CBS / Couric: New anchor for the Titanic

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 5, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hard to know whether to put this on media or news but it affects mostly news since almost none of you youngers will watch this geriatric cheerleader, anyway.

CBS, long known as the best advertising medium for the Buick Division, seems not too sharp in bringing her in... unless she's going to find some way to add perkiness to the doom-and-gloomers of the effete Manhattanite editorial staff.

Here's a great take:
    The USS Couric's Maiden Voyage...

Some great lines in this..
    Ummm yeah... and/or thinking up new reasons why everything's OUR fault.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Everything is your fault, Fog!

As Walter Winchell might have said: Walter Cronkite to Katie Couric -- what a come down!

3. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

A story from the brilliant minds that came up with the name "Pajamas Media"...

Aside from the story's source, I actually agree with Petty on this one...

I gave up on the MSM once they started insisting on giving equal time to everyone, regardless of the veracity of their statements (note - this is not a librul/wingnut issue, this is an everyone issue). I'm tired of watching news and figuring out which side needs a "fact check". If the Fourth Estate did it's job, people might actually shut up and watch.

4. pettyfog

Re: RE: CBS / Couric: New anchor for the Titanic

sigh... Actually, it's adapted from a derisive and dismissive remark against bloggers by the MSM, circa Rathergate. Specific reference: Charles Johnson when he proved the faxed memos could have been done in MS Word.
    How about when Kos and the VWRBC join in fighting pork... or congress dipping into internet re taves and political writing?
    Yeah... except I bet you see it as "The Corporate Media", while we see it as the liberal "I want to make a difference in the world, that's why I'm taking journalism" media.

Same thing, different POV.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'm tired of this sterotype :roll:

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: CBS / Couric: New anchor for the Titanic

Sure you are not tired FROM the stereotype?

Hey man, I miss those days. :banana:

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

dance, banana, dance!

8. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Jesus H!

Now seriously, Katie Couric has moved up the news anchor chain because she was an **ahem** semi-goodlooking, blonde chicky who could ask the 'tough' questions and no one would do anything about it because it was 'Katie Couric'. Ugh.

9. pettyfog

Heh.. Rush has a whole STACK of her asking the 'tough questions'.

Now.. seriously, at the risk of being labeled 'sexist' I first submit that I am an admirer of older women and the ONE thing I've found to be true is that the perky cheerleader types do NOT age well.
    And Katie, who I thought pretty damm cute 10 years ago is a very good example.. in five years, Plastic Surgery or not, she'll be rather grotesque.

Note that her nose seems to be getting smaller... she, I think, has a distorted self-image. Because womens' noses do NOT get smaller on their own.

Gimme the ones who were thought as rather plain, but not ugly, in HS and College and they usually, at least OFTEN, turn out to be quite attractive older women.

10. americanmike

WE AGREE!

11. pettyfog

Who's your daddy!... see if you just bother to READ AND THINK about my written opinions, it aint all that hard and neither am I all that reactionary.
    - - - - - - -
    They're called STEREOTYPES for a reason! And they are related to TRUISMS.

12. americanmike

Ok, so, how do you know that I don't read and think about your posts?? Come on, give me so more credit than that. I have to admit, though, I do avoid politics on most occasions...

...unless the mnlandshark pops up!

13. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Well, I do have to pop my head in every so often to stir things up a bit!

I was missing having pettyfog as a foil to my librul-ism... I don't get many opportunities to have policy debates with my friends outside of economic policy... the joys of hanging out with the eggheads you went to grad school with.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Last word on Katie from South Texas. Next time you watch the first batman movie [with Jack Nicholson as 'The Joker' -- "Heesuus Marimba"], check out the face on the female news reader who was an early victim of the Joker's poisoned makeup thang.

The hyperextended grin has always reminded me of Ms. Couric. Saw it the other day on HBO, and it still cracks me up ... as does Jack.

15. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Seriously...putting a tart on the 6 o'clock news. What next? Star Jones hosting Sunday Morning, E-News replacing the evening bulletin (opps, thats already happened) or worse still, a f@cking action star actor running for Govenor in Califonia. Ferrr Krists sake, when did the lunatics start running the assylum?