Cold Case Files: Drugs, Sex and Disco!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jun 12, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Interesting Pop culture retrospects.

Woke early and looking for chewing gum for the eyes, settled on TNT rebroadcast of Cold Case Files solving a 27 yo murder/arson case about Disco contests in Philly. Think an Orthodox Jewish 'John Travolta', son of the Rabbi, engaged to a shiksa, and object of much female lust, male envy.

Ah... brought back much memories. Only reason I wasnt all that much into Disco was I was born too early, already married with kids and paying mortgage and car payments. But unlike MOST music appreciators, I felt disco was at least as valid as much of the Heavy Metal crap that was being put out, especially the improv.

What happened to disco? Too strict a definition... and Michael Jackson. Yes, kiddies.. Michael Jackson was 'Son of Disco'!
    And hip-hop, of course - no less ridiculous than disco in future musicology.

That's what really happened to disco.
    Heres the wiki on Disco, itself. Note the bigotry and hypocrisy against the musical subculture.

What's not stated there is that the 'concept' of disco began much earlier in the century; traceable at least back to the 'flapper era' of the twenties and carried on through be-bop, jive and highlighted at least through 'American Bandstand'.

But the death of Disco had one lasting effect: The elevation of the clinging perception that "Real Men don't Dance".