Choking, choking Arsenal

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SteveM19, Apr 18, 2010.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

First, that kid Danny Rose from Spurs scores what may be the league goal of the year against Wenger's whiners. I loved Rose's reaction afterwards, like he couldn't believe what he had done -- good for you, young man.

And Arsenal chokes away a 2-0 lead in the last ten minutes against Wigan, who apparently only decided to play with any kind of competency in the last ten minutes. Hey, it was enough! Way to show what you are made of, Gunners.

Maybe I am just ranting, but I wanted to put this in cyberspace.

2. sullytex

sullytex Member

I watched this game up till the 75th minute and left the bar. I was shocked when I saw the result a bit later. Wish I would have stuck around to see the meltdown. Wigan fans must have went absolutely mental!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

:D and the award for the Best Performance by a Jensers Impersonator in a Featured Role goes to:

SteveM19 :banana: :banana: :banana:

Just poking fun atcha, big guy. 8)

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Poking fun at me or him.

Oh well - both of us then.

Wonderful strike by Rose. And follow it up with another 3 points against the scum. Great fun.

You should all be Spurs supporters after they may have just robbed Chelsea of the title.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you're right; poking fun at both of you! :wink:

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Nice try, but no. My dislike for Spurs seems to go up each year.

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

As your love of Arsenal grows...

Its ok - you are not alone. The media and advertising machine doing its job of holding up the Gooners as some kind of brass ring.

I dont blame you for being one of the many who are duped.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I can't dislike them both? Thanks for the clarification and the compliment. Very emblematic of the mascot for the club you're supporting there. :wink:

9. Jensers

Jensers New Member

You like Cocks huh? Well that explains everything. Most closet Gooners feel the same.

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

(BTW - this is just friendly popping off... If someone is of such persuasion I apologize if I have offended)

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Ah, my attempt at instigating has proven successful.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yer nefarioius, senor.

13. Jensers

Jensers New Member

All in good fun.

In all honesty tho - Arsenal has done something special with their marketing and image. They can win nothing, put nearly ZERO domestic players on the pitch, and still convince most people to pontificate about their style and high browed'ness.

It makes me sick - So I love it when they lose and you get to see Wenger squirm.

But you have to hand it to them - their PR and Marketing is impressive.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

it helps them that they're not managed by a thug that has bankrupted [or nearly so] four clubs and then abandoned them.

Truth is that I enjoyed my one trip to WHL in the early-mid '70s. The football was breathtaking to watch, the crowd was filled with humor and self-deprecation. The sightlines were good, and the idea that four Americans would take the time to travel down from Bedfordshire sort of tickled the imaginations of the older guys we stood with. By contrast, this was the period when Arsenal would completely shut down after going ahead, even if it meant that they played 11 behind the ball for 85 minutes at home. Highbury was, indeed, a library and we wouldn't have visited there more than once had it not been for the fact that it was the easiest ground to get out of and go north to Cockfosters.

And I had no problem with Spurs until they signed Harry Redknapp who I believe is an absolute blight on the game. But somewhere along the line, something has happened to the humerous, knowledgable fans I met in North London.

1. They ignore the fact that they've won nothing in the Prem era and then belittle Arsenal for having won nothing in the last five years.
    2. Very much in the manner of the smug Red Sox fans, they assume that their doing well is something that everyone in the football world would applaud and desire, and that anyone who expresses a dislike for the club or their manager are in thrall to Arsenal [or the Yankees to complete the metaphor].
    3. They assume that the very fact that someone dislikes Spurs is proof that they are ignorant of football and somewhat less than manly.

I've watched this grow over the last few years, and it's not very appealing. But what do I know, I've just been reading too many articles praising The Gunners.

15. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Yes - too many articles.

This is the same argument we have had a number of times, but once again I will make the point that Harry does not sign checks.

They wanted to win - Harry did that for them. If they got overextended that is their own damn fault for not realizing their place and financial condition.

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Champions League.

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Arse Resched Rejected

Whoateallthepies: Premier League Reject Fulham Fixture Bid
    - ---- -----------

Some OT personal Background Perspective:

When you dont know much about a sport or its teams, brand recognition is pretty damned important.
    When I spent the summer of Mt St Helens in London*, one of my plan checkoffs was to bring back a 'Club Shirt' of some kind. What I knew of english soccer was what I read in SI... or occasionally saw on "Wide World of Sports"**

SO, when I made the trip to Harrods {where ELSE would I go?} to get that shirt, I sure''s hell wasnt going to pick out a Newcastle or Liverpool shirt, i was going to get a London club.. and one there would be a chance of recognition.. AND - important - a cool badge besides.
    {Age of Izod, remember}

So guess which I chose from... you got it!
    Either Spurs or Gunners.

Spurs badge shirt is actually better but I dont wanna forever explain a sports team with a Chicken avatar.

* THIRTY FREKIN YEARS AGO THIS MONTH!!!!!!!! {sob}
    ** Reminder: ABC / ESPN gets a LOT of cred and passes for numpty, just for what they did in the seventies and for soccer.

18. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Arse Resched Rejected

All I know is that I am so happy that my two clubs are doing well.

Yes - they share the same city, and yes they share the same table, but I am pleased to be enjoying the rare chance to be around when both of them are flying high.

Chicken or no - it is a good badge. Gooners have a good badge as well for brand identification as you pointed out.

The bigger issue is explaining the nickname, 'lillywhites,' to folks that dont know anything about the game.

You might as well just say, 'pantywaists,' based on the look they give you.