Columbus @ Austin [R] {opinion}

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 10, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ended up pretty much a Buckeye fan's dream..

Actually that subject title is an attempt at humor... but I think it points something out... that Columbus sure doesnt need the NFL, and .. probably.. despite some pride in past Cowboys' performances.. Austin -and more than half of Texas- doesnt either.

And.. though it is STILL early, these things take decades... the Buckeyes have illustrated that the new age has dawned. And the reason is Jim Tressel.

Despite Ol Woody's best attempts the Buckeyes never really made their rep past "Big Ten Powerhouse" category... yeah they won the odd 'Big Game' but in showcase national games' they were as likely to disappoint as to shine.

The Tressel Era is changing that. As a head coach, he seems to have a knack for getting in staff that knows how to build a team out of the best available resources, then get them prepared for the BIG GAME... something that Earle Bruce and John Cooper, looking back and thinking "What would Woody do?" could not.

Here's something Ironic for you guys... I never liked Woody all that much.

Now those of you who KNOW Woody's mentality and his rep as a military historian might find that odd.. as I'm a balls-to-the-wall conservative.

Well, it aint so odd...
    Tressel inspires and encourages each player to his best, Woody damn well ORDERED it. And took it personally when his player didnt live up to his standards. Yeah, Woody would have thundered "You let down the team, son!" but he REALLY meant, "You let ME down!"
    Tressel's guys understand him to mean exactly that they're playing for the team.
    Note Smith's aftergame comments; note the team singing in front of the band and fans' section after the game.

The ideal occurs when each person sees the benefit in going that extra bit to ensure success in his endeavors, but only those which benefit the group he's working with.

Now, ironically, it's my view that Woody would have known how to handle Maurice Clarett... while Tressel probably came back to Columbus from Tempe in '02 knowing that Clarett was going to be BIG trouble.

The difference; sometimes you have to cut them loose.

Something most who've followed Terrel Owen's career understand... unfortunately unlike Owens, we dont seem to be able to get the schmuck out of Columbus.

But he's reflecting less and less on Tressel and more and more on the likes of racist thug-apologists such as Jim Brown.

And such is the patience of Jim Tressel.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The nice thing about being from Columbus is that even if the Crew get hammered on a Saturday night, you've still got the Buckeyes.

You do have the Austin-Columbus connection right. Austin needs neither a NFL nor a MLB franchise. UT is all the professional sports they'll ever need.

As far as the coach thing, who knows? You may be right? The thing that drives me to distraction about collegiate sports in the US is the constant harping on the coaches. It's enough to keep me from watching any pre or post NCAAF or NCAAB program, as well as making me want to figure out how to cut the mike cables for the folks calling the game.

Best thing about the UT-OSU game for me? I drove across San Antonio at 8:45 on a Saturday night comforted by the fact that the sports bars wouldn't be releasing their drunks for at least another hour. The only time driving is as safe is when the Spurs are involved in a playoff game.

Congrats, Fog!

3. pettyfog

Ah... but we DID NOT get hammered.

I'll start by positing that Chicago has better players, playing better... and it showed in the game. But so it did, also, in the NE game which Crew won 3-0

But Columbus got after the goal in the last 20 minutes and were only unlucky to not find net to tie.

Ironic that, earlier in the day, both McBride and Boca scored in the last ten to bring Fulham the three points.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I was not impressed with neither Texas nor Ohio State last night. It showed me that there is no unbeatable team in college football which is really, really fun.

Too bad both teams I am pulling for Notre Dame and Michigan are playing each other next week.

5. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I was very impressed with Ohio State, Laurinaitis and Smith were massive last night.

6. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Re: RE: Columbus @ Austin [R] {opinion}

Since Tom already mentioned everything I was going to say I thought I'd just quote his post. Done.

7. pettyfog

Well, I agree, to an extent.
    Yes, that is a healthy attitude for a fan of either of these two teams. Keeps the suicide rate down... :banana:
    Sidenote: Poll shows Michigan fans dont think much of the big rivalry with Buckeyes... and they claim they never have.
    - Point made.
    - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -
    I suppose I'd better qualify my view on ND; as I said eslewhere, somewhere, this weekend: I'm really happy that ND has gotten back up where they were. Makes it all the sweeter when they lose!

"what have you got against ND?"

"Nothing! It's the freakin' fans I hate... for their attitude!"
    - admittedly the same as most Buckeye fans!

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am the same way Petty. I have met a number of Notre Dame fans here in Chicago that are so stuck up and pompous in their attitude of "I went to Notre Dame therefore I am the greatest." It pisses me off and I have met very few ND alumni I like.

9. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Columbus @ Austin [R] {opinion}

same vein:
    The DOWNSIDE of being a casual Buckeye fan... having to listen to 15 minute updates on every Columbus talk station as to 'Buckeye's chances.. performances.. players.. how practice went... does Tressel's hangnail bother him.."

What can you expect when an open practice draws thirty thousand fans.!!!!!

Embarrassing!

But no worse than recent staged arguments in Cincy as to whether it's a Reds or Bengals town!

I think all us 'dumb civilians' are being HAD!