Cleveland City Stars graduate to USL-1

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Dec 4, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I didnt know this. Thanks for posting BarryP!!! It's a little scary to think this team is only one division below MLS.

3. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

RE: Re: Cleveland City Stars graduate to USL-1

Yay promotion in the US!

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Will they still play at Krenzler Field. downtown on CSU's campus? That is a small barn. Don't get me wrong, it's clean, nice, comfortable, a few blocks away from downtown, but it doesn't seat more than a high school football stadium.

5. Clevelandmo

There's no talk of changing where they play. Krenzler field only seats 2000 but they could add seating on the other side of the field. It is a nice location and the only other better field I know of is in Parma - I rather not go there for City games. I'm assuming they cant afford Browns stadium.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

high school football stadia in Ohio only hold 2000, Steve?

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Bite thy tongue, Donmeister.

In eastern Ohio, it is king, especially in my native little hamlet. Steubenville is a town of probably 17,000 now and packs 4-5K in the stands for the Friday Night Lights. We've won thee state title 3 times (we won it three tiiiiiiiiiiimes, sorry if I used that joke before). We made it all the way to the Div IV state finals this year before falling at the last hurdle to a team from Dayton that ran the wishbone very well, Kettering Alter, 21-6.

Old farts like Don would know Steubenville as the home of Dean Martin, he makes references to it in a lot of his movies.

8. Clevelandmo

Just so you know, I was refering to soccer specific fields only (other than Browns stadium, which is the only field with a better location than Krenzler and has hosted the almighty USMNT). Yes there are plenty o football fields around here.

9. Clevelandmo

Cleveland City not doing too well in USL Div 1. They are 2-10-4 (second from the cellar). I just looked it up. I have not been following them this year so maybe it's my fault. I've been too busy and as Steve suspected, they did move to a 5,000 seat high school football stadium. The latter being the main reason I'm not following them. The stadium is out in a bland suburb. The last two years I loved going downtown first to a pub for dinner and brew and then to a City game.

However, I took a peek at their roster and now I will have to catch a game. Look what I found

http://www.clevelandcitystars.com/gordon-kljestan

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The three mystical numbers that sync with Diet Dr. Pepper!

And, it probably is your fault, but don't punish yourself too extensively.

11. Clevelandmo

I'm drinking a Diet Dr. Pepper right now

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

all is right with the world, then!

13. Clevelandmo

And I just looked this up also since I didnt know what Don was talking about.

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2005/re ... 121505.htm

The internet is going to make me so smart.