Champions League 2009/10

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

This made me laugh out loud in a public library.
    [/quote]

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Some decent matchups, but WhitesBhoy's CRISTAL Ball says, "Clear Winners!"

The matchdays are:
    First Legs: February 16&17 and 23&24
    Second Legs: March 9&10 and 16&17

Second Round

VfB Stuttgart v Barcelona = Barca (Deutschland Appetizer)

Olympiakos v Bordeaux = Bordeaux (The French club is aging well.)

Internazionale v Chelsea = Chelsea (The hype and entertainment surrounding the matchup will be better than the actual matchup.)

Bayern Munich v Fiorentina = Bayern Munich (Bayern are sooo lucky with this draw, but Fiorentina will give them fits, or is it fitz in German.)

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla FC = Sevilla (CSKA gets smacked sober and comes down from their qualifying high.)

Lyon v Real Madrid = Real Madrid (No contest, really.)

FC Porto v Arsenal = Arsenal (Tough matches, but Wenger knows how to get the most from his squad at this point.)

AC Milan v Manchester United = Manchester United (Hoping for an upset, HD be damned, but Man-yoooo hits their stride very soon.)

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Rooney scores twice w/headers (somewhere Gooch was yelling he could've stopped them) ManUre beat AC 3-2, from the highlights it looked like there was as much defense as you would find at a NBA all-star game.

Lyon prove that they're no push over and hand Madrid a 1-0 loss

4. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Damn it

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Yeah, and we have to wait another 2 weeks for this boring tie to finally end, because UEFA extended the Sweet 16 to maximize television revenue.

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

ManU burned up all of their luck for the next 2 years in that game.

They could EASILY have been down 3-0 in the first 20 minutes; Milan was cutting through them like butter. It was the best I've seen Ronaldhino play in years; ManU has no answer for him.

They REALLY rode their luck when Ferdinand took down the Brazilian on the edge of the box; arguments either way whether it should have been a penalty or just a free-kick, but at the very least a sending off. NOT EVEN A FOUL WAS CALLED.

ManU's first goal was a complete fluke - ball bounced off Scholes' plant foot and rolled off the post into the net.

Milan tired at the end, but the game should have been put to bed by half-time. Based on the performance, a 4-0 halftime score would not have been undeserved.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

FABIANSKI FOR ENGLAND!!!!!!!

At least for the first match of the World Cup.

Two people seriously showed their asses yesterday in Portugal.

One was Fabianski for gifting Porto BOTH goals. On the first he came off his line just enough to turn around and Tony Warner a cross into his own net. For the second, he picked up a Sol Campbell back pass giving up an indirect free kick. Then, while the rest of the Arsenal team evidently were checking the neatness of their hair, he handed the ball to the referee. The ref then put it down in the area. One Porto player side-footed to another and then GOAL.

The other guy to seriously show his ignorance yesterday was Arsene Wenger, who slated the ref. Wenger (1) claimed the ball was an "accidental" backpass and that Fabianski shouldn't have been called for the foul, and then (2) said that the referee should have waited five or six minutes for the Arsenal team to wander back to defend the indirect free kick.

The first claim is seriously bogus. The second Fabianski picked up the backpass, Campbell buried his head in his hands. The second claim is just ridiculous. This was a critical portion of the match. Arsenal didn't ever make a move to defend a free kick against them. They had plenty of time to rush into their penalty area to attempt some sort of defense. Is Wenger seriously expecting anyone to believe that seasoned professionals don't know what to do when this sort of foul is called?

Whiny bitch.

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Consider who is asking it. I think you just answered your own question there Don.

9. SoCalJoe

HD, did you also have to mention Tony Warner? I had blocked him out of my memory 8)

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I laughed out loud three times while reading this rant.

As an aside, how many more games has Mannone got for the Arsenal, besides our game? He was man of the danged match that day -- you aren't going to tell me that on his day, the two sometimers ahead of him are good enough to keep him out of the sticks.

11. SoCalJoe

The goal by Robben to put Bayern Munich into the last 8 was absolutely sick.

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

BAYERN through. Now up to REAL to keep this interesting.

I'll be watching Man-yoooo v. A.C. though.

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Adios, Real Madrid. Lyon weren't the wine-sipping, cheese-nibbling, surrender-monkeys that you thought, eh?

And now I owe WB another freakin' bottle of wine b/c of Real's primadonnas.

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

ManU dismantled Milan. After a close fought first leg, I was expecting better. I must admit, though, Milan looked much more likely to score after Becks came on; he almost scored a cracker himself.

15. BarryP

BarryP New Member

ManU completely outclassed Milan. There was never a time when I thought Milan were going to put any pressure on United.

Lyon deserved the victory. They defended well and were quick to put Real on the backfoot with their counter attacks. Lyon was clearly the better squad in the second half.

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Don't worry about shipping, I'll be by to collect in person this Summer!

17. SoCalJoe

No worries Nev, just head down to Trader Joe's. For $5 you can get a couple of bottles of the "2 Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw) Cabernet. It'll be a big upgrade to the Wine in a Box WB normally drinks 8)

18. SoCalJoe

Can't stand Italian teams, but any team beating those scumbags in blue, and knocking them out of the CL is fine with me.

Drogba; This ass is a total embarrassment, an utter disgrace, anytime he losses he turns into a five year old. He can't take his ball and his crying ass home anymore, so he ends up stamping someone every year they get knocked out. Terry, Cole, and Drogba are pr#%*s of the highest order and don't they play for the perfect club?

Note to self; stop being surprised when any team from the former Soviet Union (this time CSKA Moscow) plays well and advances.

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

It's the hints of plastic and cardboard that made me fall in love with its character and full body.

20. jmh

jmh New Member