Boycott the New Fever Pitch!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

As a fan of the book and the original Fever Pitch movie about Soccer, I am boycotting the new movie with Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon. It actually bothers me that NIck Hornby is letting this happen. The trailer for this movie is so corny and cheesy that I cannot even stand to watch it. So, what does everyone else think of this movie?

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

There coming out with a new fever pitch??!! I had no idea...

3. Jill

Jill New Member

I saw the ad for this a few days ago and almost cried! I loved this book. It was one of the major factors in what was to become my love for this sport - this league in particular. Now the unknowing American public will think this is what it's supposed to be about.
    I won't go see it and I will be telling everyone to avoid it. As for the movie with Colin Firth... it was marketed over here with a cover that looks like a T & A kids movie, so normal adults won't rent it unless they know - and the kids/teens that rent it hate it because it's NOT what they thought it would be ie. Porky's Boo Nick Hornby - what were you thinking??

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I'm boycotting it because its about bitchy red sox fans

5. americanmike

Re: RE: Boycott the New Fever Pitch!!!

Hahaha, quote of the day.

6. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Sadly, the movie money is just too good for these authors to turn down. Any of us would probably take it. I don't expect this movie will have much to do with the book at all and I'm sure Hornby knew that.

A big recent disappointment for me was the movie version of Friday Night Lights. While the movie was reasonably well made and had some good acting, it distorted and "Disneyfied" the account in the book to a disgusting degree.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree that it would be hard to turn down the cash, but as Jill mentioned above, most Americans will now think of baseball when they think of Fever Pitch. That bothers me.

Also, why didn't they change the name? Baseball is not played or anywhere near a pitch. It would be like calling a soccer movie, A Trip Around the Diamond. C'mon you clowns!!!

8. martin

martin New Member

I'm boycotting it because it has Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore. I'd rather watch paint dry.

9. americanmike

RE: Re: RE: Boycott the New Fever Pitch!!!

I just saw the commercial last night...fucking awful.

10. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Boycott the New Fever Pitch!!!

Absolutely agree. It was geared to about a 10 year old, and not a very smart 10 year old.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Boycott the New Fever Pitch!!!

The part when he goes down on his knee and opens the ring case with a ticket to opening day made me want to vomit.

12. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Boycott the New Fever Pitch!!!

to quote the original

sounds like crapness

13. martin

martin New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Boycott the New Fever Pitch!!!

I hope Hornby at least got a nice paycheck. You have to admire someone who can turn a profit on his hopeless football obsession. Even is he is a Gooner.

14. kdturtle

kdturtle New Member

At first I thought (or maybe i just hoped) that Hornby didn't have anything to do with it. But then i read somewhere that he was the executive producer. At first i was pissed that he slagged radiohead (oops should be in another forum) but now to take the a great football suppoters story and turn it into a something about the sox. count me out...

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

What did he say about Radiohead? I did not hear about this.

16. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Agreed... is there a worse actor than Jimmy Fallon? Yet another SNL alum thinking they can make a decent movie... and does Drew Barrymore have a patent on that "I can't really think of anything smart to say so I'm going to giggle and look dumb" face?

17. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

You prick, I couldnt say vagina but you can say fucking awful.... bastard ass.

this movie was originally made before Boston won last year... which shows you the dignity and integrity they all have.

Boston (Red Sox) fans are bitchy... I hate them all. Sorry Dan.

I heard a quote the other day from someone saying that the rivalry is even more strong cuz the Red Sox have obtained equal footing with the Yanks...................... HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

18. kdturtle

kdturtle New Member

Sorry for the delayed response, i've been on the road a bit the past week. He wrote a review of Kid A in the New Yorker Mag and claimed it was an "album only 16-year olds with nothing else to do could enjoy" and the band had "come to hate itself" was "self indulgent" and the album was a "failure of courage". Now even the lads think it's a difficult album, but i thought Hornby was over the top...

19. americanmike

You're an admin...start editing!!!! Actually, you made me just realize that the censor I have set up on the board isn't working...crap.

20. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

WOW....I am shocked but ever so pleased at the reaction to this piece of 'pooh' film. The original is not a classic but it captures so much of what its like to 'think' like a football fan and, as much as I hate the gooners, it also captured a moment that is part of football folklore. The bit where the students describe the female english teacher as being like George Graham is my favorite - but probably because I am married to an english teacher....and she is female too!

In true Nick Hornby style, perhaps we need a poll of top football movies (Mike/Tom?). Some starting contenders are: Fever Pitch, Bend it like Beckham, When Saturday Comes, Escape to Victory. I am sure there have been more...