Bradley names roster

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Mar 20, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Don't know how "recording whatever's in the right time slot" worked for JP-STL, but it didn't work for me. I got back from the gig at midnight, poured myself a tasty libation and got ready to watch the match -- nothing on DVR at all.

A point on the road is fine. We're still on top of the table. I was hoping for an easy win and a Dempsey yellow [so he'd be suspended for Wednesday's match and could come back to Fulham early], but I can't have everything. Thanks to those of you who did see it for you comments above. Nice comeback, eh. And thanks to FulhamAg who actually came to the wine bar where we were playing after watching the match in a nearby pub, and DIDN'T tell me the score. [HatterMom trashed him for ordering a beer at a wine bar.]

Oh, and if you come back to check the thread again, HI MEGGRS! You have been missed around here.

2. EricD

EricD New Member

I thought it was painful to watch until Jozy got in.
    El Salvador and their injury time wasting is embarrassing.
    I am happy Bob made his subs earlier than usual.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Agreed on Brad. I was not all that impressed - he should have done better - the header was good, but right at his feet. He jumped and didnt 'react.'

We were talking in the chat room that we didnt see any crosses till the end of the match. They were not playing the ball to the channels!

And the guy that stepped in for gooch - He is king of boot ball. I tell my boys all the time - Straight ball, Straight run = No Good! Sometimes it is fine - but every time you get the ball - just pound it to the penalty arc? Stupid.

Speaking of hiding - where was Lando?

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Oh and one other thing, until he retires, I will never again pick anyone other than Heydjuk for RB in a WCQ in central america.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, what are the lineup choices for Wednesday?

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

A couple of points on last nights match and then my lineup prediction for Wednesday.

The Good
    Bob Bradley - I am going to give the guy some props for not just sitting back and going for bust. His substitution of Jozy and Torres for Sacha and Pearce were the turning point in the match.

Jozy and Torres - Made an impact in their minutes played. Neither were perfect but both were very good.

Frankie, Frankie, Frankie - Sometimes the dude scares me on the defensive end but he has HEART and a motor that just won't quit. I found it quite amusing that little Frankie shouldered big Jozy out of the way to get his head on the second goal.

The crowd in El Salvador - I hope their courteousy matched their enthusiasm for the game because it was LOUD even over the TV.

The Bad
    Landon was invisible in the second half and Clint was plain poor in his decision making with the ball. If we are going anywhere outside Concacaf these two have to step up every match.

The Ugly
    The lump it forward style of play we resorted to.

The lineups for Wednesday:

Timmy

Frankie, Gooch, Boca, Pearce

Dempsey, Bradley, Torres

Donovan

Ching, Altidore

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Like the line-up Barry, but if you want to get Torres in there, I'm tempted to sit Donovan on the bench instead of Beasley. Let Donovan know that starting is not automatic for him if he doesnt have an impact.

The thing that I liked about Beasley last night was that he went at El Salvador on the dribble to try to break them down. I thought this was important because after their first goal, El Sal was sitting back. The US would try to build up a play with passing but El Sal had most of the angles covered. The Beas dribbled at them in open space and created passing anlges or even tried to go around a defender. Donovan and Dempsey did not do this and I thought that was a problem.

Also, I had no problem with the long ball, especially when our defense was shaky and lacking Gooch and Timmy. Just let Califf clear the ball out, after all we were a good half foot taller than El Sal. The problem was that the use of long ball was not paired with agressive, relentless, attacking soccer. It was paired with a slower, build-up style of play that just gave El Sal confidence that they could sit back the way they were and come away with a win or tie. Which they did.

8. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

And had it not been for the chatroom, I would have changed channels. The game was painful on the eyes with the exception of the last 15 minutes when the US realized they were down by 2.

9. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

*Waves* HI DON!! I've been negligent in my messageboard attendance, for sure! Thanks for the hearty welcome back. Missed you guys!

I spent the entire match wondering why they weren't crossing--we have the height, we could NOT get through in the middle--why on earth weren't the outside mids doing their job and bringing it up the wings to launch it into the penalty area? We looked dangerous most of the (few) times it happened before the last 10-15 minutes.

Question--has anyone else ever seen a ref give as much latitude as their 'keeper got for his 10-minute cramp attacks? ANY other player gets motioned off unless they're practically unconscious, but the ref let them stretch the keeper out for a ridiculously long time without even looking impatient. Wha? I mean, the touchline's 4 feet away!

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I say give Torres a start. Give El Salvador some credit, they were dangerous.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Such a frustrating game to watch...my husband left the room because I kept swearing at certain players for not doing what they should...I'm looking at you Beasley. Seriously, one of his worst performances. Thank god Hejduk got the message to stretch the defense and go forward on the wing. The entire team looked too timid and clueless once they went down a goal. Between this game and the Mexico game, the US will not be going far in 2010 if everything remains the same. Wake up and make smarter passes and show some more aggression.

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Why, DCH!!!! How dare you imply Beasley might be a 'One-Trick Pony'!!!

I'm shocked. Get this...

.. now that was a US FFC fan, but he was commenting on the game on the offal. Therefore, he knows much more about the game and players than we who choose to keep our comments 'at home.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

At home, motivated (Yankee Go Home!), and dangerous*. Props to ES for putting up one hell of fight. Props to us for not laying down.

* Not exactly our #1 line-up by a long shot.

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I don't disagree with this entirely. I see the value in having him for qualification matches, but I think Hey-dude is purely a lockerroom guy for us if we want to make any in-roads at World Cup 2010. There were moments in the ES match where I was thinking, "It has to most definitely be time to put this hippy out to pasture." If he's a defender, he is not one of our best by a long shot.

Hey-dude, assitant coach positions are calling!!

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Then you have the exact same mindset he does... oh, wait why am I not surprised... it comes from the same attitude:
    "If a player is not world-class he has no business playing."
    To set the tone, here, I dont want Frankie to have to PLAYat all, in the 2010 matches.

But when a guy can go 90 and still have the 'fire' that he does, I sures hell dont want him in a suit, either.
    Not only that... you {rhet} are stuck with a certain image of Frankie, grounded in fact, Until 2 years ago, he could be relied on to get the ball up the wing, then misfire because he couldnt cross worth a shit!

Guess what.. he can STILL be relied on to get the ball up the wing, but now his crosses are most likely to be right in the zone. Three guesses as to why that might be!!!! 1= G 2= B 3= S {old dogs can teach other old dogs}
    Scroll back the thread to where there were NO crosses till Frankie started getting the ball up. Frankie DEFINITELY has the heart / balls to be playing 90 in MLS.

Unfortunately that applies to Beasley, too: CCC/MLS caliber.. and there's nothing wrong with that.

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Fair play. Almost every cross came from the right, and quite a few from Hey-dude. But, that does not make up for the fact that his defending is sometimes shambolic.

Didn't say nothing 'bouts MSL. So don't get me started.

17. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

The program guide on DirecTV was updated on Saturday morning and accurately listed the game. Not sure if my e-mail to customer service had anything to do with that...but I doubt it. Sorry you missed it.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It occurred to me that I might have set up the recording and, later, TWC updated the listing. The good news is that I've recorded the Wednesday match correctly -- I hope.

Jim/Christian: I am on record saying that Hejduk shouldn't be our WC2010 RB. Having said that, until we have a RB who can outplay both him and Cherundolo, I don't see how he can be left off the South Africa-bound squad. Maybe Spector will bump him, maybe Wynne will bump him, but right now -- especially with Cherundolo suffering from a series of injuries -- he's our #1 guy. And thank God for surfing. Ugly Frank is fitter than any 20 year old out there.

19. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Howard

Frankie Gooch Boca Pearce

Donovan Torres Bradley Dempsey

Jozy Ching

Jozy and Torres definitely earned a start, IMHO. Left back: scary.

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am not quite as frustrated with Beasley as Heather but I am not far behind.

With all the discussion about Frankie I will state I am less concerned about the right side of the squad than I am about the left side. Frankie is second choice to Dolo and I can live with that because they both get up the pitch and provide some width. On the other side of the pitch somone needs to sit Beasley and Pearce down in front of the whiteboard before Wednesday and explain what and overlapping run is. Both of them looked like they were wearing concrete blocks for boots after they passed the ball because they were appearently unable to move after a pass. Pearce overall just looked like he lost the plot. Beasley did try to take on defenders off the dribble and he did provide some very nice deep balls from the left back position but his passing game left a lot to be desired.