Boxing day

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by AtlantaJohn, Dec 21, 2008.

1. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Well I know its early but would like to wish all My American Fulham fans a very happy Boxing Day, having lived over here now for 25 years I of course know that Xmas ends in America basically when the stores close Xmas eve, and if not then certainly Boxing day morning as everyone usually goes back to work or returns the prezzies they did not like.

In England its slightly different, Xmas begins on Xmas Eve and we dont stop drinking until the New year, and Boxing day is a very big part of an English Xmas, and traditionally the results on boxing day were always great to look forward to, as a long time Fulham man who can forget the 10-1 on a Boxing day oh so very long ago, and in those days the fixture list seemed to always pit you against a team and then the next day or so you would play the return fixture, and so it was on that Xmas, and we somehow went there and lost I think it was 4-2!!!!!!!!!!!

Those days and scores have long gone, but not forgotten, early game at the cottage, going home and eating turkey sandwiches and watching my horse fall at the first in the King George when it wasn't frozen out, still brings tears to my eyes, and are sorely missed.

But this year My American employer as made the unsual step of giving us Boxing Day off so I will be glued to my TV or computer to watch the games, and of course our game if its on over here. This year us Fulham fans can at least go into a Xmas fixture list with a team who is capable of beating anyone on its day, and what a Xmas for us, Spurs away and then Chelsea at the cottage a Xmas feast for any Fulham fan.

So enjoy Boxing Day it as a great sporting tradition in England, and who knows we might be able to export it to these shores one day.
    Merry Xmas everyone

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing AJ. Glad to here about the day off, have a great christmas and boxing day.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Boxing Day has been important to me since 1966, my first year in England. I love the traditions -- not just the football. I remember how stunned I was when my future father-in-law met me at the door at 1100 on Boxing Day and asked if was ready for a drink. I'm thinking a cup of tea. I was wrong. Three shots of Scotch later -- neat -- and we're off to the pub. I credit my combat training for getting me through that day.

Several years later, Luton were in the old first division and in last place. They hadn't gotten a road win yet [sound familiar?] and, when we got back from London [White Hart Lane? Loftus Road? Highbury?] we discovered that they had beaten Ipswich Town 0-1. From then through the end of the season, my Hatters played solid mid-table football, but were relegated on goal average on the final day of the season when Leeds lay down and lost to Spurs. Spurs was saved; we were down. The only good thing about that? Chelsea went down with us.

My oldest friend is still married to his English bride [50+ years], and they live about 5 miles away, so we've carried on the Boxing Day tradition here. Too much left over food; small presents for each other and, thanks to UTube, the Queen's speech. I loved each of my Christmases in England -- I think there were 10 altogether -- and think of it each year.

Thanks, AJ. If you think of it, raise a glass on the day towards San Antonio, and I'll do the same.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Thanks to my employer I will be able to celebrate Boxing Day myself this year by hopefully watching Fulham. A little Boxing Day chat room for me will be a nice start to the day.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for taking the time to share the tradition and memories AJ and HD. I had two Christmases in England and I didnt realize what Boxing Day was other than a day off with a funny name. Maybe because it wasnt much different from my day after Christmas here in the US. I've never worked on that day and I dont believe in returning gifts.

The only English tradition that I brought back to the US with me is wearing the silly tissue Christmas cracker hats for Christmas Eve dinner. Now I will add Fulham and the other football fixtures to our traditions. It looks like we wont be traveling anymore for Christmas so it's the perfect time to add more tradition.

Oh, and I also plan to take my kids to church for the first time ever. I figure Christmas Eve mass is a good place to start.

6. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Boxing Day = Football "All Day". :banana: