College Football Kickoff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 3, 2009.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The sport that atmosphere-wise in the US is most similar to football across the pond starts tonight in Boise, Idaho. Anyone that has been to a big college football game on a Saturday can attest that it's special and can't be found in any other sport in America. Games of the week;

Oregon at Boise State on the blue turf. About 12 years ago I was up in Boise for a wedding and the groom was working at the time for the BSU Atheletic Dept. We got to walk around on the blue turf a little bit and in a word it's...bizarre. The Ducks are the college team I grew up rooting for and are still my second choice (behind my perpetually average Arizona Wildcats). This should be a high scoring affair and a lot of fun to watch. Feel bad for anyone east of the Rockies since it will be too late to tune in to view much of it (7:15 pm pst). My brother will be one of the few in green shirts in the stands but tbh I think he flies home unhappy.

BYU v Oklahoma in Dallas. Sorry Oms, don't think your Cougars will give the Sooners too much trouble, but I'm curious to see the new 1 Billion dollar Cowgirl er' Cowboy Stadium.

Georgia at Oklahoma State. The re-building Bulldogs travel to Stillwater and will find out if OSU is legit or overrated.

Alabama v Virginia Tech in Atlanta. A huge game for both teams' National Championship aspirations (the "playoffs" begin week 1 in college). I detest the lying scumbag Saban, but the man can coach and they've been waiting 9 months since their humilating loss to Utah in the Sugar Bowl.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't usually comment on college football, but the prospect of seeing Oregon's yellow and green uni's against that bright blue turf is just something that has to be seen. I'm sure it's going to drive Time-Warner's technicians nuts! :D

Thanks for starting the thread, though, SCJ. There's nothing quite like close to 200 schools spending four months trying to get a record good enough to gain consideration from a half-dozen nerds using a seriously eat-up computer program. They and only they [the nerds, not the athletes] can decide who are "the national champions."

And, yes, I'll keep bitching about this every year until there's a playoff system or until the BCS makes Maryland #1 at the end of the season.

By the way, the wife's alma mater, The University of the Incarnate Word, began their inaugural football season this past weekend. They defeated the University of Monterrey [Mexico] in a game where there was a pitch invasion by students [?] chanting USA USA USA. Almost made me wish I had attended.

T-E-R-P-S!!!! Fear da Toitle!

3. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

SoCal, I've been waiting for this day since January. It's a great night. First NC State/South Carolina followed by the blue turf. I'm guessing I'll be late to work in the morning so I can stay up for the entire Boise St game. I really think Boise St will win this game. HOwever, the fact that they have no defensive line will allow Oregon to have 200 yards rushing.

4. SoCalJoe

Well that game was ugly (especially afterwards). Guess the Ducks should have worn yellow, cause there offensive line was piss-poor. There is a reason most teams schedule a small school first, and that's to get the offense up and working (both offenses were terrible). The kid from Oregon cost himself at least a million dollars w/that sucker punch and his ridiculous behavior on the way back to the locker room (he was thought to be a late first round/second round pick, now the only draft he'll get is at a bar). My brother who was at the game didn't see the initial punch but was totally embarrassed about Blount's act towards the locker room. The Oregon messageboards want this kid kicked off the team because he's had issues in-house already.

Big ups to the gentleman from Texas who got thru a futbol americano post w/out referring to it as "pointy football" :wink: I will say the toitle could have been wiser than starting out at Cal.

5. EricD

EricD New Member

That was a stupid punch. He was a complete idiot after the punch. See he hit his teammate too? Costly mistake.

Heard someone refer to the field as the Smurf Turf. I had not heard that one before. Clever.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Well it's better than calling it the Bird Graveyard, which would be more fitting.

Has what the Boise St player said come out yet? Not that it justifies the behavior, but I'd be curious to know what set him off like that.

And while I should be glad for my eyes, I was disappointed Oregon stayed away from their hideous yellow duds. Were those supposed to be wings on the shoulder pads? :roll:

7. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I didn't think the punch was as bas as going after fans and just acting like a complete idiot going to the locker room.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

is there a utube on this? I missed the game.

