Costa Rica v USMNT

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 4, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

It's kind of snuck up on us and now only 48 hours away. 9 guys on the US roster carrying yellows into the match, which means it would be shocking if a couple guys didn't miss the Mexico game 4 days later. Jozy is back in training, so it sounds like he's a go. The record in CR ain't great to say the least (7 losses and 2 draws out of 9 games) so have to be realistic. A point would be a great result, but a win and it's possible (depending on other results) that our ticket to Brazil will be punched. I know one thing that must be pinned up on the bulletin board and those are the quotes from the CR coach and some of their players that said 'they would have easily won the game if it weren't for the snow', really??? The boys will be highly motivated to shove those quotes down their throats.

Only one problem...beIN network :angry-banghead:

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think it would be a mistake to play Jozy -- at least against CR. He got scratched from a match on Saturday, and using him 6 days later seems reckless at best.

I'll be watching this when I get back from a (thankfully) early gig, but I may have to watch the Mexico match on line. In any case, I don't think I'll make the chatroom for either match.

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Simple game plan: pressure Ruiz - scoop up turnover - attack.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

LOL! That would work! How many times have we seen that, especially so far this fledgling season.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/15437 ... on?cc=5901

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

color me impressed. this squad may pull off a win on friday. 1) b/c it's not at saprissa; 2) the u.s. has more talent than costa rica; and, 3) the "snow comments" by costa rica after the last match have to be some type of bulletin board material, i.e., 'we'd have won absent the snow,' etc....
    with regard to cr's new venue, the bags of urine probably won't reach the pitch, but the subs and coaches better watch out.
    i'm not sure whether jozy should be rested or not - would love to have him fresh for mexico but I don't know if johnson, johannsson and dempsey can carry that weight away to CR. i'll have to ask polythene pam.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When I said it could be "reckless" to play him on Friday, I was talking about his future if he gets injured playing down there. The Italian Nazi will NOT be pleased if we get him injured, and it might be difficult getting him released in the future.

8. SoCalJoe

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

help a 19th century Luddite brother out and tell me how I can subscribe to Jozy's blog. I didn't see any "follow" or "subscribe" buttons. Thanks.

10. SoCalJoe

From one Luddite to another I'm not sure how to subscribe to, but pretty sure that espn is running his blog for the whole season.

11. AggieMatt

Comments are through Facebook only, so maybe you can subscribe/follow there? He's also on Twitter so I'm sure if you follow him, you'll be updated and linked to the new blogs.

If you're like me and don't do either, you just have to go old school and remember to check out espn.com once a week (or however often he posts them).

12. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

I find it really aggravating that ESPN is showing the Mexico game but the USA game isn't available anywhere that I can see. That obscure network that has the rights to this game isn't on DirecTV.

13. SoCalJoe

CR with 10 guys on a yellow, so they're in the same boat. Jozy in training, but not fully so he is a big question mark. Back to the yellows for each team; concacaf have selected a Mexican referee for this match. The US plays El Tri in four days, the Ticos travel to Jamaica, and these are the two teams ahead of Mexico. I don't want to go too Oliver Stone, but let's see how many guys (besides Jermaine Jones :shock: ) from both teams that won't be available next week.

14. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Sac, believe it's on 620 on directv

15. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

ESPN only has rights to USA home matches.

From USSoccer.com (http://www.ussoccer.com/live/wcq-tv-faq.aspx)

16. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd looked at "Channels I Get", which includes channels I haven't subscribed to (including BeIN), and didn't see that channel, thus the rant. For some reason I didn't see BeIN until I switched to "All Channels". Is that channel HD? That would explain it. Regardless, I'll have to resort to other means to watch the game.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

My favorite International start time for a game, 10pm EST. Sigh. Anyone in the chat for this one?

18. AggieMatt

Going to happy hour with friends in a bit, but I should be back for the chatroom. Hopefully for the whole thing, but if not, at least for the 2nd half.

19. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

I'll be there.

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator