College Basketball 2017-18

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Sep 27, 2017.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Has essentially begun with yesterday's indictments by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, the arrests of Chuck Person and other assistant coaches, and the implication of adidas officials and other "unnamed" assistants and recruits on bribery charges. Today I'm working on stories about Rick Pitino and Tom Jurich of Louisville being put on administrative leave, in advance of their likely terminations. With practice scheduled to begin in a few days, this is far from over. The old cliche' "the tip of the iceberg" applies, because this thing will mushroom into a far reaching dragnet before it's over. As for the Cardinals, they'll be behind the 8 ball for the foreseeable future, depending upon who they bring in to clean up the mess left by Messers Pitino and Jurich. We'll know who that will be by Friday, if not sooner. Don't be surprised if your fav school ends up in the news over this. The NCAA is one thing, but the Feds rarely waste resources on things that don't result in significant convictions, fines and prison time. Two of U of L's 2018 commits have already de-comitted this afternoon. The carnage is just beginning.

encorespanish likes this.
  2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Embarrassed to say Arizona is already part of the story (assistant coach arrested). I'm guessing Sean Miller will go w/the Slick Rick move of 'Plausible Deniability'. Every college coach in America knows the sleezy side of recruiting and how the explosion of AAU basketball where shoe companies, agents, financial advisors and youth coach bribes go unchecked (until this FBI investigation).

Jump, I like that you led this thread w/this because let's be honest, this case is and will be the story of the season.

3. jumpkutz

My wife just asked me a question. Why are Pitino and Jurich the only ones in trouble? The answer is, of course, this is strike three. Karen Sypher affair. Strippers in the dorm. And now this. But there will be more. Many more. And come March, there ain't gonna be much CBS can do to gloss over this stuff with their over the top March Madness coverage. It'll be the elephant in the room. And it's ginormous.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I've long suspected we'd reach this place eventually because the stench coming out of the AAU circuit has been growing for a long time now. Heard a reporter on the radio today say 80% of his contacts he spoke to were worried and about 20% were relieved b/c they are sick of the playing field not being level. Given that most of these guys involved aren't career criminals and likely thought they were only violating NCAA rules, I imagine there will be no shortage of folks willing to sing and, as Jump said, we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

On the one hand, part of me is glad b/c the sport needs to be cleaned up. On the other, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was worried about my school. We're an Adidas school and have recruited very well compared to our historical norm. However, I don't see Billy Kennedy being sleazy and I don't hear the AAU noise that we heard when Turgeon and his staff were here. Hopefully that's not just me being naive. And hopefully that's not a bad omen for the Terps either, who are my childhood favorite team.

FulhamDC likes this.
  5. FulhamDC

FulhamDC Active Member

@AggieMatt Was never a big Maryland fan, but always admired Gary Williams. First, because he left a good job at Ohio State to come back to his alma mater, and saved a program under crippling sanctions. Second, because he never immersed himself in the AAU circuit, which is probably as corrupt here in the DC area as it is anywhere in the country - and still won a national championship. He's on the radio here a couple times a week during the college basketball season and he's always great to listen to.

6. jumpkutz

Today's revelations: 1) Feds serving Nike reps now. 2) CBS and ESPN are reporting that "Coach-2" in indictments is Pitino, and 3) Louisville is looking for an interim AD to hire the new interim men's head basketball coach.

7. jumpkutz

Former player and current assistant coach David Padgett named acting head coach at Louisville. Popular with players, but zero head coaching experience. Six month contract, obviously a stop gap measure until coaching carousel season. Gonna be a long season, followed by several long seasons, unless the NCAA decides it's time to dust off the death penalty which, if it's not warranted here, will never be implemented again. Interim AD to be named next week. There is a distinct possibility that Tom Jurich stays. Stages of grief underway in the city, even for people who don't care about sports or are fans of the blue school in Lexington.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Generally takes two changes in leadership and around 10 years to recover after all the fines and suspensions and -- most important -- losses of scholarships take effect. And THEN you can start rebuilding the program -- assuming that the University still wants to hang its identity on the sport.

