College Football 2011-12

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 30, 2011.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Alabama and LSU look to be the class of college football (imagine that, the two best are from the SEC :roll: ). However, they still can't get tripped up at any time. Some great matchups this week;

#3 Alabama at #12 Florida; Tide rolls into the Swamp. Still think their achilles heel is if they get behind and the QB has to win a game for them, but it won't be this week.

#8 Nebraska at #7 Wisconsin; Wonder if the NC State coach is regretting not letting Russell Wilson play minor league baseball and forced WIlson to transfer. The 3 year starter graduated (and earned money for himself and family) and was able to play right away at Wisconsin, and now Whiskey has a chance to win it all. Nebraska is physical and is used to playing in front of a sea of red. The Badgers in a close one.

Arizona at USC :lol: :oops: Okay, this is the opposite of the above games, but I'll be there to witness in person how bad my Alma Mater has become (horrendous so far this season). The highlight will be the tailgating my wife and I will be doing w/the dozen or so SC fans we're going with.

2. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I see you dont have an upset pick of the week. Is it because Michigan destroyed SDSU last week?

3. SoCalJoe

Where's the proof?? :cool:

4. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Arkansas over A&M

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I think A&M will win this one on a late fg, 31-28.

Upset pick: Iowa St over University of Bristol @ Austin.

In the games from the top, I'll take Bammer, Wisconsin, & SC.

And RG3 goes down with his annual injury this week.

6. SoCalJoe

Great time at the Coliseum for the Trojans 7 point win 48-41 over my Cats, but will say the defenses out here on the left coast are hhooorrriibblle. There is a reason the SEC wins the National Title every year, and that's because teams like Alabama and LSU have the great D's. Bama just throttled Florida and is still my pick to win it.

2 heartbreakers in a row for A&M Matt, brutal.

Wisconsin took it to Nebraska. Look out for the Badgers.

7. AggieMatt

Absolutely brutal. Sherman is OC in addition to being HC. He's a little too "NFL" in his play calling. College is a different game. You can't punt on 4th and 1 and rely on your defense over and over, especially when that defense is poor. And he seems to be afraid of going to the well too many times when something works. In the NFL, that makes sense b/c the players are all good and will make you pay. In college, most teams have holes and you've got to exploit them all day when you find them.

I almost went with KSt instead of Iowa St for my upset. Oh well. Weird things happen when you take a ranked team into Manhattan, so while I was wrong on RG3 getting hurt, they did suffer a setback.

8. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Shocked to see Sherman blow two in a row. I do like Sherman, but he better learn how to close these games out.

9. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Holy crap, we might have an 8 win season. Nobody on our schedule can stop us.

10. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Justin, is "We" Michigan? And if so, I think I'll go with 8 or 9. Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois and either Neb or Ohio St?

11. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

We is Michigan and only Nebraska scares me. Everybody else are teams we should beat unless Robinson has a horrible game.

12. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Neb/Ohio st back to back seems tough. But Ohio St can not throw the ball and hit martinez a couple of times and nebraska's offense stumbles. Nebraska can not cover the pass either.

13. SoCalJoe

Justin, Michigan hasn't played a road game yet. They have to go to Northwestern, Michigan State, Iowa, and Illinois. No way they go 4-0 in those games before they play Nebraska and Ohio State.

Game of the Week; #3 Oklahoma v #11 Texas aka The Red River Rivalry. Neutral site, half the stadium in Sooner red the other in AggieMatt's favorite color (to hate) burnt orange. I'll take OU.

Upset Alerts; #22 Arizona State at Utah. The Utes are 0-2 in the Pac-12 (Dorothy you aren't in the Mountain West anymore), but hopefully will beat the Scum Devils this week.

Missouri at #20 Kansas State. K-State coach Bill Synder might be the most underrated coach in any sport in this country. He built a program from a national joke into a national power. He retires, and they go back into the tank. K-State talks him out and right back into the rankings they go. That said, Missouri might be catching them at the right time.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It occurs to me that I haven't said anything dismissive about "pointy football" and that this ommission might render this an "unofficial" thread.

I believe I have remedied that situation. Carry on chatting about POINTY FOOTBALL.

Ahh, that felt good.

15. SoCalJoe

Thanks HD for making it official. :cool:

Btw; Fear the Turtle

16. AggieMatt

You'd be wrong. Joe, don't encourage his self-indulgence.

