Credit card fraud

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Jul 9, 2008.

1. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

About 18 months ago I was checking my bank statement and saw 3 charges totaling about $150 all made on the same day. There was an 800 number included so I called it. They told me they were a 3rd party biller for numerous companies. I then called my bank and disputed the charges. They canceled the credit card. I then called the 800 number back and told them I wanted to check on those charges. I gave them my now canceled CC number and she said they were to an adult chat line. She then gave me the exact times they were made and the phone number that had been used. He called 3 times with in 20 min's! Checking my bank statement they only charge I made the same day was to buy gas, and that was about an hour before there calls were made. The following day I went to the police station and gave them the info. The Officer thought it was a great bit of detective work on my part getting the phone number. He traced it and sure enough it came from the gas station. Ended up the kid working confessed to stealing the number. He said he had been doing it with other cards for a couple months, but no one else ever came forward. We went to court twice, but the second time he never showed so a warrant was issued. Apparently they have not caught him yet even though he only lives 4 streets from me.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I did make one online purchase with the card and that almost a year ago before the fraud hit, so I don't think that was the cause. But I found a good article on Wired that explains quite a bit about credit card fraud:

The article was written back in 1999, and this type of fraud is still happening today. Ugh. :(