Biden choice not popular in Iraq

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Aug 24, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

And here's why!

Well, I would expect that to damp down some as time passes. While Biden made a big mistake in likening Iraq to the Balkans, there's definitely a silver lining in his black cloud, from the Iraqi perspective.

Just as the Dems "Out of Iraq, NOW" sent a message to the Iraqi Parliament, and the call for "Change of Direction" triggered the surge, Biden's plan got the Sunni's Kurds and Shia off the dime.

You see, that is the BIG PICTURE view of the issue!

2. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

I remember reading about that plan shortly after it had been hatched. Create peace with division ... that's Joe Biden for you. Who needs patience or fortitude when you can just use segregation.

I still can't believe that Obama picked him as his running mate ... seems like such a knee-jerk reaction. Either that or he's showing how genuinely liberal he really is ... guess that'll tell with time ...

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Biden's a bad choice on so many levels.

A) It shows that Obama, despite him saying to the contrary, admits he is actually inexperienced and needs an old-hand to help him out (a la Bush/Cheney in 2000)

B) He's extremely uncharismatic. Obama isn't about policies, but about image and ideals. It would like "maverick" McCain tapping Pat Buchanan as his VP.

C)Biden is to gaffes, what Lott is to racist comments. He says stupid things he won't apologize for ("the surge is a failure"), and normal things he inexplicably apologizes for ("Obama is fresh").

Overall, a bad bad choice. I wanted Sen. Webb from VA.

4. Bradical

Bradical Member

I like the choice.

No one is to say in 2008, amidst failure after failure of GOP Iraq strategies, that Biden's Iraq plan is/was a strategy poised to fail. Once the US leaves Iraq, we will then know what worked/will work. Most likely outcome: Iraq will fall to its former repute not long after we leave... and we may be begging for a federated Iraq at that point, rather than the alternative.

Biden's Iraq plan is nowhere near as insane as say, the plan to try and install a democracy in a land that has centuries of experience at despotism.

Oh, and about the surge -- it's not "working." There are alot of other explanations for a slight, momentary decrease in violence; regardless, it's nearly impossible to define success in a war which has had no operational definitions - for anything.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Not to pull a HatterDon/pfog argument here...

But even Obama acknowledged the surge is one factor, amongst many, that helped quell violence in the area. So to still maintain that it didn't "work" is really quite foolish. Because if we're going to pick and choose, then we might was well throw out the Sunni Awakening, Al Qaeda in Iraq's demise, and other related events because they disprove our dispositions.

And I'm against the war.

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

It will get me to vote the ticket.

I don't dislike McCain, but between two longtime Senators, Biden just shows a much better grasp of the intricacies involved in many issues and makes more sense when he opens his mouth (even when he tends to stick a piece of his foot in it). And Barack is still maleable enough to take advantage of some sage and extremely experienced advice.

McCain? He's a nice enough older, little fellow. Maybe he can fit in the Cabinet.