Do we really deserve to stay up?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by andyns, Mar 7, 2008.

1. andyns

andyns New Member

We are beyond bad
    Away wins

05/06- one
    06/07- one
    07/08- zero

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If we stay up, we deserve to stay up. That's how it works, imperfect as the system is.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

At this point it's an easy answer...No. In order to stay up, they'll have to win at least 5 games along w/2 draws (and get some help). If they close the season w/that kind of quality play, none of us will say they deserve to go down.

4. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

To be fair, none of us expected Fulham to set the Prem alight, but they have underachieved in every way possible. Whether it be gaffe's in defense in the closing minutes of a match or their incapability to score against the league's worst side. This season has given me an ulcer and disappointment to last a lifetime.

Too harsh?

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

naw, Kev. But you're still young. There'll be many greater disappointments in your life as you get older. :D

Now THAT might be too harsh!

6. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Yes we do.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Don and your pearls of wisdom never seem to disappoint.

Well bring on the let downs...

8. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I am a firm believer that everyone deserves to get knocked down once in a while. It helps them grow in the long run. Whether it be getting relegated, or getting beat in the Carling Cup Final (Chelsea, I'm looking at you!).

I'm already looking forward to next season. A fresh new start and a new run for the cups! Woooooohah!

9. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Following Fulham is a lifetime of disappointment, don't try and cram it all into one season, there is years of misery ahead!

It is fun because just once in a while 1998-99 or 2000-01 happens. Live for those moments!

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Just found this old thread and wanted to say YES WE DO. As long as we whip Pompey next week. It is not beyond our capabilities.

11. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

The table doesn't lie. If we stay out of the relegation zone, then we deserve to stay up. It will mean that we've taken our chances while two other clubs faltered at the point they needed victory the most.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The superiority of this system over the MLS playoff system has never been more obvious than at the top and bottom of the EPL and the CCC this season. There are few teams more in-form over the last month than Fulham, but we can still pay for our Sins of Sanchez by going down. As a matter of fact, SW6 probably is home to the two hottest teams in the EPL, but if Man U can pull it off at Wigan on Sunday, that won't matter either. Similarly, Watford's scorching start to the season was enough to see them into the mini-tournement even though they've been crap for almost three months, while Charlton's swoon doomed them because they didn't get off to as roaring a start.

So yeah; if we stay up then we deserve it -- despite the host of points lost all season by lack of execution, poor refereeing decisions, timidity, injuries, and coaching bloody mindedness. And if we're for the drop, then we deserved that too. .... .... I'll give Sheffield United special dispensation on that one. They should still be up and West Ham should have spent all season fighting for a top-6 finish in the CCC, but that's another rant.

13. pettyfog

Sorry don... dont understand, considering there is no relegation/promotion in US pro soccer {and probably never will be}.

Just HOW does it prove your point?

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Fog, I'm talking about a league table determining things rather than the NBA/NHL/MLS system of every team with a pulse gets a chance to win it all. Wasn't contrasting relegation/non-relegation. Sorry for contributing to your limitless confusion. :wink:

15. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Absolutely they deserve it if the earn it. That's what Sunday will be about, earning the right to stay up! And Don, I agree with you 100%. It's amazing how many teams get to playoffs in NHL, NBA, MLS. Where's the motivation to play hard for your entire season?

16. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'm with you too, Don. The NBA and NHL play 82 games...you would think that that many games would be enough to determine who the best team is. And the teams that miss out on the playoffs...what do they have to play for, draft position? Who cares! As a Milwaukee Bucks fan, I know all too well how unbelievably boring it is to watch your team *try* to lose over the last couple months. OH BOY WE MIGHT GET TO DRAFT GLENN ROBINSON!!!11! And as much as I love baseball, it is just as bad in this regard. Out of contention in July? Trade everyone for prospects!

17. pettyfog

Thanks for Clarifying! Now I can safely say you're WRONG!

While unusual for you if speaking of sports, but typical if there's anything to do with 'politics' and yes, there's a political / capitalist smell to 'playoffs'

18. JustinR

JustinR New Member

Out of all the clubs I think we deserve to stay up the most. I think we play the most attractive football and with RH we are on th rise. The other clubs are just hanging on.

19. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Deserve? Given the teams "form" in 2008 up until April, this is decidedly "no."

But "deserves" has nothing to do with it; because the reality is that Fulham is STILL UP.

20. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

not anymore, thank the lord!
    :banana: