Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 26, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Paid very close attention to bearing and presentation. Obama gets many points wrong - N korea being the most egregious.

McCain gets the points right. But he's nowhere near the speaker/presenter Obama is.

And Obama gained strength and confidence as the debate went on.

So, as it's DEBATE not a test of Factuality, I think Obama wins easily.

And by debate, I mean 'show' of verbal sparring.

Scanning the networks, apparently most of the wonks dont agree with me.

2. pettyfog

On the format of the debate, I think it's great. It really allows the two to get all their points through.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Hard to call a winner in that one. I think both looked weak on economics and especially the bailout and it's impact on their plans. Either they weren't ready for the question, or they really don't get it. McCain didn't seem to grasp the scope of the $ amount and Obama was too pie in the sky with promises he'll have no shot at keeping.

McCain won the point on spending cuts and Obama's increased spending plans but Obama countered well with the scope of the cuts and their relative size in relation to the overall debt. I thought Obama did a better job on the tax plan side. McCain didn't explain his plan very well and Obama did a good job shooting holes in it. I was also surprised that McCain allowed Obama to lay the mortgage mess completely on the rep's doorstep with no counter or mention of the changes made under Clinton.

On the foreign policy side, I felt McCain had a slight edge but the opinion of the average voter is probably going to side with whichever candidate they agree with on the Iraq War. I don't think either did much to win over the other side. McCain did an effective job of hammering home the "not ready" message on Obama though.

It was interesting in a sense but I didn't gain any more clarity on either candidate from last night. I'd say slight edge to Obama on the economics though both underwhelmed and slight edge to McCain on foreign policy. The VP debate should be a little more interesting if for no other reason than it's trainwreck potential.

4. pettyfog

So.. CBS says I was right.
    I pretended I was an undecided.

39/24 Obama rest say tie, in the undecided group.