CONCACAF Champions League

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Aug 25, 2008.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I think the MLS teams just need to force it into their little heads that they actually need to perform on the road. This isn't SuperLiga where you play every game in the States.

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I figured you weren't serious just a little lippy. I was focusing on the "and actually try to improve the quality of the league" line. Which I took to mean they're NOT actually trying to improve the quality of the league and can be read to mean there actually trying to keep it from improving. That of course would make no sense, UNLESS you had a conspiracy theory, and conspiracy theories as a rule seem to start and stop with zionists.

Also this being a new competition largely initiated by MLS I be surprised were they to pull an NBA and just start ignoring it.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I watched the Chivas USA game (DVRd it and finally found time to watch it). I thought that Chivas was arguably the better side, despite the result, so I really can't give them stick for "not showing up."

The Revs, on the other hand....

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Joe Public took New England to the woodshed tonight with a 4-0 victory and a 6-1 aggregate win. There is nothing good to be said about the way the Revs played tonight.

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

The Revs game was embarrassing; I watched the 2nd half on 5x speed on my DVR.

I can't really complain about Chivas. They played well, hit the cross bar, took a bad penalty, and played a man down. The 3-1 agggregate score against isn't a fair measure of their games, but sometimes the best side doesn't win.

Oh, I'm going to the US Open Cup Final tonight and I did hear on FSC yesterday that the winner will get one of the four American spots in the Champions League next year.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I watched about two-thirds of the Chivas game and I have to say they were a bit unlucky. Tauro's keeper received a yellow card that should have been a red, since he was the last player, for tripping Roberto Nurse. Sacha then took the penalty poorly and Chivas received nothing from the play. Borenstien received his second yellow fairly early in the second half, the first yellow was really soft, to reduce Chivas to 10 men. All in all from what I saw Chivas played well last night but found no luck at all.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So two top MLS sides can't beat a side from a "vastly inferior league." Perhaps the quality of MLS has been just a tad bit oversold?

8. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Who said the MLS has quality?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ABC, ESPN, FSC, GALAVISION, MLS.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I dont think the record in these speaks quite as much to the quality as to the priorities. Nothing new, there, is there?

But Jamie Trecker, who used to be considered one of the best writers on the US soccer scene, has some warnings about that, and MLS expansion.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

USL! USL! USL!

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Did you guys see that Santos game with the team from puerto rico? The one with all the water on the pitch? That was pretty entertaining just because it was so bad and the game was totally out of control.

Plus Santos lost! Classic!

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I caught the last half-hour of the Dynamo-San Francisco match last night. Nice to see a MLS team finally getting three points. If you didn't get to see DeRosario's great goal, you won't see the best part of it on replay. He tackled back [one-on-one] cleanly, controlled the ball, took about 12 steps to align himself and hammered home from about 20 yards.

Brilliant and typically DeRo. It's a shame the guy is 29. He could be starting in a half-dozen European leagues.

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

And if you want to see it, at least the second half and DeRo's great goal, watch FSC right now.

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I saw the final 20 minutes, and agreed it was a fantastic goal. Keeper didn't even flinch.

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

So it takes me not watching a match for the MLS to pull one off. Figures!

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wow! No posts on this thread for over 7 weeks. Well, Brian McChing scored to put the Dynamo through to the next stage of the competition -- the ONLY MLS side surviving this far. Sounds like it was a bloody match, but it also looked like the first-choice lineup for Houston.

Didn't realize it was on FSC until it was over. Sigh.

18. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Quarterfinal draw pairs Houston against Atlante.

The other quarterfinal matchups are:

Pumas UNAM vs. Cruz Azul, Montreal Impact vs. Club Santos Laguna, Puerto Rico Islanders vs. CD Marathon

19. IanHux

IanHux New Member

kick atlante to the curb and then some! From watching them play and lose and cry about losing in superliga I loathe them almost as much as CCCFC. C'mon Dynamo!!!

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Keep your powder dry......til the end of freakin' February!!

Be sure to keep some space reserved in the back of your mind.