1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I can't believe the U-20 World Cup begins tomorrow and we don't have a thread on it yet. We're a bit weakened when Bolton's Johann Smith had to withdraw with an injurhy, but the presence of Jozy Altidore and Preston Zimmerman still gives us two better strikers than what we have down in Venezuela.

Unfortunately, ESPN has the rights and games are only available on ESPNU.

First of three first round games against Korea at 1600 CDT tomorrow. Here's Roengen's squad:

U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brian Perk (UCLA), Steve Sandbo (SMU), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (6): Tony Beltran (UCLA), Amaechi Igwe (New England Revolution), Ofori Sarkodie (Indiana University), Nathan Sturgis (L.A. Galaxy), Julian Valentin (Wake Forest), Tim Ward (Columbus Crew)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Freddy Adu (Real Salt Lake), Bryan Arguez (D.C. United), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Dax McCarty (F.C. Dallas), Danny Szetela (Columbus Crew), Anthony Wallace (F.C. Dallas)
    FORWARDS (6): Andre Akpan (Harvard), Josmer Altidore (N.Y. Red Bulls), Gabriel Ferrari (Sampdoria), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Preston Zimmerman (Hamburg SV), Sal Zizzo
    (UCLA)

My pick of the litter for Feilhaber-like breakthrough impact is Dax McCarty.

USA USA USA USA

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

You've been harping on Dax for quite some time now. Hopefully he will have a break through string of performances in the U20 WC.

My pick will be Bradley to boss the midfield and further establish himself as a US International.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I predict Altidore to shine in the Cup and sign in Europe after the end of this MLS season when he turns 18. I get excited at the prospect of the 2010 squad in South Africa and Altidore, with a Euro season or two under his belt, starting in the front line for the U.S. To contrast, is Adu a victim of his own hype, or does he simply need more time to develop? Thoughts?

From what I've digested about the squads thus far, Korea will put up a challenge tomorrow. I'm stoked to see this Dax fellow feature too, want to see what has HD all hyped up. Dax gets him more excited than Three Dog Night, this guy's got to be good.
    USA!
    America, f$*k yeah!

4. tibor

tibor New Member

Looking forward to seeing if Seitz gets any action and our other local guy, Freddy 'Meh'du.

5. nevzter

I love the match vs. Brazil on July 6. Final group match, could determine who advances between the clubs...I can't wait!

6. Team_of_McBrides

Nevzter your "America F$*k Yeah!" comment gave me a good laugh. Reminds me of the Team America: World Police flick. Anyone else seen it?

7. tibor

tibor New Member

Re: RE: Canada 2007

Many times, one of my favorites. You gotta love the computer voiced by Phil Hendrie too. Classic.

8. nevzter

RE: Re: RE: Canada 2007

Hijack.
    The Phil Hendrie Show....brilliant!

9. nevzter

10. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

If you're just dying to see the games you could always check out a site like rojadirecta.org, assuming it is legal haha.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I'll be going to ESPNZONE in Baltimore today to watch the game on ESPNU (which isn't offered by COMCAST).

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Canada 2007

We have a whole thread dedicated to that peice of mangled junk. I really can't emphasize enough just how terrible that movie was, brutal absoulutley brutal. Only The Leprechaun2 comes to mind as being obviously worse.

http://www.fulhamusa.com/index.php?name ... opic&t=580

14. Team_of_McBrides

Haha...Well Spencer you either love it or you hate it. Wasn't a bad flick and I thought it was a good laugh.

Back on topic...Thanks for the post of Bobby's blog Don. He is the best analyst on FSC and his opinions seem to be spot on most of the time.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Good afternoon of soccer for me today. Poland v Brazil followed by the US v South Korea. All in the same group of the Under-20 World Cup. Reading Bobby's blog, I fear Poland may get hammered today, but I am remaining hopeful.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

I can't believe Danny Szetela is still young enough for this. I could swear he's been in MLS for like six years.

Altidore is good but let's not anoint him the next Ronaldo (the good one with the weird hairstyles, not the diver) just yet.

17. Team_of_McBrides

Tom and anyone else who is able to watch the matches today, post your thoughts as I don't have ESPNU. Hope the US has a quality performance against S. Korea. There is a fair bit of talent on the US side. Lets see how they do against the world's best and brightest.

For your sake Tom...hopefully they can hang in there with the Samba Warriors.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I will post later in the day what I see. I actually have some things to do this afternoon and I will be recording the matches to watch later.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

as perhaps one of the very few FUSA folks who'll be watching this, please pass along your detailed assessment of our lads and how they did. Thanks a bunch.

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

HatterDon. Will do.

I found the Brazil-Poland game on one of the Spanish channels that I get. (but it won't have the US game)

1-0 Poland at the half!

Poland looks well organized. Brazil has amazing talent on and with the ball, but, as is usual with Brazilian national teams, their organization is not great. Game is still up in the air, as Brazil is owning possession and Poland is playing long ball, but a good start for the Poles, nonetheless.