Bets on cause of BA crash.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 18, 2008.

?

What caused the crash?

1. Pilot Error

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Weird wind Conditions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fuel or Electrical failure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. None of the Above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It's pointless to speculate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Mine: 'wind shear'.

If conditions at Heathrow were indeed 'gusty', then a freak coincidence of an 80 mph (at several hundred feet altitude) gust from behind would reduce actual approach airspeed to about 100 mph.

The plane would drop like a rock and 'tail drag'. A good pilot, as he seemed to be, would then have to force the nose down to avoid an outright stall.

The news says the plane 'lost all power' but that also might refer to airspeed as no ground witnesses seem to have heard engines change or lose sound level.

This was the first recorded 'crash incident' involving a Boeing 777 in its ten year history.

Conditions were VFR {good visibility}

2. jmh

jmh New Member

I vote for "we have no real knowledge of the matter so it's pointless to speculate"

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Bets on cause of BA crash.

That's fine... I'll add that option.

However you DO realize that 'speculating' on such things is a result of natural curiosity and exercises the gray matter... cause you actually have to think.*

Rather than just take the word of 'experts' whoever they may be?

* This is EXTREMELY important once you reach geezerhood. Both from self-observation and being around my dad.

YMMV.

Sudden thought: If it's pointless to speculate, isnt it ALSO pointless to go to all that trouble to say it's pointless to speculate?

just sayin' :twisted:
    - - - - -- - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - -
    Oh, BTW... I 'hit a triple', at least on the 'speculation on the I35 bridge collapse'. I said design fault, and it was.

Not rocket science.. or even structure science.. just common sense and 'thinking'.
    :banana: {just practicing 'smiley use, there, to avoid being accused of being confrontational. something I obviously need to work on}