Chicago Auto Show

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 13, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

YouTube: Mean and Green

Good: The advance in Hybrid looking to 'plug-in all electric'.

Bad: Too much emphasis on Flex-Fuel, Ethanol, Bio-fuel.
    There aint enough bio around to fill all the tanks !!! Freakin IDJITS!

Hope GM didnt sink too many millions into their ethanol/flex... especially seeing that conversion kit which looks cheap to build and buy.

And considering the nano batteries around the calendar corner.

And ????: That hulking road behemoth for soccer moms! Hope that ass-hat goes broke. He should'a checked hummer sales by model!

2. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Bio fuel will get us into more trouble than it is worth. Environmental degradation, soaring food costs, etc.. The answer lies in solar power, renewable resources.
    Plug in electric cars (Chevy Volt) may have no emissions, but when you plug it in you are getting energy from coal burning power plants and nuclear plants. All the while, they are introducing a new generation of muscle cars, i.e. Camaro, Challenger. I hope customers shun these unnecessary old tech pieces of garbage and make wise decisions. Big 7 liter v-8's are no longer necessary to produce high volumes of power. There are turboed four cylinders out there that are just as fast if not faster because they are lighter. Lighter is the key word. Cars are so heavy today! I understand some of that weight is due to added safety requirements, but how many flip down monitors, speakers, and nav systems does one need. Buy a map for crying out loud.

I will say Hummer needs to go though. What a slap in the face to doing what is right.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Your point on bio-mass is dead-on. There is NO waste bio-mass. It all converts.. either by being returned to the earth where the plants are grown, thus reducing synthetic fertilers. And if it's put into a modern landfill the breakdown gases are recovered, and used for power.

And there arent enough 'deep friers' to power one-tenth of the diesel fleet. Nature already provides us with bio-mass fuels, it's called 'Petroleum'. Nature did the preliminary steps and for us to think we can do it more efficiently?

Hardly the same thing. One requires filtering / sequestering of resulting CO2, Mercury, Sulphur.. The other, nuclear, requires sophisticated refining and disposal of waste product.. but waste that has so far been shown the ability to be recycled and used for fuel, again as technology improves.

The only thing 'nuclear' has to get past is hysteria brought on by 'Know-Nothing' environmentalists, buttressed by cynical ass hat pols like HArry NIMBY Reid.

And which, by the way is routinely ignored by the 'informed' nation of France, which we really have to look at to see nuclear efficacy.. not Russia with it's record of shoddy corner cutting, resulting in Chernobyl. Nor Three Mile which all said and done was nowhere near the nightmare envisioned but rather a string of highly unlikely circumstances, which are now accounted for in plant operation.

NOT to mention the fluidized bed reactors now being built are far safer and more controllable than the old 'rod-pile' type.

Solar: there's a future. But to say Solar can provide significant power without thousands of square miles of elements is to not understand it. New-tech thin film/flex substrate Solar can power a house, given reduced power usage and more efficient appliances but it's useless in commercial/industrial needs.
    Unless we nuke several sandy deserts and lay out the elements in the glass floor.
    - NIMBY

Wind Power? A pretty thought and a sop for some.. insignificant in scale and always will be. NIMBY.. ask Ted Kennedy.
    Tide/current power: Like an underwater windmill. But less obtrusive and more power/vane ratio. Watch the greens start howling about that too. Another NIMBY but more NIABY

- - -- - - - - - -

No one makes 7 liter muscle cars anymore, they are built as aftermarket but they simply arent efficient enough to roll into production corporate mileage requirements.

4. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I'll let you guys debate this and tell me the best thing to drive...way to much to consider for me...besides I have my new Fultime to read!!!

Thanks Don!!!

5. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Not quite 7 liters but close enough:

New Dodge Chalenger SRT-8: 6.1L Hemi

GM's 6.0 liter LS2 engine in the new Camaro, CTS-V, Trailblazer SS etc..

Pontiac G8 will have 6.0 liter v8 option as will the new Camaro.

Oh and Z06 has the LS7. It is a 7.0 L