9. jumpkutz

Somewhat like closing the barn door after the horses are out, but at least they've gotten off their collective behinds and started to do something. Mark Emmert announced today that the NCAA is forming The Commission on College Basketball, ostensibly to clean it up. Here's the short three page announcement for your perusal. I hope they come up with some positive reforms, but I'm a bit leary of the appointees. And who knows more about the game than the people who are paid to observe and write and report about their activities? Yep, a sportswriter, preferably a retired one with no agenda, except to right the wrongs. A dispassionate observer. Even Dick Vitale. Love him or hate him, he cares about the sport.

ncaa 1.JPG ncaa 2.JPG
    ncaa 3.JPG

10. jumpkutz

Rick Pitino will be officially fired today.

11. jumpkutz

Rick Pitino was officially fired today.

12. AggieMatt

Got some FUSA bragging rights up for grabs tonight with A&M v Arizona. I think we’ve got a 2nd weekend team this year, so I’m curious to see how we match up with Joe’s Cats. Hopefully better than our previous meetings. Bill Walton is brutal to listen to, btw.

Love Gary. Lefty Driesell was pacing the sidelines when I used to go to Cole as a kid. Good times.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  13. SoCalJoe

Pretty ugly game in Phoenix last night, but gladly will take a much needed, even if it was lucky, win. Zona fans ain't happy right now, anything short of playing on the 3rd weekend will be an abject failure. There is a NBA 1st rounder who is our defensive stopper about to come back from injury so hopefully the team will take off.

14. AggieMatt

Yes it was. We’d won every previous game by blowout and it looked like we got the yips in a tight game down the stretch. Oh well, I went to a football school so I’m not bent out of shape over it like I’d be if we lost to you on the gridiron.:)

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  16. jumpkutz

Thanks for bringing back this lovely thread ma'am. Hope you all are doing well. My alma mater, Murray State, is back in after a six year absence. I don't expect them to make it past the opening round either, but they've got some weapons to make someone uncomfortable, including a Tulane transfer named Jonathan Stark, who is good enough to play for one of the big boys. We also have a 6'8" 245 lb. "small" forward in Terrell Miller, who could also give a top tier program fits. As always, it depends on the draw, but a 26-5 team ain't one to be pooh poohed.

http://thenews.org/2018/03/03/179887/

17. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Point of Parliamentary Procedure: That Sports Illustrated article headline says "UMBC Stuns UVM With Buzzer Beater for America East Championship". Doesn't a "buzzer beater" require the buzzer to go off while the ball is in flight? Vermont still had half a second of possession to end the game. I return the floor to the chair.

18. jumpkutz

Some thoughts...
    1) Louisville didn't make it (nor should they have).
    2) Murray can beat West Virginia (it's a good match up for us, position by position, except for Jevon Carter).
    3) Kentucky appeared to turn a corner in the SEC Tournament. We'll see, but, if they did, can they get to San Antonio? I wouldn't want to play them right now.
    4) I like the two seeds in this tournament more than the ones. I'd do one bracket picking all of them to reach the last weekend.
    5) TBS sure messed up the Selection Show. One of the worst live broadcasts I've seen a long time. The audio issue with the lip lag was the least of the problems with this debacle. I'd be shocked if some heads weren't rolling in Atlanta this morning.

That. Is. All.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you are so correct sir, and thank you for speaking out!

20. SoCalJoe

When Buffalo banked o_O in their 2nd 3 pointer in a row I knew we were toast. The 3 pointer is the great equalizer. Buffalo shot 15 of 30, Zona 2 of 18..ouch. Loyola made their 3s at the end, Davidson and Stephen F Austin did not. One good thing about the tourney is the news cycle is less then 24 hours on the opening weekend, so my self imposed sports media blackout will be over shortly.

What’s going to last longer is Arizona will have to rise from the ashes (and we will), but probably not until 2021 or so :(

Good luck @jumpkutz @dcheather @AggieMatt as your schools play and to my daughter’s Cal State Fullerton team today.