You omitted Auburn @ Arky and Fla @ LSU as matchups with 2 ranked teams. I like the Pigs b/c Auburn doesn't defend much better than A&M. Florida didn't have an answer for Bama in the Swamp so I see no reason to think they'll beat the Bayou Bengals in Death Valley.

The Land Thieves will beat ESPNMoo in Dallas. tu is fortunate to be undefeated at this point and OU just has too much on both sides of the ball. Three (perceived) quality wins in a row is usually outside of KSt's wheelhouse, but with all of the distractions in Columbia this week, it's likely KSt who is catching Mizzou at the right time. I'll take the Cats in the Little Apple.

I disagree with Utah. UDub rolled them in Utah and I don't see AZ St having any trouble there either. I'm having a tough time finding an attractive upset pick this week, but I'll go with Wake knocking off the #23 Noles.

Now I'm off to go find a topic Don enjoys so I can put my "official" :twisted: stamp on it.

17. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

What an easy win on the road against a decent opponent. We had a field goal blocked and 3 interceptions in Northwestern territory and still won 42-24. Really should've been a 30 point blowout as the interceptions were Robinson's fault and not brilliant plays by Northwestern's defense.

Utah had Arizona State and then fell apart. Turnovers are a killer.

We might have a few undefeated teams this year as there probably isn't anybody that's going to beat Oklahoma, LSU, Boise State or Wisconsin. I would put Alabama in there too, but they have to play LSU. Really amazing to see how good these teams are.

18. SoCalJoe

Some great games this week;

#11 Michigan at #23 Michigan State. Sparty over the years is a team you can never quite figure out, but they will be ready to play Big brother in East Lansing. Brady Hoke has got the Wolverines heading back to prominence. Whoever wins turnover battle wins the game.

#20 Baylor at #21 Texas A&M. Bad blood and a ton of points between these two. Griffin is a great QB and the Aggies will have to score in the 40's to win it, and they will.

#18 Arizona State at #9 Oregon. No LaMichael James for the Ducks. It pains me to say the Scum Devils have a real shot at this one, but they do. Will take the Ducks, but barely.

Upset Alert; (I have to hit one of these sometime :roll: )
    Mississippi State to beat #15 South Carolina.

*** All U of Arizona fans thank Mike Stoops for the effort, but it was time for a change and fingers crossed the next coach is a good one.

19. AggieMatt

No Okie Lite/texas? I'd say that or the Devils/Ducks game is the game of the week. A buddy of mine will be in the stands in Autzen for this one hoping UO's uni selection doesn't lead to permanent vision damage.

Picken's Pokes will light it up and hand Network U another beatdown. I don't expect an OU-style beatdown, but 50-something to 30-something seems likely. I notice ESPN has added their pleas for people to contact their cable/sat provider for the LHN to the crawl now. :shock: :evil:

At home, I'd give the Devils a shot, but I've got to go with Oregon at Autzen.

Joe saved me and my garote a trip to Walnut, CA with his wise prediction. RGIII, Wright and the rest of their offense are fun to watch, but end of the day, they don't have the size/speed in the trenches or in the rest of defense to win this one. And their special teams are nightmare bad. It'll be much closer than I'd like but I think the Ags win by 2 scores. There is no measure to how livid I'll be if we lose this one.

Sparty's inability to run the ball will be their downfall. I think Meatchicken handles them easily.

I like your upset pick Joe, good thinking. SC has a new qb, on the road, against a pretty good team who hasn't played to it's potential yet. Since you took that one, I'll go with Taco Tech knocking off KSt on the high plains. KSt, beware of flying tortillas and guard your buses. ;)

***Joe, thanking Mike Stoops for his effort is like Cambodia thanking the Khmer Rouge for their leadership. Mike Stoops is a jackwagon and his personality is better suited to a coordinator role. He's unstable emotionally, he's a dirty recruiter, and Arizona will be much better off without him. The Cats have lost 10 of their last 11 under Stoops.

20. SoCalJoe

:lol: Matt, the Stoops analogy w.Khmer Rouge seriously busted me up. Yes it ended very poorly, but his predecessor Mackovic is a swear word to Arizona alums. Stoops was a psycho on the sidelines and stroke waiting to happen. He at least got them to 3 bowls in the last 3 years (not saying much, but given what Mackovic did to the program, it was at least respectable). The cupboard isn't bare, but while Mackovic quit on his players and burnt it down, Stoops gave his full albeit limited effort.

Didn't put the OSU-Texas game in out of principle due to the @ss whooping the U of Bristol suffered last week.