Craven Cottage in an era of stadium conformity

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln, May 25, 2007.

1. Zack

Zack New Member

first ever epl stadium that i ever went to (didnt get into the game, was in december of '04 vs man u...papa strike earned the 1-1 draw)...but the atmopshere and the idea that this stadium was home to such history and had such talent play on its pitch was BLOWING MY MIND...but awesome....cant wait to get back over and enjoy a match in person...."its a celebration....."

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: Craven Cottage in an era of stadium conformi

That is great that you have a a fond liking to CC, but what happens when the Cottage is gone in the future...still going to support Fulham?

Not making it out to be an ultimatum. Just a scenario that will likely happen sometime down the road.

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I'll probably always follow Fulham unless I move over to England and live somewhere other than London.

I understand Craven Cottage may go, but hopefully they'll continue playing at the same ground.

I totally agree with the guy's idea to build the whole stadium up so it looks like the Johnny Haynes listed side. There's a plan to build a side stand for Union Berlin that is retro turn-of-the century German style. It could happen for Fulham. If I was the owner I do it.

4. Team_of_McBrides

If I was owner I would first worry about improving the side. Stadium second.

I understand the need to adapt to the new era of stadiums. Hopefully Fulham can accomodate all the renovations need into Craven Cottage.

5. Zack

Zack New Member

oh yeah i'll still support 'em....the stadium is nice...but if upgrades (and i hope it is upgrade to something different...not borrowing the city parks field!)...but i'll make like Loverboy said and "love every minute of it" no matter the grounds....t'day

6. Team_of_McBrides

You honestly just made a Loverboy reference...I am baffled. Really don't know what to say...ahhhhh...whaaa...nooo....ummm

In the immortal words of journey's steve perry, "don't stop believin', hold on to that feeling"

I've got nothing.

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Craven Cottage in an era of stadium conf

The Cottage is going NOWHERE! It a listed building and improvements are being made on it every season. The day the Cottage goes is the day Fulham as a football club doesn't exist.

So don't worry, its here to stay.

8. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Craven Cottage in an era of stadium

Vote of confidence by our fearless leade Mike. He does knows the ins and outs of the club, so it is good enough for me right now.

Cheers

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Not very close. You can use the the google earth members map to get a grasp of it. But one thing I learned when I was there was that looks close on the map probably isn't really very close at all. London is just so so big, never ending.

For example when you look at Craven Cottage on google earth you can clearly see Stanford Bridge in the same frame. The two look a mere stone throw from one another but in reality its like a 20 minute walk(if memory is correct). So just estimating it would probably take like an 1 and 1/2 hours to walk from the cottage to Hyde Park.

10. Team_of_McBrides

Alright, I'll take a look a the map again. Thanks for the help once again. I will try and use my Oyster pass to get there a little bit faster.

Also might try to walk it though. Is Fulham a pretty scenic or nice area I should say of London?

11. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

It will be about 3-4 mile walk taking the shortest route. I would not consider walking from Hyde Park to Craven Cottage, if you do attempt it make sure you have a good pocket copy of the London A to Z.

Acutally I may walk it - get the good pub guide and plan a slow progress taking in some histroic watering holes!

You would probalby end up waling down the Brompton Road or the Kings Road - neither hold fantastic vista's, it's not like being is some of the more imposing areas of town like Bank or Westminster.

12. Team_of_McBrides

Thank you again GBF. Are some of you guys tour guides on the side?

I've been getting some great tips on where to go, what to see and the best way to get to the CC. Again, I appreciate all of your help.

Cheers

13. youngned

youngned New Member

I read somewhere that the Cottage is in bad shape and they will not be able to use it as it is not safe. Anyone else here about this?

14. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Craven Cottage in an era of stadium

First I've heard about that. I know it is an old grounds, but renovations have been going on the past few years.

So I will take Mike's word for it and hopefully "its here to stay".

15. youngned

youngned New Member

I hope Mike is right too.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Now how does a guy from Ireland come to find his way onto the FulhamUSA forum? Not a bad thing by any means. Diversity is a lovely thing.

17. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Hi Ned,
    I'm not being biased at all here, but the Cottage has never been in better shape. The Chairman has put in over £10m worth of renovations since we returned in '05 and more still going on as we speak.

My favorite part (other than the cottage itself which Tom and I toured through a couple of years ago) is the River. Nothing better than having a few beers, on a warm day, over look the Thames.

18. youngned

youngned New Member

Was on the Fulham FC website and found this site on it.
    Still waiting to get on the map though

COTW

19. youngned

youngned New Member

Read it in the Irish Mirror. Glad the cottage is in good order.

20. Team_of_McBrides

I'm in the same boat. Submitted my information about a week ago and I haven't seen it up there yet. Not too sure who is in charge of that.