Crossing the line

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by EricD, Mar 21, 2008.

1. EricD

EricD New Member

I read this article this morning, and it sounded awfully familiar:

Two weeks after FIFA scrapped further experimentation with goal-line technology -- President Sepp Blatter claiming it couldn't find an accurate method of checking whether a ball crosses the goal line -- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Energie Cottbus with a goal that TV replays appeared to show shouldn't have been awarded.

Blatter said three years of experimentation failed to come up with technology that was 100 percent accurate.

Cottbus keeper Gerhard Tremmel dived to parry Marco Russ's shot. The ball hit the post and bounced back to Tremmel, and Referee Michael Kemptner awarded a goal. But TV replays didn't reveal that the whole ball crossed the line.

The loss is severe for Cottbus, which is near the relegation zone

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Steven on WSD had the best point about it. How can you be against technology in this day and age? It has worked in tennis, why can't we learn from other sports? Move forward or run the risk of being rendered irrelevant. Too bad for Cottbus (and Fulham, the Boro game and W Ham game still smart, I'd sure like those 2 points about now).

Someone in FIFA is getting kickbacks on this somewhere, I am sure of it.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

yes, after this season, I feel it is necessary. Maybe do it like tennis, only give each team a certain # of challenges per game. I think with relegation in the picture it is too important for bottom 10 teams that dont get the benefit of the doubt calls ( and that's putting it lightly). I hope they go to replay, but I seriously doubt that they will.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Blatter looks for 100% resolution of the issue, which involves about 2-5% of all goals.

Only finds certitude for 95% of the 2%, so he throws out the baby. Someone needs a refresher course in statistics.

"Sorry, Wilbur, Orville... if you cant demonstrate that thing is 100% crash proof we cant allow it in the air above our heads."

"Now, Henry.. that brings us to your vehicle, can you guarantee whoever drives it wont be drunk?"

-heh

5. andyns

andyns New Member

I can understand the camera thing, yes it has worked seamlessly in sports like rugby and tennis, but football is stuck in the stone age, I get that.

What I don't get is the idea to have a goal judge behind the goal. Imagine that! Sat there to determine if the ball goes in, used, oh once every blue moon. They are already having trouble finding refs, imagine getting assigned to goal line duty! Furthermore, sitting behind the net, you wouldn't be able to tell if it was in or not, you need to be on the byline.

6. DriveShot

DriveShot New Member

If he's behind the goal he can't get a good view if the ball crosses the line or not. If he's on one side players can obstruct his view. So if you wanted actual people to judge you'd need two referees on each side of the goal for each goal line. Just use a damn chip in the ball and thats that. Even hawk eye technology is good enough.