Champions League 2009/10

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

This has probably been covered already, but if you have directv, the uefa channels in the 400s carry every match each day.

Drooling.....

Whitesbhoy, how about your own show: "Men on Football" ??

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

"WhitesMen Can StepOver"??

Know how to do a podcast nevzter?

We'll be famous and rich!!!

BTW, where's my wine?

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Speeking of where is? Where is Gooch? The back line for Milan is looking shaky!

4. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Is that pay-per-view or some other additional fee? I have the extended sports pack which I ordered because it included Fox Soccer and Gol. Wonder if I get this as well? Can't wait to go home tonight and check.

...so why is it that I can watch tons of games involving teams on the other side of the world, but when the USA plays Honduras, it is not televised?

5. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

I just ran my carpool kids home after school, and ran inside to check out the DirecTV situation. Sho nuff, every match is being televised. There's even a "mix channel" (461) with all the matches showing simultaneously in small, clickable windows. Its awesome!

This spring, come the knock-out stages, I could see taking an afternoon off work, stocking the fridge with beer and munchies, and immersing myself in soccer for a few hours.

...again I ask, why is it that I can watch Wolfsburg v CSKA Moscow playing an early round group stage match, but a key USA-Honduras World Cup Qualifier is denied me?!?! Satellite TV can be a cruel, cruel place.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was wondering that as well, BarryP, especially after Milan got hammered 4-0 in the league. Evidently, from what I read however, just because Gooch looks good against El Salvador doesn't mean he can play in Europe. And here I thought he thoroughly embarrassed Torres when Standard played Liverpool in the ECL last season.

He didn't appear in the squad in their league match either. I wonder if he picked up something in training or in the TNT match.

7. nevzter

I thought YOU owed me wine...regardless, a bottle of the finest Thunderbird is headed your way!!!

WB, we betting this year? I say group stage and knock-out bets are in order.

I'm practising my lead in to our podcast, something like: "Coming to you, not so live, from the Castro District, in the heart of San Francisco, it's Mens on Football!!!!!"

I'd give that intro a double snap, twist, spin and kiss on David Alan Grier's cheek, FABULOUS!!!

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Oh goody, the surprise will be whether it is grape, orange, or the new mango-strawberry swirl...yippeee!!

"Mens on Football", I got it now, and agree that will be a super-sexy addition to the Castro landscape. You have to promise to have the shaved head with the little pigtail though.

Alright, let's get ready to rumble. Who are you taking for now? I'll go with BAYERN again, especially after that dish-ragging they gave Haifa yesterday.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

No new ground being cleared here, but...

Ryan Giggs is incredile.

10. nevzter

Yep.

The expanse of his career blows me away...especially seeing highlights of him with Cantona in the mid 90s.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

He's quality, and what is he like 46 years old?

Bayern only manage a scoreless draw at home against Juve. The Old Lady has been quietly and slowly gaining strength. Won;t surprise me at all if they battle Inter for and likely win the title in Serie A this season, and make some noise in the Champions League. Milan, the A.C. one, looked terrible. (But as Don points out, when it comes to being crooked, Milan or Juve always challenge each other to see which can find deeper depths first.)

12. nevzter

Madrid is looking like the "Real" deal this year.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and The Undead squeaked by against the mighty national champions of Cyprus!

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The odds of Juve challenging Inter are slim and none.

Inter were shit against Kazan. We were missing 3 key players, but that's no excuse for our performance. So far, we've not looked good in the CL and Mourinho better get this team into winning ways in this competition before the supporters turn on him. We want European glory, not another scudetto.

Madrid are looking quality. Lass is doing well in midfield and Ronaldo is scoring goals. They look like favorites so far.

Wolfsburg is doing that bad. They look like they could get out of their group. I thought last season was a fluke, apparently I was wrong.

15. nevzter

As of today, the wheels have officially fallen off at Anfield. Sure, they can salvage the groups (as last year), but they're lost at the moment. Lyon's first goal occurred after 27 consecutive saves by Reina, while the other 10 dudes watched him. He was so spent by the 28th consecutive shot that he let it in.

Is Lyon deceiving...again? They regularly show well in the groups, only to disappoint in the knockouts. I must confess to enjoy saying, and spelling, "Olympique Lyonnais."

Barcelona loses at home, and Inter draws again. Crazy day in the CL.

Arsenal may be built for the CL this year, just sayin' I got a feeling they're in it for the long haul (Arshavin is the talisman absent since Henry left - he's a damn joy to watch).* Now, I'm off to wash my mouth out for speaking highly of Arsenal.

*My favorite "Special One" quote: You have Brazilian and Arshavin? Pretty smooth, Voyeur.

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Special 1 TV, love it. Actually makes the real Mourinho more palpable.

That to which you refer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OX3NuNAEQQ

My new favorite team name to say and type: Rubin Kazan. Plus, they have a cool griffin or something on their kits.

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Hehe, I forgot about that one. Excellent.

Gotta hand it to Rubin Kazan, they got the job done. :?

18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Rubin Kazan? that's a team?? are you sure that isn't a sandwhich in a New York Deli? or perhaps a concert violinist??

Had to love the Kazan gaffer w/the Rosary Beads in full prayer mode the final moments.

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Don's favorite team upset the applecart at El Bernabeu.

Fun match to watch, if you aren't a fan of goalkeeping.

In other news, Bayern crap themselves and end with 9 men on the pitch.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Elia's ugly little brother.

In other news, Mafia Italy beat Mafia Spain. Mafia London win 4-0