Blatantly Beckam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dallasbill, Jul 16, 2012.

1. dallasbill

dallasbill Member

Someone please tell me who this kick swerving, floppy haired, Burger King/Pepsi/Gillette pimping guy who I used to believe was many things but not an ass, actually is. Of all the things I may have called David Beckam - pretty boy, wanna be hard poser, etc... - I never had him figured for an ass. Now every time I see him play, it makes me wonder how he came to be the captain of any team. What has changed? Has anything changed? Or has this current MLS version of him the way he's always been? Contentious after EVERY foul. Open defiance (if not confrontational) to opposing fans? He's like a freakin' NBA player. "I NEVER foul and I've ALWAYS just been fouled?
    For all the media attention around him, I've always admired how he handled himself off the pitch and what a professional he was. But this doesn't look like the same guy. I have trouble labeling him a punk as we often do to NBA or NFL stars here because most times that's reserved for those with limited/declining athletic skill for contribution to the team as a whole. But that's not Beckam. Was I just a dupe for the PR machine that is "everything glitters is Beckam"?
    What gives?

2. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I like his current attitude. I'm not sure he has changed though. He once kicked Diego Simeone in a World Cup match in 1998. I think his attitude is finally coming out to play. Good for him.

3. tim

tim Active Member

He's certainly able to get away with more now, may be a factor as well.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Never really cared for the guy, too superficial for my liking. Most likely seeing the real Beckham shining through after years of trying somewhat to keep a lid on it.

5. dallasbill

dallasbill Member

I think you may be on to something. I'm wondering if the fans of his service to country still hold him in some regard for what he's done for the England side and so he feels more insulated there, as well as Latin countries like Spain and Italy where the men seem to love him as much as the women. Here -- well, ok most women still love him and maybe some men -- but no one cares what he's done for England and the true supporters really give it to him when he's in town, as you would to any visiting teams best players.
    He seems to have a real disdain for Dallas (assumingly not because he hates the Cowboys like everyone else) and our supporters groups here love it. We'll see in a couple of weeks when they come here.

So maybe this has always been him, as you say. And now, with no undercurrent of admiration and in it's place...chiding, jealousy, jeering, etc... we are seeing his true colors.

And Vegas, I gotta lean toward Heather on this one but I respect your opinion.