Coca-Cola Championship Predictions

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by ChicagoTom, Jul 31, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

With the Coca-Cola Championship starting this coming Saturday, I thought I would ask everyone which three teams they feel will ultimately get promoted to the Premiership for the 2007-2008 season.

This is a really tough league to predict, but I will go with the following three teams (in no particular order) :

Leeds United
    West Brom
    Preston North End

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Birmingham

Crystal Palace

Leeds

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You're always in with a good bet by going with who just got relegated from the Prem, since there's a nice cash bonus to those teams. Birmingham did well during the off season by both addition and subtraction, so I think they're up there again. Sunderland not so much. West Brom are ... well, in our house we've called them a AAAA team. Like a lot of baseball players who are too good for AAA but not really ready for prime time.
    Of the others, Leeds look the strongest. Preston had their best shot the last two years. CP lost both their Prem-level striker and their Prem-level boss. Luton lost their most prolific scorer and 1 of their two best midfielders. They also cleared out a lot of their first team squad. I don't think they'll be ready to seriously push for the Prem for at least one more year, sooo ..

Birmingham
    Leeds
    Wolves

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Wolves seem to have been active in the off-season. That was a team I considered, but do not know enough about.

Oh Mad Hatter, please tell us more.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

nothing special in the way of intel. They just got off on the wrong foot last season and started a little late, and then by the time they had assembled their feces, it were pretty much all over bar the shouting in the top 6. I think they've improved, and I think they have the financial base to support a move.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

As someone who supports both Wolves and Crystal Palace, I do not see either of these teams doing it this season.

As Don mentioned Palace lost there best strikers and best defender in Emmerson Boyce and one of their better midfielders in Fitz Hall.

Wolves lost Joleon Lescott, Kenny Miller, the South Korean player and one or two others. We will see what Mick McCarthy can do this season, but I honestly do not expect much.

I would say Palace has the better chance of these two, but I am just not seeing it. I hope they prove me wrong.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's really a crap shoot, though. After Preston lost Eddie Lewis and made several significant changes in the close season last year, I thought for sure their playoff hopes were shot, and then they almost made it to the Prem, so who knows? That's why they gotta play 'em.

Good thread, ChiTom!

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Yeah for real Don, picking the teams to get promoted is a real crap shoot. We will have to all revisit this thread when the season is over. We will all be havin' a laugh at our picks.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I was just in town and walked by the Betfair shop where the odds are currently for these three teams.

Birmingham 9-2
    West Brom 11-2
    Sunderland 7-1

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

What the hell:

Leeds
    Crystal Palace
    Norwich City

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Wolves-They lost their best Midfielder Ki-Hyeon, but they have enough to make a push for Promotion. Mccarthy also isnt a bad manager and is good at Promotion just look at what he did for Sunderland before last season. With the funds available I think he could really be a decent Premiership manager.

Leeds-They defenitley have the talent to gain Promotion. Kilgallon at CB is class at this level and Healy is a very good forward when healthy. I like them to gain a automatic promotion spot.

Birmingham-Surely with that much talent they have to go up? I absolutley hate them because they are so boring, but they have by far the most talented team in the league.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

One thing I learned from last year, you shouldn't pick the heavy favorites or the most talented team. :|

Newspapers were picking Watford for relegation. Go figure.

14. FulhamFire

FulhamFire New Member

Preston North End
    Norwich City
    Wolverhampton

Crystal Palace is sinking down, not going back up.

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Hull
    Birmingham
    Southampton

16. DCDave

DCDave Member

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I know your not supposed to pick favorites,but Birmingham's team is Premiership quality. They didnt lose Upson or Dunn and got a whopping 11.5M+ in transfer money for Heskey and Pennant 2 of the most overrated players in the EPL. Jerome is a star and can score easily 20+ goals and Upson should be like the John Terry of the Championship. Add to this the players they are trying to bring in and its scary.

18. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Derby County
    Hull City
    Cardiff

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am going to make a change to my picks. As of August 2, 2006, my predictions for promotion are:

Southampton - my choice to win the league
    West Brom
    Leeds United

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What prompted this "Upon Further Review" thang? :D