli jersey! They have a special relationship with Celtic. If anyone has not looked into St. Pauli - do some basic searching and some reading. An extremely interesting club.

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

A special relationship with Celtic? {That's a downer for some/me}.

But gotta say St Pauli is probably the most famous 'little club' in Europe.

- - - - -- - - - -
    5-0 over Mainz? That's, unfortunately, a mitigator. When you beat down a team, that's when your defensive Mid typically gets goals.

However.. Ives' money quote:
    Indeed!