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Put the tv on ESPN or ESPNNews, they've run it ad nauseum all day. I'm sure there are tons of videos of it on youtube by now.

10. SoCalJoe

Ag; Yes those were supposed to be wings (according to my bro, they were designed w/a Pacific Northwest totem pole feel, not a good look).

Blount has been suspended from playing in games for the season (he's allowed to do everything else, and considering Nike has built the best on campus athletic facility in the world, he's better off training there than anywhere else). He was quoted in saying before the game that they owed Boise and "Ass-whoopin". The guy from BSU slapped him on the shoulder and said "how bout that ass-whoopin?" Not a wise decision for the guy operating the jumbo-tron to replay the punch when Blount was walking off the field. that led to hm and the fans getting into it.

Good luck to your Aggies today.

Best game so far. Ohio State surivives Navy. Note to Coach Tressel, when you have a chance against a service academy to end the game (a chip shot field was not attempted, and before you know it Navy missed a 2 point conversion to tie it w/2minutes left) TAKE IT. The service academies are smaller and slower, but their wills are never broken...ever

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

WE ARE

PENN STATE

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Coulda been a perfect Saturday. Coulda had Navy beat Ohio State; coulda had Northern Iowa beat Iowa.

But, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

It was a perfect Saturday for me. Michigan dominated and made Hiller look horrible while the Big Ten was perfect. Awesome start. Let's kick Notre Dame's ass!

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Gotta say I liked Saturday as well. BYU toppled the Paperclips and A&M won and looked good in the process. Granted, it was against an inferior opponent (NM), but we beat them by 5 td's, put up over 600 yds of offense and held a pretty good RB to practically nothing. Much better than the embarassments of last year.

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

PSU?

Fyp. No need to thank me, I was happy to do it :D

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I gotta admit, I ate a lot of crow but man did it taste good. I feel really bad for Bradford. Kid could be making millions right now but he gave it up for a chance to come back and win a title. Talk about bad luck. My sister who lives in Arkansas wen to the game. I told her to quit wasting her time and now I'm not hearing the end of it. Go Cougs!

17. SoCalJoe

USC v Ohio State, ND v Michigan

2 most intriguing games of the weekend (aside from the classic Northern Arizona at Arizona :roll: ) are Notre Dame at Michigan, and the big one Sat. night in Columbus between the Buckeyes and Trojans.

The Irish and Wolverines (24, let me get this straight, you are a Michigan football, and a North Carolina basketball fan? :?. That's borderline illegal) looked good against inferior teams and this should be quite interesting.

USC has got a true freshman at qb, but have a good o-line, and a collection of great running backs. Pryor needs to play great, and I'm one of the minority who thinks this will be close.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: USC v Ohio State, ND v Michigan

actually I think it will be close too, but I'm still going with the men of Troy. As far as the other game, Notre Dame showed me a lot last week. I think Nevada is a pretty decent team and to shut them out completely tells me the Irish are going to be better than I thought. Hard to tell with Michigan and all the drama that's been going on up there. I'm gonna say another close game with the Irish pulling it out due to a more experienced QB.

19. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Oh and I grew up in a Michigan football house and started to watch North Carolina because I liked Dean Smith and the Tar Heel teams of the mid 90's when I was a kid. Since I'm not in college, I never felt the need to change teams. If I had to choose, I guess I'd choose to go to Michigan over North Carolina.

20. SoCalJoe

College Football Payback

Not great in terms of marquee matchups, but a couple of games w/a revenge/shut yo' mouth implications;

Tenneessee at Florida; brash, mouthy Lane Kiffin is in for a hurtin' at the Swamp. After seeing the Vols lose to an average UCLA team at home, their defense will be on the field the whole time. Urban Meyer rolls up the score when he feels his team slighted (ask Georgia and Miami).

Texas Tech at Texas; The Red Raiders denied the Longhorns a shot at the National Title game w/that phenomenal last second win in Lubbock last season. Look for the Horns to win going away.

Arizona at Iowa; Doesn't fall in the above category and only me and Hawksfan_08 care, but my boys actually can go to 3-0 today.