Cristiano Ronaldo

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jul 5, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I hate to say this, but the boy was the best player on the pitch today. While I'd love to know what Thierry Henry said to him after the final whistle, I wonder if he's "dead" in England and, if so, where he'll be going. Any guesses? Informed opinions?

2. BoasBoy

BoasBoy New Member

He is one of the most talented players in the world but he did a fair amount of diving today which really gets me going. Rumors say he wants to play in Spain now with a possible move to Real Madrid on the cards.

He has also been quoted on Sky Sports saying he hates the weather in England and dislikes playing football in the rain. Bad weather??? In England?! He must be mistaken.

3. CincyFulham

CincyFulham New Member

After the way he begged for a red card for Rooney and the wink to the sideline which was caught on tape, I doubt he will get a warm welcome from even the ManUre fans. Great player, but he dives better than Greg Louganis.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Ha,...Greg Louganis! :3d laughing:

It's true. :3d nervous:

5. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

Not sure he dives better than Greg Louganis did :big grin:, but he has surely taken acting lessons in Hollywood.....

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am in the minority when it comes to Cristiano Ronaldo. I enjoy watching him play and in fact he is one of my favorite players outside of Fulham.

The diving does get old I will admit. However, the things he can do with the ball and the way he can change a game are qualities very few players in the world bring to the table. He is pure electricity with the ball and very few can rival him. If Sir Alex could ever learn how to play this kid in a position on the pitch for him to be most effective, watch out Premiership.

Unfortunately, I think the Premiership has seen the last of Ronaldo and that is a shame. He will tear up the Spanish league in my mind.

As for his actions in the quarter-final against England, I do not think his words or actions with the referee had any bearing on Rooney getting the red card. Additionally, while Ronaldo gets a deservedly bad reputation for diving, I also remember a certain Wayne Rooney diving at Old Trafford against Arsenal in the 2004-2005 season in what proved to be the turning point in a 2-0 win for Manchester United that put a halt to Arsenal's 49-match unbeaten run.

Every player at some point or another dives. Hell, look at our very own Luis Boa Morte. That guy dives an awful lot and more often than not, I wish he would not. Henry, Drogba, Joe Cole, Luis Garcia, Steven Gerrard and most others are all guilty of diving at one point or another in their respective careers.

Until something drastic is done to curb diving, it will continue to hurt the game and players will continue to get away with such things.

Regardless, Ronaldo is a great player. Diver or no-diver, he is a solid player that will be a major factor in the club and international scene for the next decade.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

From a marketing standpoint, the diving is going to hold him back. Henry has put a little mud on his glorified Nike persona during this WC also.

Perhaps they need to start penalizing divers after the match, after watching replays.

8. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

I thought after the 2002 WC the Ref's were suspose to start craking down on this diving game. I also think that players pretending to be hurt to get the other team to kick the ball out of play, has got to stop also. Far too often players are diving and or pretending to be hurt... It is the one single thing that "Football" haters that I know throw into my face when I try to explain to them the game and how wonderful it is...

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well if he wants to go Man U could work some very interesting deals. Combine a young player entering his prime and a veteran goal scorer, some very interesting possible swaps.

Fernado Torres for Ronaldo?
    Messi for Ronaldo?
    Van Nestilroy & Ronaldo for Messi?
    Van Nestilroy & Ronaldo for Eto?
    Van Nestilroy for Beckham?

Seriously, I could see Beckham returning to Man U. I would definitely love to see Torres, Eto, or Messi in the prem.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do not see any of those swaps happening. Perhaps Manchester United would spend the money they make for Ronaldo on Torres, but the others I just cannot see Barcelona letting go of.

As for Beckham, I do not think that is in the cards either. If Beckham did return to the Premiership, I would bet he goes to Spurs. Just a hunch on that one. As long as Sir Alex is in charge at Old Trafford, Beckham will not return there.

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I think thats unfair to say as of late...I believe ever since he became captain he has stopped diving altogether because I cannot think of one time specifically last season that he dove but mind you, I'm getting old now so my mind may be slipping a bit. :twisted:

12. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

I loved the way the whole Portugal team dove on cue on one of their crosses into the box

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Perhaps Boa Morte has gotten better in the last season. The point I am making is that at some point most every player is guilty of diving. Some more than others, but I think quite often players are looking to make a meal out of a foul and try to act a bit much to get the call and perhaps a card for the opposition.

Boa has gotten better about this, but he still falls quite a lot. Whether he is actually diving or he was actually pushed down is another story.