Boycott GM, Chrysler?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jun 8, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hell, NO!

Despite the idiocies being presented by the CarCzar 'Brain Trust'..

1) "The Administration will let GM run GM, only having a say in most basic decisions..."
    - New Car Lines ARE a 'basic decision' for a car company! Guess where 'Green' comes in on that 'decision table'.

2) "Fiat is a good fit for Chrysler partner, they can share technologies"
    - Yeah... the ONLY brand company that ranks LOWER than Chrysler in EU JD Powers rating is... ta-da! Seems to me they already SHARE.

.. boycotting GM and Chrysler on principle only makes matters worse.

Yeah, it's a rock and a hard place but enough buyers are going to steer clear of those two that any overt ORGANIZED boycott can only lead to disaster for American Automotives.

If you LIKE the GM or Chrysler car model, then BUY IT. Just pretend they havent been subverted. Middle management, where quality -or lack of it- comes from, aint gonna change, much. If it does it will PROBABLY be toward the better.

Disclaimer: I'm a Ford freak, anyway, and I never buy new cars at any rate. So it's not up to me.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

An organized boycott of a product that, at best, a consumer buys every two years -- AT BEST. How would anyone notice? Now a boycott on orange juice, bananas, or grapes [all of which actually happened at one point] can have an effect if it is located in only one metropolitan area for only one month. But a new car? I mean, I've been boycotting GM and Chrysler new cars since I bought my first new car in 1967, and they never even noticed.

With the economy where it is, if 250,000 people decide this morning to get one more year out of their Impala [my favorite rental when I was still traveling] or their Charger [so so], instead of buying a new one in 2009, that's NOT a boycott. That's just common sense. And even if it were a boycott, how in the world would anyone know?

Stupid.

3. pettyfog

GM: Middle Finger in the Wind

well, Don. they would know by how Ford did in the marketplace.

Rasmussen: Just 42% of GM Owners Likely to Buy GM Again

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That's a poll, not a boycott. And as you've pointed out before, how a question in worded almost always guarantees the response that one wants. I wonder: are there really fewer people who'd buy a product from a company that received a huge financial infusion that they would if it was still on the verge of disappearing. DUH.

The benefit of this whole "there should be a boycott of Government Motors" on the part of they who shall not be named, will be that when sales go down -- as they will continue to do as long as the economy sucks -- they who shall not be named can claim victory in the holy grail of hoping the president fails. In the words of Bugs Bunny: "What a maroon."

5. pettyfog

Don... deny it all you want, it's out there.

I told you what the metric is, it's FORD...

I also made quite clear my position on it... but what I think doesnt matter. It's what the majority thinks or their intuition on it.
    keep that head in the sand and that ass in the air, buddy.
    the poll might be kiltered but it does reflect opinion.
    - - -- - - - - - - -
    Not that I REALLY believe you have your head in the sand. It just looks that way. You're far too intelligent and astute to think there would be no effect.

So what IS your position on Guv'mint Motors? Everyone thinks they're too big to allow to fail completely. So why would you deny the effect of a possible boycott?

Is it you WANT them to fail?