Can someone explain Bristol City to me?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Jacob, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I like to keep my eye on the Championship and some of the lower leagues. Just from what I have looked at going back to 2003, Bristol City have been a lower top 10 team in league one. Then they started marching up the table a few seasons ago. It looks like they could be in contention for promotion again this season to the Premier League.

I see the likes of Wolves and such sitting in the Champ every season, trying to make the playoffs. Then this team charges through in one season? Someone tell me what I am missing here. I have too much time on my hands I guess. :3d footy:

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Teams seem to do well when the first come up. Colchester last year did it. Reading and Wigan did it their first years up in the EPL as well.

If they don't make it out of the Championship this year, they'll probably struggle some next year. Colchester looks to do down this year, for example. Reading might as well. Wigan of course is always in danger of going down too.

Gary Johnson, Bristol City's manager, is apparently well thought of.

3. Jacob

Jacob New Member

That is generally true. I saw Colchester finished 10th their promotion season and now they are going back down. Bristol City are 1 point from 1st. I would imagine they would be beat up boys next season if they do get promoted. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the input.

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

They probably would be the beat up boys, but if they get promoted automatically they'll have time to makes some changes. They play in an old wooden stadium as well. It would be a cool venue for EPL games for sure, and would be packed... but they'd be like Watford was last year. Tough, but just not good enough. Derby aren't even tough this year.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and speaking of Bristol City -- WTF!?!?!?!

After my rage over today's debacle [and the weird technical crap in the chatroom] subsided, I checked out match reports and standings. Here's the thing:

In the CCC [our soon to be new home], Bristol City is in first place. They have scored 49 goals. They have given up 49 goals. Their goal difference is ZERO. For contrast, ManU is in first in the EPL [our soon to be former home] with a goal difference of +53.

With a goal difference of ZERO you should be mid-table. The only way this is possible is to continually win three matches 1-0 and lose one 0-3. Don't happen all that much.

It would be interesting to find out the worst goal difference for any CCC champion since the beginning of the EPL. I'm guessing around 30.

Bristol City? WTF?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"Talkin' to myself and feeling low ... "

So, I did some research. Here's what I found about goal difference and 1st place:
    2007 Sunderland +29
    2006 Reading +67 !!!!
    2005 sunderland +35
    2004 Norwich +40

So yeah; a first place team with a goal diff of 0 is pretty rare.

Want more contrast? In the CCC, Blackpool has a GD of +1 -- that is, one better than top-of-the-table Bristol City. Where's Blackpool? 17th!!!!!!!

Sigh; wish we were 17th!

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

thats why i've been the optimist (which is a first) here and say that we'll bounce back.

If the season ended now, Bristol City and Stoke would get AP, and Hull, Watford, WestBrom, Wolves all battle in the playoffs. The top 5 is separated by 3 points; sixth, Wolves, are 9 to 6 points from everyone, and have several other teams just behind them.

So there is still a lot of footy to be played but of the top 5, two are def going up.

I know this season has been terrible and lowered our expectations on multiple levels, but I honestly can't believe Bristol City, Stoke, or Hull are going to be better than us.

We'll be fine.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Stoke play the same kind of longball, route 1, kick it up the field and hoep for the best football that a lot of bad teams in the Prem play? The analysis I heard is that they looked like Watford last year.

Also, I heard the parachute payments are 20M pounds over two years, is that true?

I can't contemplate next year yet, I'm still trying to endure this one.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Bristol City is going to be really bad in the EPL. They probably can't afford to buy a lot of players next year, much like Derby this year.

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

but that won't stop me from cheering like mad for them!

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There are so many untoward comments about cheering like mad for Bristol City, but since our British cousins have ignored them, I'll do the same.

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

There is one team I'll be cheering like mad for and their name ain't Bristol City.

COYW!!!

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SteveM19 -- thank you so very, very much for your new avatar. You're a man of taste and refinement, it is easy to see.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

You're welcome, I thought you in particular would like her.

Besides, she's a lot prettier than a lion taking down a zebra.

I heard she was a Fulham fan! OK, I'm lying, but allow me to indulge my fantasy world.

15. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Yeah, I think Stoke are pretty similar to Watford. I like the way they're building their squad - they have very few players with Premiership experience, but tons of young-ish guys who are probably deserving of a shot. If they do get promoted, and manage to stay up, I think they'll be in the Premiership for awhile. The first year is going to be tough though.