Champions League 2009/10

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Chances = VERY slim.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched the match and found myself so impressed by the mighty roar of "you'll never walk alone," that I started rooting for Celtic -- a tough ask when doing so means rooting for a side with Samaras as the main striker. Wasn't this guy washed up in the CCC with Southampton two seasons ago? The shocker, for me, was how they came out in the second half. You ALWAYS expect the home side to send a few rockets up backsides for the first 10 minutes, but there was nothing on offer from Celtic at all. Had it not been for some horrific finishing by van Persie and Pink-boots sweetie, it could easily have been 0-4 or 0-5.

I'm guessing that Mr. Caldwell would like to forget the ENTIRETY of August 2009.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I probably should day this, I wasn't just trying to crap all over Celtic, because I have developed a soft spot for them. Not a supporter, I only support one team in Europe, but better they win than Rangers. And no, I have no quarrel with Rangers at all.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Bricking it.

It will have to be perhaps the most amazing effort and performance in the history of My Little Scottish Champions League Club.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I'll be seriously considering a bumble-bee kit if they pull this off.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

They look like the tallest members of the Lollypop Guild, don't they?

HatterMom just asked if Ackroyd and Belushi were on the bench! :shock:

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I feel relatively safe now, at 4-0 agg, in saying, "I'm safe."

New Cup Half Full: I've got two chances in the Europa Cup!!

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

If my only two shirts were a Celtic shirt and an Everton shirt I would wear the Celtic shirt 7 days a week.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I honestly believe the Everton shirt is the worst I've seen this season (or in many a season) and is detri-mentally causing their shitty start to the 2009/10 campaign. It is just so wrong in so many ways.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Arsenal look good before Arshavin came on and very good after he was subbed in. I think he is my favorite non-Fulham player to watch right now. Big engine, big heart, doesn't go down easy and he makes such terrific runs.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you've obviously forgotten [and i wish I could] what this season's Newcastle away strip looks like.

12. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Group A: Bayern Munich, Juventus, Bordeaux, Maccabi Haifa
    Group B: MANCHESTER UNITED, CSKA Moscow, Besiktas, Wolfsburg
    Group C: AC Milan, Real Madrid, Marseille, FC Zurich
    Group D: CHELSEA, FC Porto, Atletico Madrid, APOEL
    Group E: LIVERPOOL, Lyon, Fiorentina, Debrecen
    Group F: FC Barcelona, Inter Milan, Dinamo Kiev, FC Rubin Kazan
    Group G: Sevilla, RANGERS, Stuttgart, Unirea
    Group H: ARSENAL, AZ Alkmaar, Olympiakos, Standard

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Rangers got a fun draw.

Group G
    Sevilla
    Rangers
    Stuttgart
    Unirea Urziceni

I don't know anything about the last team, but given the players that Sevilla and Stuttgart lost, I see the top three as being pretty even; any 2 of them could get out of the group. That's good for Mo Edu and the USMNT.

My run down of the other groups
    A: If Chamakh stays at Bordeaux, then it'll be a 3-way fight bewteen Bayern, Juve, and Bordeaux for the top 2 spots.
    B: Could be a 3-way fight to determine who comes 2nd behind ManU.
    C: Milan got lucky, as they have the inside track to getting 2nd behind Real Madrid.
    D: Easy draw for Chelsea. Between Atletico Madrid and Porto for 2nd.
    E: Liverpool should be ok, with Lyon and Fiorentina fighting for 2nd, but they'll need to step it up from their current form.
    F: If Dyanmo Kyiv get Sheva, they could make a fight of it; otherwise, it's the Barca-Inter show.
    G: above.
    H: Arsenal got probably the easiest draw, and are arguably the team that needs the least help. I'd pick which teams would fight for 2nd, but don't think it matters - they'll be easy fodder for whoever they face in the elimination rounds.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

For the team that finished the lowest of the "Big Four," it's obvious that Arsenal got the easiest group. I guess they didn't do any seeding.

15. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'm officially on board with the people who say the draw is fixed. Inter and Barca were put there on purpose so that Inter can show Ibra what a punk he is for leaving. I'm so excited to have the chance to watch Eto'o go back to the crappy Nou Camp. Hopefully he scores a hat trick. Screw you Ibra.

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

THE Predictions:

Group A: Bayern Munich, Juventus
    Group B: MANCHESTER UNITED, Wolfsburg
    Group C: AC Milan, Real Madrid,
    Group D: CHELSEA, Atletico Madrid
    Group E: LIVERPOOL, Lyon
    Group F: FC Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Group G: Sevilla, Stuttgart,
    Group H: ARSENAL, AZ Alkmaar

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

they did do seeding, but based upon their club's coefficients. so despite being 4th in the EPL and entering via the qualifying rounds, Arsenal are ranked 6th in the CL.

based on the pot rankings, Arsenal got the best in pot 3 and second best in pot 4. but its still an easy ride.

More info: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uef ... ml?080828a

18. jmh

jmh New Member

Whine whine whine. Barcelona gave Inter a ridiculously massive pile of money to make that switch, you have absolutely no right to be upset about this.

And what a ridiculously easy group Arsenal got. Fulham would advance out of that group.

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Today's WhitesBhoy Picks, in bold:

Home Away VENUE
    Atlético Madrid v Apoel Nicosia (Vicente Calderon)
    VfL Wolfsburg v CSKA Moscow (Volkswagen Arena)
    Chelsea v FC Porto (Stamford Bridge)
    Maccabi Haifa v Bayern Munich (Kiryat Eliezer)
    Marseille v AC Milan (Stade Vélodrome)
    Juventus v Bordeaux (Olimpico Grande) Torino
    FC Zürich v Real Madrid (Letzigrund Stadion)
    Besiktas v Manchester United (Besiktas Inönü)

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

WhitesBhoys favorites for the Tournament, in order:

1. BAYERN (Out of all the Bundesliga clubs, figure they have the best chance. And after such a long, dry spell for any club outside The Prem, La Liga, and Serie A, figure my ancestors and das Vaterland deserve a shot.)
    2. WOLFSBURG (See above.)
    3. INTER (The Academie US98 Soccer founded is called Soccer Academie INTER98, and we wear the black and blue stripe with pride. Used to be in part because of Zlatan and because of the unique history of the club, but I like Eto'o and his sublime shot the other day.)
    4. ATLETICO MADRID (Diego Forlan is one of my new favorites. Two seasons in a row Europe's top goal scorer, and with little fan fare.)
    5. BARCELONA (One word: Zlatan.)
    6. STANDARD LIEGE (Don't have a snowballs chance now with Dafour and provably Witsel out, but for Gooch's old times sake...)
    7. FC PORTO: Just to hump Chelscum.
    8. SEVILLA: To hump and dump Rankers.
    9. FIORENTINA: Because purple sometimes really is super-FAB-U-LOUS! (Three snaps and a twirl.)