'Cardholder scam' from "Cellphone"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jun 25, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If you get any calls from 'Tiffany' at 520-838-4876, here's the scoop

I've been getting these a lot lately.
    CID says 'cellphone' and this number dials my cell.
    You might want to bookmark that 'whocallsme' site, as well

2. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Your need to put your number on the "Do Not Call" list PF

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: cardholder scam

Uh... did so two years ago.

And no telemarketer is supposed to call cell #'s either and ESPECIALLY they are not allowed to Caller ID as a cell #. NOR are they allowed to mask their # as "Unknown Caller/Number"
    Guess what.. some cheat.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we've been getting the same thing from various people/numbers who all want to talk to my wife -- they name her by name. What they want to talk about is her magazine subscription, even though they can't name the name of the publication. They insist that it's a courtesy call and that the call isn't designed to sell us anything.

After about 50 calls and 25 requests we finall talked to "a supervisor" who assured us that we'd receive no more calls. We continue to do so. Each time I ask for a supervisor and, when the "but sir, this isn't a request for you to buy anything" stuff begins, I hang up.

Jim, I think a lot of this is aimed at folks like you and me who ... uh ... remember the same presidents. I think that the wretched economy means that people are even more motivated to rip off folks and, since ... uh ... people like us are notoriously trustful and easy to frighten ... .

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

That's coming. As the cell phone market continues to cannibalize the landline market, telemarketers will either have to cease or start finding ways to infiltrate cell phone #'s. I wouldn't put money on them ceasing.

With a lot of people, their cell phone has become an increased nuisance to those around them. I like the irony of cell phones becoming a bigger nuisance to the user than what they're inflicting on others.

Of course, someone will probably just come up with "an app for that" as it regards telemarketing calls.