Carling Cup 2007-08

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Aug 16, 2007.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham and the rest of the Premiership teams were drawn into the second round of the Carling Cup today. Fulham will travel to Shrewsbury later this month in their match.

Should be interesting to see what kind of team Lawrie picks for this one. One of the things he stressed when getting hired was wanting to make strong cup runs. With the added depth in the team this year, I would guess any team selected will be a strong one.

Let's hope we can have a nice Carling Cup run!!!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think he's a good cup manager. We'll see i fmy judgment's getting any better.

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Why don't they know the date yet?

And do you guys think the FA fixes the matches? I mean do you think they pick who plays who? It just looks like all the Premiership teams go League One or League Two matchups.

... and there was Chelsea/Man U last year.

Thoughts?

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think the date is August 28th/29th.

No, I do NOT think the FA fixes matchups. When there are 94 teams in the entire system and even more in the FA Cup, the chances of the Premiership teams playing one another is slim at the beginning. However, you can look at an example like Arsenal who played Premiership teams each round last season before being knocked out by Blackburn.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Then why do they call them 'Fixtures'?

Sorry.. couldnt resist.

6. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Hoping to see a strong run in both the FA and Carling Cups this season. LS has plenty of depth in almost every position and the side seems to be out to prove something.

Any possible chance these early round matches could be on the tele or have a online stream?

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Thanks Tom. My gut just tells me the FA and English football is a tad bit shady.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would guess there is about a 1% chance any Carling Cup matches are shown. Setanta has the rights to them and will show some matches in the later rounds and perhaps even the early rounds, but it is unlikely to be our match with Shrewsbury. You never know though.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Setanta Broadband has already shown 2 Carling Cup Games this week. Peterborough/Southhampton and Rotherham/Sheffield Wednesday. So there's hope.

10. Team_of_McBrides

I am hoping the links to online streams work for this weekend. Use it as a trial run before cup matches start up. Don't really want to pay the $4.99 for every match that isn't shown on TV. On a 12 hour delay no less.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

setanta is a monthly or annual payment and it's live. then the games are archived so you can re-watch them.

the myp2p might have fulham, but we won't know until saturday morning. i'll link it if it is a go. might not have sound though.

12. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Oooooooooooooo, the New Meadow! This should be fun!

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham will host Bolton in the third round of the Carling Cup. The match will be played either September 25th or 26th.

14. Team_of_McBrides

I'll be there. Can't wait. Another victory over Bolton and onto the 4th Round.

COME ON YOU WHITES!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is the rest of the 3rd round matchups:

Blackburn Rovers v Birmingham City

Reading v Liverpool

Manchester United v Coventry City

Tottenham Hotspur v Middlesbrough

Hull City v Chelsea

Blackpool v Southend United

West Ham United v Plymouth

Arsenal v Newcastle United

Luton Town v Charlton Athletic (Think Don will be Happy with the draw)

Manchester City v Norwich City

Sheffield United v Morecombe

Sheffield Wednesday v Everton

Fulham v Bolton Wanderers

Burnley v Portsmouth

Aston Villa v Forest/Leicester

West Bromwich Albion v Cardiff City
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential banana peel for the big clubs. Hopefully there are some upsets on the horizon.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Reading looked pretty terrible today at home against Wet Spam; I can't imagine them giving Liverpool much trouble unless they seriously get their act together.

16. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Damn, I wanted Morecombe away...

Oh well, I guess its convenient its at the Cottage but not good that its against a prem team. COYW's

17. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

It will definitely be a hard fought match. Bolton isn't doing so hot this season in the league, so they remind me of a hurt and cornered animal. And we all know that can spell danger if you aren't careful.

An early goal and control for the first 45' should put them in their spot and let us run the game our way.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I too would've like Morecambe, but at least it's at home and not one of the big 4. Maybe we can get lucky if we get by Bolton and get the winner of Blackpool and Southend.

19. BlackandWhiteFilm

BlackandWhiteFilm New Member

I will be going to the Bolton game. We've beaten them once this season we can do it again. With the Prem the way it is a good couple of cup runs is essential

20. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

On second thought, with it being a weeknight, I'm more than happy that it is at home. I can walk from work, grab a beer or two and make my way to the Cottage. Hopefully we'll take it to them and continue progressing in this Cup.