CCC PLayoffs

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SteveM19, May 7, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Anyone want to take a crack at who wins?

Sheff U v. Preston -- SHeff U won 1-0 at home and the teams drew 0-0 at Deepdale. Sheff U has 3 wins, 1 loss, 2 draws in the last 6. Preston has won their last 4, a great run to slip into the playoffs on the last day. Some great wins too, including a 6-0 beatdown of Cardiff and a 2-1 win over Birmingham City at St Andrews. Talk about peaking at the right time :shock:

Reading v Burnley -- Burnley won 1-0 at home, reading won 3-1. Burnley is on a 3 game unbbeaten run and just punked Bristol City 4-0. Reading is wildly inconsistent, if they put any kind of form together in the last few months they would already be on the way up, but they hadn't lost in 5 until the last day when Brum beat them.

Tough call. I'll say Preston and Burnley, and Burnley wins it.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I like Preston and Burnley also. Preston is a club with a great history, but none since about 1960. They might have made it a couple years ago had Eddie Lewis stayed instead of going down the drain with Leeds. Burnley had a pretty good run in the late 60s/early 70s in the top flight on the basis of a fantastic acdemy program. They're my favorite team in claret and blue.

Sheffield United has always lagged far behind Wednesday in my "fave list." And Reading will always be the team that just quit on itself last season -- THANKFULLY.

By the way, in L1, there's a battle between Americans going on with Jemal Johnson's MK Dons on a collision course with Zak Whitbread's Millwall. I'll be watching this one closely.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, Other than McBride having proved his cred at Preston. And getting into one of his 'danger-Brian' episodes. I'd call that 'history-making' for US fans.

And every time my attention is drawn to Preston, it seems to be that they just squeaked into contention for promotion.. and then missed it 'by that much'!
    MAybe this will be the year.

4. sullytex

sullytex Member

I really hope, for selfish reasons, Reading go up as it would be nice to have a local Premier League team, easy away game for me and more local coverage.

I agree with Steve though, the chances of them stringing together enough good games in the playoffs is unlikely. Had they won last weekend, they would have gone through as Sheffield had drawn. Incedently, Marcus H. let one in he shouldn't have.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

It might be funny for Reading to come back up, if only to give AmericanMike something to rant about.

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Preston North End v. Reading Final. I hear Reading have a fairly decent keeper, and I met him once.

Preston bring loads of history back up to the Premier League.

7. DCDave

DCDave Member

I'm rooting for either Preston or Burnley since neither have been in the Premier League since I started following it, and I think it's good to have more clubs get a chance at the top level.

8. sullytex

sullytex Member

"You oughta steh dowun" says Gorgeous George

Burnley have just put two great goals past Marcus Hahnemann , still 20 minutes left. Done and dusted. Sheffield and Burnely on to Wembley.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Our own Christian, ladies and gentleman, giver of stock tips to Wall Street through 2008. :3d funny: :3d laughing:

That's who I wanted to see in the final also, but it's Burnley v. Sheff united.

10. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'm pulling for ShefU since their relegation happened under scandalous circumstances. Would be even better if they could play a role in relegating Spam next year (though highly unlikely).

11. sullytex

sullytex Member

Bye bye Coppell

Well the loss for Reading put Steve Coppell over the edge. He resigned after the game. Had a good run. I am sure the Reading fans will remember him fondly.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bye bye Coppell

Great England international, great top-flight winger, top manager. The rumor mill had him resigning regardless of the outcome of the final match. He's evidently an honest bloke as well, and -- next to Roy -- probably the best English manager of recent times.

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Bye bye Coppell

Good Riddance Reading. (sorry for those who feel for them)

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Bye bye Coppell

we've been waiting for this post, Mikey. As long as you're in the neighborhood, what's your take on Harry Redknapp?

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Bye bye Coppell

Kids read this board Don...think of the kids.

16. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I'm pulling for Sheffield United I guess. Would be cool to have Turf Moor in the Premier League, but Sheffield are a bigger club and will put up a decent fight next year.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

8)

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'm with Lyle - plus I want to see W. Ham v. Sheff Utd. twice next year (there's no bad blood or anything between those clubs, right?).