Can someone please explain this one.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Oct 24, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do not have a link but as an avid viewer of Lou Dobbs tonight, he has focused on a court case over the last month or two regarding two border patrol agents who were arrested for shooting at a drug trafficker crossing the border from Mexico into the United States.

The story goes that the border patrol agents spotted this guy coming into the US and chased after him. After trying to pull him over, the officers fired shots at the guy. I believe one of them hit the guy, but did not kill him.

After the US government searched the wounded man's vehicle, they found loads and loads of illegal drugs that were being brought into the country.

One would think the border patrol agents did a great job getting this guy...BUT.....the US government decided to let the drug trafficker free and on top of that, the US government convicted the two border patrol agents for shooting at the illegal immigrant/drug trafficker. The two agents were both sentenced to 12 or 13 years in prison for this.

This does not seem right. Why would the US government let a drug trafficker go free and convict two border patrols doing their job? For as much attention that is given to illegal immigration, I think this is the kind of stuff that happens all too often on the border. Why is our very own government protecting this illegal immigrant bringing drugs into our country? This is sad. Those border patrols should be pardoned immediately. What is this saying to all the other border patrols on duty?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree that it doesn't make much sense the way it's presented in your post. I don't know what the facts are, but I'd be surprised if they read out exactly that way. There have to be some mitigating circumstances. I don't think we sentence law enforcement officers to prison for things like shooting drug smugglers who are evading arrest. Something else was/is up. I'd widen your search web on this one.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Because.. see.. the Border Patrol was under INS and now both are morphed into part of DHS... bigger bureaucracy = more efficient and responsive, right?!!!

Just like FEMA.. which was bad before it went to DHS and is now SO much better.
    heh

My view is there is both more and less to the story... the Border Patrol is REALLY more like a school hall monitor than a cop .. they are like the 'Funky Winkerbean' caricature of the nerd Hall Monitor with a .50 caliber Browning mounted on his desk, but the arms are only for IF they are attacked.

After all, those poor drug runners were only coming over to better their lot in life.

And Vincente would'a raised hell... never mind he lets guys cross from Mexico in Mexican Army uniforms.

I think it's time for us to send formal letters to Russia, Cuba, Canada and Mexico to the effect that we will intercept anyone crossing the borders illegally and shoot them if they attempt to flee.
    If we send the letters to all of them, how can they complain? Russia already does that.. Cuba does.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Can someone please explain this one.....

I am not sure if this was written tongue-in-cheek, but is crossing the border to sell drugs to legal Americans really bettering a life?

That is the thing, if you want to come into this country and better your life while not endangering others and following the laws and paying your taxes, I do not have a problem with you.

However, it is those who are looking to freeload of the US with medical benefits, social security and not paying taxes that bother me. That is why I would be in favor of amnesty if the illegal immigrants pay a lot of money in back taxes, learn English and have legal jobs. Until then, close the borders and sort it out. We have enough illegals and we do not need more.

My wife came to this country legally just over five years ago. She had a green card and has paid taxes and followed the laws of this country since then. I just wish others would do things the right way, the legal way. If the Mexican government can't give its people the jobs and money they need to survive, a change needs to be made NOT in the USA, but in Mexico. Too many people are looking to the US to bail them out of their economic problems and it is getting old. Pull the curtains on them and move along.

5. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Can someone please explain this one.....

I think you've got it!
    We gave them NAFTA, they abused it... there's tons of corruption in those NAFTA mfg towns.

Until the Mexican Government cracks down on their own, nothing will improve. We will always be the safety valve for those third world countries.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

All of this, of course, is nowhere near either the facts, nor is it near a search for them, but then again, why let facts get in the way of a good rant.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I have been trying to find anything on the Net about this case and can't find it anywhere. Hatter, Petty, have you found anything on the web about this case?

8. pettyfog

SF Chronicle

Note this:
    {Note it's FEINSTEIN.. a REAL rep of the people, not Pelosi, not Boxer.}

Washington Times

Ontario CA paper: Hearings to be held..also check the related articles box

What I dont get is the charge "Firing a weapon in the commission of a crime".. THAT is definitely over the top. They commited no crime other than firing shots. Closest can be said to them commiting a 'crime' is failure to report shots fired.