College Football 2013-14

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Aug 26, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Arizona puts a whoopin' on Boston College. Was really looking forward to seeing the so-called best RB in America, Andre WIlliams of BC. Sorry, but he looked slow, had no shake, and is totally overrated. He was first team All-American along with Arizona's Kadeem Carey, but dude wouldn't be All-Pac 12. Both Bishop Sankey of Washington and Tyler Gaffney of Stanford were more impressive.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Pardon me for jumping into the pointy football thread, but I am pleased to see Oklahoma beat Alabama. I know that the BCS was going to figure out some way to make Alabama the national champs if they won and if Auburn lost or looked unconvincing in victory.

Until there's a real playoff system, there'll never be a real national champion. I hate it when the pollsters fake one -- like when LSU beat the #1 rated team and they gave the title to Pete Carroll's USC.

Oh, and I used to NEVER miss the Rose Bowl. This one I did, and it sound like it was a brilliant game.

Okay, that's it. No more pointy football.

Uh, one more thing ... BOO MARSHALL!!!!!!!!!!!

3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

You're basing your entire analysis on one game?

[​IMG]

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ummm.. how can I put this. The BIG GAMES are when the real champs produce.
    Funny thing about RB's and WR's. Good RB's can find a way to look good even when their blocking sux.
    Good WR's can find a way, no matter how good the secondary coverage, if the ball reaches their hands.

Remember how overrated BC's Doug Flutie was? Of course you dont. But Everyone said so... and you can find out on Wiki.

5. SoCalJoe

Got a big laugh Evan out of The Big Lebowski post (now that movie isn't overrated), perhaps the west coast chip on my shoulder when it comes to college football came into play. I guess I was expecting an RB compared to Adrian Peterson and instead watched a less powerful Ron Dayne. He had a great year so maybe it was a bad day at the office, but Arizona has a pretty poor run defense and he looked like he was running in mud.

Fog, not sure 'Everybody" is, but as someone who saw Flutie play a bunch of times he was one of the all-time great college QBs. There was never a player that I could compare him to until Johnny Manziel arrived. Very similar styles where anything can happen on any given play.

Jump, looks like Charlie Strong will become the new coach at Texas. Five years ago it would not be advisable to be the coach that follows Mack Brown, but because of the drop off in the Longhorns play, it's not a no-win situation. Can he handle going from a basketball school where he built the program up, to one of the ultimate pressure cookers where anything but contending for the National Championship is acceptable?

As for the games: The best games were saved for last. Michigan State's D was good as advertised with a tough win over Stanford. Oklahoma's coach Bob Stoops got a huge win over Alabama and Nick Saban in the Sugar Bowl. Clemson edges Ohio State in a back and forth thriller (Sammy Wadkins of Clemson was the best player on the field). Mizzou and Oklahoma State went to the wire also, with the Tigers getting a long fumble return to seal it.

Monday night is closing in with Florida State and Auburn playing for it all in Pasadena. Who you guys got?

6. pettyfog

Well, first..
    OSU Clemson... I got nothin'. Except when your good QB gets dinged and you're behind with a few minutes to go... MAYBE you put in the backup who would be starting about anywhere else. That is if you are really serious about winning the game and the star QB cant run anyway.

Second: Pat Forde glommed on fact SOME players missed Spring Practice and are playing brilliant. I agree with him in principle I dont give a crap about what they do in Spring... but what's the point? The players probably WANT to be there.

Finally.. if Auburn falls on their faces, I wont be at all surprised. If they win, I wont be surprised, either. FSU probably sees their season like I do. That would be a mistake.

PS: I like spunky girls, but this is a bit much:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJOnMpkyTKw[/youtube]

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

And Louisville starts from scratch.....AGAIN. Teddy, Charlie, GONE, LONG GONE, to the pros and Texas, respectively, along with WR Damian Copeland and DB Calvin Pryor.

8. pettyfog

Wow.. that's tough. I feel for you.

Not like that ever happened to some school just upriver a hundred or so miles. ;)

9. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Im taking FSU tonight. but won't be surprised one bit if Gus has a plan that keeps the ball 75% of the game and keeps FSU off the field. Excited to watch though.

10. astroevan

Can't argue with you on that. But my point was that Joe was stating that Williams wouldn't be All-Pac 12 based on one game. I'll be honest - I hadn't heard of Williams prior to the Heisman invites. He had a good season, but I don't think that qualifies him as the best RB in America. The guy didn't even catch a pass the entire season.

I will try to quote The Big Lebowski or Office Space any chance I get.

As follows with my family tradition (both parents and older sister are Auburn grads), I must call for an Auburn victory tonight. I don't know much about FSU except they creamed everybody on their way to being the team playing for the championship with the worst strength of schedule in the BCS era. Maybe they are that good... or maybe half of the top 25 would have gone undefeated with their schedule. I'm curious to see if FSU can stop Auburn's rushing attack. Alabama and Missouri had the two best rushing defenses in the SEC prior to facing Auburn and Auburn put up 296 and 545 yards on them respectively. I don't have much faith in Auburn's defense so I'm expecting the game to be the highest scoring in BCS championship history.

