Chicago Fire blocked McBride loan to Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ohio4fulham, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Maybe i'm the only person who didn't know about this ... but i was watching the video on the official site in which Roy was interviewed about the transfer window and he said that they were trying very hard to get McBride back on loan for the rest of the season, but that Chicago wouldn't let it happen.

I know McBride isn't exactly young and that Kamara is getting healthier ... but I still would have loved to have Brian back!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsA ... Video.aspx

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

PISS ON 'EM!!! the Fire that is! Sorry Fire supporters, but I would have died to see Big Mack back in the white and black!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As much as I love Brian, how did anyone think that it was in the best interests of the Fire and the MLS to let him go on loan this late in the preseason?

Oh, and you don't get to be angry at Cashley Cole or Berbatov for negotiating with one club wnile on the books of another if you were all for seeing McBride try to worm his way out of his Fire contract for one more shot at the Prem.

Everything has turned out the way it should, and nothing besmirches Brian or his integrity.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I imagine the exchange between the football club and non-football ownership went something like this:

Fulham: Hi, yes, we're interested in possibly acquiring Brian McBride on loan until May.

Chicago: Let me put you to personnel...

[six hours later]

Andell Sports Group: Hi, still there? We're not selling Brian.

Fulham: We're not interested in buying we just want him for a few months, on loan.

Andell Sports Group: Sir loans require payments to pay off the sum.

Fulham: In football, no. He's familiar with what we mean, and is on board. And who are we talking to? We want to speak with Chicag---

Andell Sports Group: Andell Sports Group and its subsidiary the The Chicago Fire soccer team represent the synergy of soccer, media, and business so we're quite familiar with the term 'loan.' At this time our entity has no interest in releasing assets.

Fulham: Excuse me?

Andell Sports Group: Such further inquiries should be made through our budget resources division. Thank you and good day.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Don and Timmy officially sucked all of the fun out of this thread. Damn you "Realists"!!

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I still would've like to see it happen. It won't make or break the season, but damn it.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

See those 'dots between the lines'? Don hints at the end.

Wth makes any of you think Fire wouldnt have released Brian ... IF HE'D REALLY WANTED TO GO?

Now.. THINK about it, with the view of his recent history before you reply.

Does it besmirch his integrity? Nope! Same as him not even considering going back to the Crew. He deserves to be able to plan his life.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Even if the plan includes a short jaunt back to jolly ol' England.

How dare the MSL think that one of their franchises is more important than a Legend, who wants to, returning to the welcoming confines of his Cottage Home!!! I mean that. Selfish bastards!!

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress ... bridegate/

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Come on... it News of the World. Apparently they scooped the Sun. I'm not believing a word of it until I see it reported by a place that does journalism rather than whatever it is the bottom feeders of London do.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

If any of this is true of course they blocked the move. Why wouldn't Chicago have blocked the move? They jumped through hoops and traded away one of their better forwards last season to get Brian's rights. I would have blocked the move too.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

It's temporary. And it's only to the end of the Premiership season, end of beginning of MSL season. Premiership Legends make good PR and sell lots of strips with the Legends name on it. Stupid to think he could not come back in, match fit, in May and not have a substantial impact, if not more so with the right strategic marketing and coaching angles.

12. BarryP

BarryP New Member

It may be temporary deal but McBride's deal was primarily done to win a championship and not a deal to sell strips. Chicago wants to win and they want to win this season. Blanco and McBride are both aging and Brian has publicly stated that he might not play beyond the end of this season. There was no upside for Chicago team that is focused on winning now in this deal. The 'temporary deal' as you call it means McBride misses all of preseason training and the first matches of the year. If you care about winning you do not do this deal. I thought you were all about winning WB and now you can't see the downside for Chicago to McBride missing the preseason and the first four matches of the season?

13. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I totally agree Barry though would have liked to see McBride anyway for selfish reasons only. WB is a known MLS hater, so any comments he makes have to be taken with a grain of salt.......and go figure he would be on the side of European football to the exclusion of McBride's home side. Predictable really. It would be quite amazing that anything McBride could do in the next several months with Fulham would elevate his status in the US any further than it already is.......to think otherwise is silly in my humble opinion.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Or he could've busted his knee up again and then everything the Fire did to get him would've been a waste.

15. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

When is the MSL and its fans going to realize that they are really not much more than a feeder league at this point, or place for those considered past their prime to give a final hurrah or resurect a career for a final push back to Europe.

As a TRUE Fulham Fan, I don't really give a shit what the Chicago Fire wanted. They need to know their place.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Somebody needs to post a direct quote from Brian -- either video or in a print interview with him. I think what happened is that Brian said to Roy, on the phone, "Sorry, they won't let me come; I'm disappointed, too." Brian's a class act. There's no way he's going to trash his employer for not letting him work for somebody else.

Oh, and Christian ... PISS OFF!

17. jmh

jmh New Member

As a Red Bull fan, I don't really care what the fire wanted, but as a person with a brain (and one who isn't too much of a snob to care about the MLS) I recognize the legitimate interest the Fire have in protecting their investment.

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Woooo-hoooooo!!!!! :banana:

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

:3d laughing: