Congress finally does something

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 6, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

.. and, naturally, it's REALLY STUPID!
    And, yes, only two Republicans voted against.. congratulations!
    If you can read that whole article, and wonder 'what's the big deal'... then you should have your head examined.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'fog, you are absolutely correct. Fair is fair: to those of you who didn't read the article -- and you should; it's scarier than Final Destination 9 -- one of the two members of the House who voted against this piece of crap is Ron Paul. Congratulations on being the ONLY candidate who cares more about the Bill of Rights than he does being criticized by idiots.

This bill will do nothing to protect any adolescent from whatever evil may lurk in WiFi, but it will do everything to limit the freedom of access of all adolescents, adults, and in-utero folks. The only silver lining is that the bill is patently unconstitutional and should be shut down.

One quibble, 'fog, after 6 years of legislation by signing statement, of House/Senate committees adding huge provisions to "final" bills never discussed in either house, it took you until today to complain about legislation not debated nor available for public review.

3. pettyfog

It is NOT THE SAME THING, don... though I THINK I have done.

If I think that an execuctive signing statement is beyond reason I WILL say so.

And I thought the FISA run-through in August was ill-adviced. Not that I dont trust Dubya to not abuse it.. I dont trust the Dems with it. Sorry, but that's the truth.. Dems DO NOT have a good record on what they do with federal records and wiretapping.

4. pettyfog

For those of you who want stark explanations of what COULD happen if this stinking pile of crap becomes law, somehow:

Report Your Horny Kids?

Is this likely? No. As delivered, wireless routers are set up 'closed' with default WEP security requiring a user to know the access code.
    But we are dealing with danger involving exceptional cases.. and I know full well that there's people cruising neighborhoods looking for open wireless access.
    And if you find one in suburbia with WEP? Just find out their 10 digit phone #, to start. Seriously, that's how some cable data installers set them.
    Not to mention a whole new level of operational requirements for ANYONE running a 'hot-spot'.

Just remember this when your elected representatives insist you address them with all due respect for their office.

5. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I'm glad we all agree that this is absurd. Any legislation on any aspect of internet regulation in any form is obviously unconstitutional. I'm not against peoples wanting to be safe and what not, but I'm not open to a bill that would simply be piled up on in years after this.

I dont want to leave it up to politicians to evolve something like this into a security issue.

I'm also glad that we all agree with Ron Paul : )

Because I've already spent significant time on the web today, who may ask was the other Republican who voted against it?

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yes Paul deserves props for this one. So when is the senate going to vote on this then?

7. pettyfog

Why Not Disband CIA?

With two really blatantly false steps revealed in just over a week, first the ridiculous and already discounted NIE, and now the destruction of the interrogation tapes, it's time to do what Daniel Patrick Moynihan wanted to do over 20 years ago... disband the loose cannon CIA.

As Ed Morrissey points out, commenting on a Christopher Hitchens article:

Yep... we cant afford to have politics playing a role INSIDE the agencies. Let's lend accountability for that... wherever the chips might fall.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Why Not Disband CIA?

1. combining the agencies is and always has been a stupid idea. There would be NO accountability.

2. When Reagan created the post of DCI, he effectively created an overall intel czar. Bush didn't need to create a new one after 9/11 but he did anyway.

3. I disagree with Hitchens' view of recent CIA activities as "rogue" and "treasonous." I think that in (a) inculcating torture as American policy and (b) destroying documentary evidence of their participation in torture, they were doing EXACTLY what the White House wanted of them.

And you guys on the right have to really agree with YOURSELVES. You can't have it both ways. You insist that the problem is with politics being played in the agencies, and then you harp on about the entire problem with the agencies is the bureaucrats. Pick a side! Or is it only politics when they come up with an answer you don't like?

9. pettyfog

RE: Why Not Disband CIA?

Your points are made, especially 3 a and b, on the same basis as the bureaucrats INSIDE made them.

we will go round and round about this, but the FACT is that the President is supposed to run the Executive branch and be accountable for it... that is what you want.

Yet when there is rogue activity, and it is happening in the State Dept as well, whether on anticipation of CYA or actually torpedoing, the Administration directives...; then it's YOU who seem to have it both ways.

That is exactly the problem. We could argue the facts THEN of exactly who in congress of what parties KNEW there was waterboarding going on.

But I would guess you dont really want to go there. And I am STRONGLY IN FAVOR of THAT WATERBOARDING.