A side note: SEC teams are 7-2 in this year's bowls and ACC teams 4-6

11. SoCalJoe

Will pick Florida State and will probably be wondering why I did so afterwards. FSU hasn't played a close game all year, how will they react in the 4th quarter if they are tied or behind? Other than Clemson the Noles have played a soft schedule, but have destroyed everybody so far. Auburn will not be fazed by Jameis WInston, the Tigers have already faced the likes Manziel, Murray, and McCarron and the usual SEC brutal schedule. Why am I taking FSU again?

12. pettyfog

Well, now I guess you know. And now I guess Auburn knows how it feels to have it won then yanked away. Tough Shiit, Tigers.

The right team won. Go figger.. they did it with MORE than just one end-of-game amazing play. Though I would have rather it had been in a blowout. Otherwise.. see my avatar. And tell me again how a playoff is going to fix the inevitable contentions?
    Nothing personal Evan. Against Auburn OR the SEC. SEC is better than the Big10, overall, no doubt.
    Eliminate the Season tix holders for a season and see which conference sells their stadiums out. No contest.
    And the ACC IS full of weak sisters. Doesnt mean a team can't rise above mediocrity for class. After all, some genius once said:

BTW: I consider myself a cynical realist... imagine how I hooted when low information people {ie; emotional women} posted this on FB:

[​IMG]

Only a shallow thinking idiot wouldn't see past that. Sure enough...
    WaPo: Why being a politician doesn’t pay, in 1 map
    By Chris Cillizza

:banana-linedance:

13. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

"Eliminate the Season tix holders for a season and see which conference sells their stadiums out. No contest."

not sure I follow you on this one Fog. I know. Shocker. But, what's the point of not including season ticket holders?

14. SoCalJoe

The power of the ol' idiot box on that map Fog. Perhaps if Old Spice, Pepsi, or Chevy wanted to spend millions of dollars of advertising on Medical School Dean's coffee breaks that map would be different :shock:

As far as the football game last night, credit to the Noles for chipping away and pulling it off at the end. Biggest key of the night was the FSU Special Teams were far better than Auburn's. Down 21-3 late in the first half and the Noles executed a perfect fake punt and that led to 21-10 at half and the belief they could comeback. Then with 5 minutes left in the game FSU returned a kickoff for a TD.

First look at Jameis Winston in a close game and the kid hung there and got it done when it counted. He is a pure pocket passer, and not a running QB (he's more a young Peyton Manning and less Cam Newton). Auburn did a good job early on collapsing the pocket and putting hits on him. When Auburn couldn't deliver the knockout punch the kid was there to engineer the win.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

A football coach is the highest paid public employee in Maryland? Who is it? Thought for sure basketball would come out tops here. :cool:

16. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

The only way I could have enjoyed the game is if both teams.could have lost.

17. astroevan

Good show last night. A fitting finale to the season. (It would have been better with a different outcome though. :D )

The difference in the end was that FSU made adjustments and Auburn did not.

18. pettyfog

I dunno why I didnt state the name.. simply meant that SEC schools would probably sell out stad easier with the backlog of fans than big 10 could if the regular season ticket fans had to be replaced.
    I dunno much about MD anymore, but maybe cause Driesel isnt there anymore?

And - if oyu dont get it, Coaches arent paid with revenue from taxes.

19. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

'Noles deserved it, for sure. Always thought they were the better team, and their adjustments were superb. Feel bad for Auburn fans, though, it was there for them. At least it was a worthy contest for such a big stage, they seldom are. As for the 'Ville, it's looking like it's back to the future. Everybody seems to think Bobby Petrino is a shoo-in to return today. I have mixed feelings on this, but you can't argue that the guy's an offensive genius, which will certainly get fannies in seats around here.

20. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

In the land of the Turtle, it's actually a tie. Randy Edsall (football) and Mark Turgeon (hoops) are both listed at $2M/yr. You can argue whether coaches are really state employees or not since they're paid from the revenue of (and donations to) the athletic dept and not your taxes.

Aside from the first quarter, I thoroughly enjoyed A&M in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. What a game! And what an amazing swansong performance by Johnny. As a lifelong MD fan, my hatred of Duke has always been reserved for hoops and lax, but the threat of my Ags losing (and getting blown out) by them was nauseating.

I also enjoyed the Nat'l Championship game. Having watched A&M mow through the SWC in it's dying days and the getting smashed by good teams in the Cotton Bowl every year, I wasn't entirely convinced by FSU going in. Once Auburn couldn't get pressure on Winston, the worm turned. It was also ironic that in a season that saw Auburn win several games through good fortune, they gave up the key kick return for td when the guy in the lane where the return was setup to go, pulled up with a hamstring injury right after the kick.

Did anyone else watch any of the Megacast coverage by ESPN? I can't stand addled, old Brent Musburger, so I tried a couple of them out late in the 2nd quarter. The one on ESPN2 was a chaotic mess, but the coaches one on ESPNU was excellent!!! I watched it from halftime to the end and the additional insight was like watching a game with the play by play guy on mute and 5 color analysts all watching different areas of the field to point things out. I would love to see that approach taken with more games. I'd watch it over most every other pbp/color combo going today. If you're a nerd for stats, strategies and all of the how's and why's for what you see teams do, it was nirvana. Even with Matt Millen as a part of it.

Speaking of broadcasts...the Rose Bowl just isn't the Rose Bowl w/o Keith Jackson. I know nothing lasts forever but his voice is so synonymous with that event in my mind. Doesn't help that they chose that tool Musburger as his successor.