Blogging Obama's Speech

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Mar 18, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

paraphrasing:

"We cant resolve challenges unless we do it together"

"America is hungry for someone to bring them together"

"Race keeps coming up....It's only been in the last few weeks that racial tensions have come up"

"I strongly disagreed with many of {Wright's } views"

"Those present a distorted view.. as such, and given the problems we face, they were not only wrong but divisive"

"If all I knew of Rev Wright were what we are seeing, I would react as many are now.. but..."

describes the OTHER side of Wright..

{refers to notes during this.. perhaps to not misstate anything addressing the point}

"Trinity embodies the black comm in entirety.. the WHOLE of the black community"

Talks about the blight of the urban community ... 'what's remarkable is that so many climbed out of the cycle'

'anger sometimes exploited by poiliticians' fact that so many express surprise points out that Sunday morning is 'most segregated' time.

'to condemn this anger without understanding it's roots'

'many whites feel the same way..' segues into 'jobs slipping away'... when they feel resentment about bussing... over welfare .. blasts Rush et al.

{this is a MASTERFUL speech}

'I am not so naive as to believe we can get beyond this just in one election cycle... working together we can get beyond the rhetoric'

'Wright's mistake is believing this society cannot change'

'America can change.. that is the genius of this nation'

'Your dreams do not have to come at expense of my dreams'

'do unto others...'

'Will we continue to {pay attention to only the divise, news} distractions? Or will we come togehter and say NOT THIS TIME.. crumbling schools.. children .. not let them fall behind.. health care..homes crisis'

{goes back to Iraq war meme}

"Generation after Gen has shown {this} can be perfected"

'Mustard and Relish sandwiches'

Summary:

I think he totally turned this around. He was eloquent, though it WAS written and targeted. He connected with EVERYONE.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'fog, thanks for this; what's the reference to "mustard and relish sandwiches" mean, do you think?

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

He tells it as an anecdote that was a note to me. Use my OP as a speech timeline:

Here is a link to discussion on it all over the web

Here's a link to the transcript.

I think the high-road has been set. In fact, McCain will never need to refer to it, in the general campaign. so it's up to Obama to keep race out of it.

Note his references address what I said about Wright's church. Gee, I feel vindicated... it's not so much race hate as it is class-hate, mixed with run of the mill bigotry.
    Yes.. I know the idiotic conspiracy theories dont help. YOU find the perfect preacher or perfect church!
    - - -- - - - - - - -
    Still no way I'd vote for him over McCain but I aint gonna emigrate if he wins, either.

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I think Obama is a great guy, but this speech ties himself forever to Jeremiah Wright and his church. There's no way he wins the general election now.

It is simply unacceptable to associate one's self with a person or institution that teaches others that the U.S. government started AIDS to keep black people down. There is nothing okay about that. Obama should have confronted Jeremiah Wright and changed his Sunday morning teaching years ago... or left that church.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm reminded of Reagan's nomination speech for Goldwater in '64. To the point, positive, uplifting, and eloquent.

This is perhaps the ONLY public speech I've seen in 20+ years about America's race issues that deals with the issues in a non-partisan, reasoning manner. The fact that this issue was finally discussed by a presidential candidate in the middle of a campaign is absolutely stunning, and unprecedented.

I'm seriously impressed, and that doesn't happen a lot.

Thanks for the post and for the links, 'fog.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Evolution is rarely seen so obviously. A watershed moment for our society, but not for Our Country.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Jeremiah Wright shouldn't be treated any differently than Bob Jones.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... wanted=all

Hoping to make Republicans squirm over their visits to Bob Jones University, House and Senate Democrats introduced a resolution today condemning the college for intolerance and criticizing its many visitors for staying silent on its anti-Catholic views.

With speeches decrying bigotry and racism, the Democrats made clear that it was Gov. George W. Bush's stop at the university, and his failure to denounce the college's policies, that compelled them to draw up the resolution. Mr. Bush later apologized for not seizing the chance to condemn the evangelical university's anti-Catholic teachings and its ban on interracial dating.

... etc.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

If only it were that simple, Lyle.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, but I think Obama won't win the election now. He was on his way to, but not now. Race will be an issue from here on out and it will get very ugly.

You just cant transcend race relations in America and be a member of a racist, bitter church.

... and there this. Not exactly reconciliatory.

Obama: Fire Imus

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/stor ... 317&page=1

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

Come again?

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, who -- aside from you -- is going to make race an issue? This is three posts you've made on this thread in about two hours time trying to make it so.

I don't think that John McCain will make it an issue. I also believe that when the idiots on right-wing talk radio harp on Reverent White, harp on Obama's middle name, harp on the photographs, etc. etc. etc., that John McCain will, as he did in Cincinnati, distance himself and his campaign from those divisive assholes.

If Obama wins the nomination, I'm with Pettyfog. I think that the election campaign will be one of civility and respect. And when its over, as I said a few weeks ago, we can then all get used to saying "President McCain."

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Don... Obama has made racism and bigotry an issue. I'm responding to what he has said. Do you not know how to read?

... and don't you dare think that you can shut people up by telling them "you talk to much". Got it?

... and your right about McCain. He won't make an issue of it... but everyone else will. That's what I'm talking about. I never mentioned McCain.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sigh. This petulance is SO tiresome.

Find the link where I told you or anyone else "you talk too much" and I'll apologize to you or to them. Until then, try not getting so defensive. Got it?

sheesh

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Oh, you weren't complaining you say? Don, I'll post 100 more times if I want to. :D

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

none of those words even comes close to adding up to "you" "talk" "too" "much" Lyle. And please, be my guest, go ahead and stamp your little foot as much as you want.

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Don,

You know you were trying to shut me up... to feel chastened by your righteous indignation. I still love you though man.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not a bit of it. Somebody trying to shut you [or me] up would be like trying to stop the rain falling. Besides, I have no interest in that much effort at my age.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'm glad that Obama's speech has gotten Lyle to look at race relations and personal responsibility so insightfully and open-mindedly, and really add some substance to the discussion.....

Well........perhaps it's a start for him anyhow.

To be honest, it's the "Black Community" that must take the next BIG step in this dance. But eventually, both sides will be moving across our country's Red, White & Blue dance floor, inseperably intertwined and nearly indistinguishable as we merengue' our way into the future.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

obviously, the flu has made FFCinPCB go all poetic on us.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I do feel somewhat altered states.

20. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Obama's speech was one of the most honest, forthright and eloquent commentaries on today's society. He touched on social and financial injustice leaving virtually no stone unturned. It did not seem rehearsed, but a simple approach to a complex and harrowing issue.

Barack is the first politician that has gained my complete confidence. Change can happen and he is the one to get the ball rolling.