Bobby Zamora Thoughts

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Nov 26, 2008.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Morning all,

Big debates have been started on the UK Fulham boards with regards to Bobby Z. Is he doing a good job? Is he doing a bad job? Good buy/bad buy?

Is his hold up play worth his transfer fee?

I say let the debate begin...enough of you have seen him play on TV now to make a judgement call. Go for it.

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I have a rather high opinion of BobbyZ's play and think he has been worth every pence of his transfer fee. He works hard, holds the ball up excellently and is very unselfish. The tandem of BZ and AJ are just starting to round into form in my opinion and I don't think we have seen the best of either of the pair. I would like to see Zamora put a couple in the net to take a little of the scoring pressure off of AJ. However, as long as he keeps holding the ball up and allowing Fulham to transition from defense to offense he is aces in my book. Get beat on while holding onto the ball is an under appreciated job and BZ is currently excelling at it.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Bobby was by no means brought in to score the majority of the goals for Fulham this season. Rather, he has been brought in to hold the ball up, feed the players running through the channels and play AJ into space. Based on those standards, Bobby has been fantastic for the whites.

Sure we would all like to see him score an extra goal here or there, but I find little to no fault in his performances. If anything Fulham have solidified their strike partnership with Bobby and AJ. Nevland can provide the extra support off the bench and when Kamara is fit he'll be able to add his own flare to the happenings up top.

Fulham are rounding out as a solid side that has made Craven Cottage a fortress this season. Great time to be a Fulham fan. As always, COYW's.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was wrong about BobbyZ. I thought he'd be our long man coming out of the bullpen. I rated him, but not as a creater/supporter. Whether he really IS the best striker AJ has ever been paired with, AJ thinks he is, and that's good enough for me.

He deserves his place; he deserves his wages. The money spent on him and on Paintsil was well invested.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I will pencil in a thumbs up for Bobby Z, wit a few reservations. He and F5 are starting to gel on the front line with some pretty nice runs and vision on the front line. As ToM said, I would like to see a few more goals and actually would expect 8-9 by the end of the year as a standard to be maintained, but I want to see what he can do for the whole year. It isn't like we picked up George Best in his prime, but I have liked what I have seen enough to hope for improvement in the near future.

Hopefully, it starts this weekend, against Villa Park. Maybe we'll get really lucky, they'll start the Knightmare, and Bobby Z will abuse him to the tune of a hat trick! Or F5, either way.

6. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Personally, I think Bobby has been an unsung hero for Fulham. Even though he's not scoring goals he's holding the ball up incredibly well and distributing to Johnson like RH intended. Sometimes people get caught up with the goal talley, but retaining possession and distributing are just as key when your strike partner is someone with tremendous pace, like AJ.
    Personally, when the game is drawing to a close and we need someone to hold the ball up and kill time, I don't want anyone with the ball but Bobby. He's put on two possession retention clinics in the last two weeks ... enough so that he's gotten an ovation from the Fulham supporters during the act.

I would like to see him score a few more goals, but everything that happens on the pitch is in line with Roy's system and Roy bought Bobby to play the role he's playing.

Universally, the "garbage men" in any sport are unappreciated and to me that's what Bobby is. He does the glamour-less things in the final third that nobody really wants to do. Everyone wants to score goals and celebrate, but just because he's not scoring doesn't mean his contributions haven't been invaluable.

Just my opinion ...

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

As pointed out by everyone else and in the TimmyG article on the front page (good stuff btw, but for the life of me I have no idea who Wedge was in Star Wars) Bobby has accepted and excelled at his role. As HD pointed out Bobby came in a package deal w/Pantsil so anyone saying that was a bad buy is a "glass is half-empty" type. The goals will come and wouldn't be surprised if he bags one at Villa Park.

8. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

He's winning everything in the air, holds the ball up as well as anybody, and he's creating lots of chances (currently second on the team in passes that led to a shot, behind Bullard). I don't even care about the lack of goals - my only real complaint is that he's a bit careless with his passes at times, but I think that will come around before too long. Very good signing IMO.

9. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Zamora is a stud in the mode of a Hangeland. He just needed playing time to get is 'groove' on.

10. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I've said every game that Zamora has impressed me. I remember seeing him a few times at West Ham as a sub, and liked what I saw. He has determination and fight, and as a supporter of a "lower" team, fight and determination fit well with me.

But that can be said about most of our boys. It's kind of funny how last season, Konch was our best defender, and now he seems to be the weakest. And that's not even meant to be a put down.

Roy has done well.