College Football Kickoff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 3, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

My HS has made the OH Division III state semis -- Steubenville HS -- and the Bucks pick up their annual victory over the Little School Up North. Cheer up Meechegan fans, at least Rodriguez will still be undefeated in bowl games.

Tate Forcier, 4 picks? You were just great. Thank you young man, I wish you well in the business world.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

That was a great performance by Forcier. He hit some wide open players. He even had a touchdown.

Why is Michigan sticking by Rodriguez? I really don't see how its going to get better losing the players we are losing.

Oh and I can think of a team in Illinois who needs a new offensive coordinator.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Arizona lost a double overtime classic to Oregon. Talking to my brother the Duck after the game and that was exhibit A on why college football is so great. While my boys came up 6 seconds short (that's when UO tied it in regulation), their effort makes me a proud Cat.

It wasn't RichRod throwing those laughable picks 24, I thought Michigan played good for their age (85 freshmen and sophomores? the cupboard was bare when he got there). If given the time he will win, because that's what he's always done. The big problem is the system is so anti-Michigan that he will get one year at most.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I don't think you've watched many Michigan games if you think they played anywhere near good for their age. The pass defense was one of the worst in the country, if not the worst. Yeah, they are a young team, but the way they played down the stretch was completely laughable and embarrassing. A Michigan team shouldn't lose by 20+ points to a bad Illinois team. It shouldn't happen and I hope the pressure is so overwhelming that the ad has no other choice, but to dump Rodriguez and the system.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Super Saturday: UC v Pitt & stuff

.. or 'Why I am not a coach!'

Watching this game I was torn every way but asunder..
    "They played all season to come to THIS?!"

"Damn.. Pike's having a nightmare, take him out put Collaros IN.. You IDIOT!"

"Damn.. Kelly, you'll fit in PERFECT at ND!"
    So bad my brother who's a Buckeye fan called me up ranting about it.

SomeB**CH! Can Kelly coach or what!
    But I'm gonna admit right now.. if UC had LOST by one point, I'd be howling for blood.
    For you who didnt see it, here's the story:
    Here's some stuff not mentioned in most stories... two of the Pike picks were answered immediately by cinci's defenders.
    Cincy ALSO missed an extra point kick. Next TD they went for two. THAT is coaching!
    - - - - - - - -- -
    ALA 32 Fla 13
    Meyer for ND!!!!!
    - - - - - - -- - -
    Ariz 21 USC 17
    - I reckon that's enuff punishment for hubris; ok Carroll, start winning again. Obviously Arizona's one of the best bad teams in the nation.

- - - - - - -- -
    Or 37 OrSt 33

So.. it's the Ducks gonna make Buckeyes look bad this year.

- - - -
    Boise St.. unbeaten yet unproven again, yawn.

NCAA needs to step in and make SOMEONE play these guys. I know.. force PAC 10 to take 'em.

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Gators can now fuck off to a shitty bowl. I was getting tired of hearing Danielson and Brando talk about Tebow like he was some kind of God. I know the announcers and media love to build people up, but it was getting to the point of pure absurdity. I know I'm not alone in this either. Have a nice NFL career, Tebow.

I still think Gerhart or McCoy deserve the heisman, but now its probably going to Ingram. Still not a bad choice.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Florida LOST, Nebraska LOST, Notre Dame did so poorly that Weiss got fired, The Asshole of Creation is finally leaving the Semi-holes, and TC freakin' U is going to a BCS game.

Sometimes pointy football CAN be entertaining.

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Texas just escaped a great Nebraska team to win an go to Pasadena. I feel sorry for TCU and Cincinnati, but Texas is the better team and deserves a shot at the title.

And can we please put Mack Brown in the same class as Meyer and the like? All he does is win 10 games a year and has a shot at a bcs bowl game every year. Not sure what else a coach can do.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Well Don Barry Switzer is no longer coaching Oklahoma, so yeah. Things have changed.

10. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Deserves the shot at the title yes. Would beat TCU head to head.....not so fast. We'll never know, but if we could see that matchup, I'd lay big money on TCU in a heartbeat.

The gripe on Mack is that he's a great recruiter and not so good at gameplanning. Look at the B12 title game. No adjustments and needed Nebraska to make 2 critical errors to keep from blowing the game. Don't get me wrong, you'd be hard pressed to find a program that wouldn't take Mack's results. But he won't win the Nat'l Championships to be mentioned in the elite.

Getting back to TCU. If the ND braintrust has any sense at all, they need to get Patterson. He's used to getting players in with higher academic requirements. As such, he's proven he's able to identify talent and develop lower rated players. And he's proven he can put together a defense. That was ND's achilles heel under Weiss. Their 2nd choice should be Harbaugh. Kelly's a good coach, but he's shown little ability to build a defense.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

My fellow high school football teammate, classmate, and alum, Will Muschamp from The Darlington School in Rome, GA, is the reason Texas made it this go round. I speak for many when I say we will some day be very happy to see him back where he should be, in Athens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Muschamp

This bowl season however, we'll just have to depend on whichever Mark Richt decides to show up to treat Texas A&M like the little farm girls that they are.

GO DAWGS!!!!

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

TCU is legit and this I'm sick of this BCS crap.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Well those two tidbits just further what I'd already suspected. You really don't have any redeeming qualities. Oh well.

And don't hold your breath on Muschamp. He's the "coach in waiting" to succeed Brown behind the Orange Curtain.

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Orange Bowl. Go Hawks!

15. SoCalJoe

Fog, 'Arizona is one of the best bad teams in the nation', I know you're trying to give me an elbow in the ribs, but my Cats ain't too shabby this year. Aside from 2 of the craziest bounces you'll ever see and we would be playing the Buckeyes in Pasadena.

HD, I'm not a FSU fan, but are you sure not mixing up Spurrier/Meyer or any of the A-hole coaches from Miami when describing Bowden as a jerk? He built that thing from scratch and win or lose was always gracious. A serious class act and his streak of finishing in the top 5 (I believe 10 years on a row) will be very difficult to top.

Oms, I like TCU and there coach alot, but that schedule isn't good enough.

Kelly to interview at Notre Dame...sorry but going undefeated at Cincy gets you 5th place, while going undefeated in South Bend might give you the trophy w/out even playing the title game. At triple the salary, hmm what's he going to do?

16. LaxAttack

Or he could use the interview to get a raise at Cincy. 7-5 gets you fired at ND, while they won't mind at Cincy after the last two seasons.

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I 2nd this emotion. A little loosey-goosey with the rules and giving his players perhaps a litle too much slack, but never really considered Bowden a jerk. That's Spurrier territory. Bobby's just a Southern Gentleman with the usual foibles. Good ol' boy, yes, but one who was willing to surround himself and put his faith in the hands of many a black man. Which for someone from his generation and of his age, is unfortunately much too rare in The South.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SCJ/Christian: I agree that Spurrier is a much bigger jerk. I didn't have a lot of problems with Bowden before FSU joined the ACC [fear the Turtle, y'know], but the belief that God ordained only him to coach FSU and that he had to hang on until 10 years after his death got on my nerves a little. I refuse to believe he's the coach now that he was 15-25 years ago. If he cared all that much for FSU, he'd have retired for a better man before he was basically swept out the door.

19. SoCalJoe

HD, I agree he stayed a few years too long. I remember him saying that 'there's only major event left after you retire and I don't want to sit around to wait for it to happen'.

Fog, A lot of Cincinnati fans are upset (players too) about Kelly leaving, and you can't blame them. Very unfortunate that w/recruiting the way it is that schools don't wait until after the bowl games. When it comes to college football there are a few marquee jobs, and Notre Dame is one of them. Would you leave Cincy for Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Alabama, Texas, or Penn State? Throw in the fact that Brian Kelly is catholic of Irish decent whose dream job was sitting in South Bend and there was no way he's turning it down. If he can turn what was a historically basketball school, in a state where he was always going to be a second banana into a powerhouse, he can wake the echoes at Notre Dame.

20. LaxAttack

I am going to the Orange Bowl and finally get to see my Hawkeyes in person this year and it makes me happy.