Directv questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BarryP, Apr 17, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am switching from my cable company to Directv at the end of the month and heve a couple of questions for anyone already subscribing to their service.

1. I currently do not have a DVR. Is the HD/DVR worth the upgrade or should I buy a separated DVR before having the system installed?

2. I was considering buying the receivers up front instead of leasing them from Directv. Has anyone done this and are there any drawbacks for installation (like extra cost).

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I switched from Cable to DirectTV on Tuesday. I don't have an HD TV, so can't speak to that, but I can't live without a DVR - being able to pause live TV, being able to record games...er shows, for later viewing without the hassle of VHS tapes, cool stuff. DrectTV doesn't charge much per month for the DVR.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I have not gone the HD route with DirecTV, but I have had DTV for almost two years and it is fantastic. If you are a sports fan it is great. Soccer, baseball, basketball and any other number of sports can be viewed.

As for buying your own equipment, I am not really sure how that works. Originally when I had Dish Network I bought my own equipment and they installed it. However, DirecTV might be different.

I would definitely recommed getting DTV. If you want $50 of your bill ($10 off the first five months), let me know as you can use ME as your reference and you can help us both.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Cheers!
    Tom

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I have Tivo and T-W Cable. I dont see much difference in the monthly cost except that I {rather the Mrs} can record two programs at the same time... from cable, that is. doubt you can, with SAT.

But once you have DVR, you'll never give it up.. unless you plain dont care to watch TV at all.

5. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Barry, I have the DirecTv with HD/DVR service and love it. I had my a ReplayTV DVR, but opted to go with the DirecTv one to be able to record two shows at once. I also leased the equipment because purchase was not an option. I purchased my non-HD equipment and still have it. use it for tailgating now.

Sports in non-HD don't have the best reception for HD service though (Fox Soccer is non-HD). I've only had one minor issue with DirecTV customer service as well. So, overall, I'm very pleased with my service. If you do consider DirecTV, let me know and we can do the referral plan.

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

'fog. You can record two shows with SAT DVR as well; you can even record two shows AND watch a pre-recorded show simultaneously.

7. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Definately make sure you get the ability to record two shows and watch a recorded one at the same time. If you are a soccer junkie and like to watch the other games that our shown on Sentanta and FSC on Saturday mornings, you'll absolutely want this function. As a newly addicted, and a new subscriber to Setanta and FSC, last 4 months anyway. I need this function more than ever. I have been a DirectTV customer for almost 10 years with a DVR and it is really getting a lot of use since I found the EPL. I like to 'cycle' on the weekends early in the mornings so being able to get my 'ride' in and and come back and watch Fulham is the best way to spend a Saturday or Sunday morning. I have an HDTv but don't have the HD service. I know HD looks awesome but all I need is another reason to watch more TV. ;-)

Also, I agree with above, DirectTV's customer service, while still decent, is not as good as it use to be.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I should have made myself clear... I meant I doubted you could record two programs at once with SAT and the separate-box Tivo offering.

With Cable/Tivo {dual tuner}, you can record two basic tier, or 1 basic tier and one digital tier from cable box, but not 2 digital tier. Since the SAT box is essentially 'digital tier', then Tivo couldnt do it.. while integral DVR should be able to.