Club or Country, Redux

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, May 28, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm now beginning to understand the cynicism displayed by some Brit fans when it comes to pride in their club v donating talent to the National Teams.

Sure it's a point of pride to have your players all go off to fight, but what about the results?
    Frankie Hejduk's situation puts a point on it for me. The Crew sorely needs him, he went off last time and did brilliant. We got a shadow of his self back. Now he's injured again, PROBABLY due to subconscious favoring to avoid re aggravating the former knock.

Goes to show there's plenty of nuance to consider on who you really want selected, let alone playing. It's great that even Duncan Oughton, who is a bit player on the Crew, sees lots of playing time for NZ, but it's the Crew who's paying him his living wage and, if he gets smashed, the All Whites aint gonna chip in diddly squat.

Alejandro Moreno picked up enough confidence playing with GBS to be selected and actually PLAY for Venezuela. That didnt happen much before Sigi brought the two together. so.. if Ale gets hurt, will Chavez donate a tanker of heavy crude?

A rising star on the Crew is Emanuel Ekpo. He is a regular player on Nigeria and got in a lot of time when they Silvered in the Olympics but he's just LEARNING to be a professional player. Will he come back in one piece and with the proper team attitude?

Suppose Chad Marshall got his due as one of the best CB's ever produced in the US {and that includes those guys over there, watch him on 50-50's} and got called in and actually played. And got a McBride-type knock in the head. His career would likely be OVER.

I SURE am of the opinion I hope Robbie Rogers finishes his 'schooling' here, and is on a European team before he gets regular calls from USMNT.

Yeah, I really DO care what the US does when it gets to the WC. But I've also seen the intangibles, no matter where you are ranked you can come a cropper and the results aint gonna matter all that much. Ask US opponents in '02 WC.

So, despite my 'on its face' tepid support of the Crew, and certainly Fulham, I have to say I think country aint as important in my day to day fandom. Or should I say 'Supportership'.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well put; this is something that keeps beer flowing at thousands of pubs throughout the UK, and has for some time.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hmmm reckon that's good enuff for the front page?

Been a while since I wrote anything suitable. Must be the re-acquaintance with Crew Stadium - and maybe personal exposure to Nordecke.. DAMN, Is That SOMETHING!

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It could well be. You might want to flesh it out with some references of specific incidences from other countries.

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

My understanding is that FIFA insures the players 5%. From there, the governing body of the league the club plays in usually insures 50% (at least the FA does) and the club can insure the player for the rest. Course, you're still w/o the player who is injured, but there is financial recourse. No clue how or if MLS insures it's internationals.

**the percentages may have changed since the last World Cup.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

It goes both ways. Some players only make it to the club they are on because of their play for their national team. But Fulham is going to have to get some more players if they are going to adequately handle Europe, league play, and all national team players we have. So yea, the only Fulham player I want going to play for their country is Dempsey (and even that is only until (and if) we qualify). Also, I remember reading in article about Dempsey at the beginning of the season when he was ridin' tbe pine for Woy. He said playing for the national team was the only thing keeping him going. Imagine that is true for guys like Beasley, Altidore, possibly Adu at times.