Berbatov

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Aug 29, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://sulia.com/channel/soccer/f/a97e8 ... ce=twitter

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Berbatov just tweeted this:

It's not verified by twitter but at least I think it's Berbatov...could be a strong lookalike posing with somebody as his agent in photo he tweeted. Above and beyond for a fake twitter account is it is fake.

*some are saying it is fake. Oh well. Just waiting for official announcement from the club now...most news reports are saying it's a done deal.

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

From Sky Sports News: Berbatov is in a Fulham Club Car on the way to the club to sign the deal.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Cant way to see his Berbabilities in a Fulham shirt.

5. BarryWhite

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yay!! :banana-guitar:

7. BarryWhite

Berbatov Signs For Fulham
    Friday 31 August 2012 15:08

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Dimitar Berbatov from Manchester United on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee which will see the player remain at the Club until at least the summer of 2014.

The 31-year-old forward moved from Bayer Leverkusen in 2006 when he signed for Tottenham Hotspur, managed at the time by Martin Jol. In two seasons at White Hart Lane he made 102 appearances and scored 46 goals in all competitions.

In 2008, he signed a four-year deal at Manchester United for a reported £30m. He scored 56 goals in 149 appearances and lifted two Premier League titles whilst at Old Trafford. He completed the 2010/11 campaign as top Premier League goalscorer to claim the Golden Boot jointly with Carlos Tevez.

Speaking from Fulham’s Motspur Park Training Ground, Berbatov said: “I’m delighted to have signed for Fulham and I look forward to playing under Martin Jol once again. As soon as I was aware of Fulham’s interest my decision to join was an easy one to make. I’m impressed with the set up here and the people have made me feel welcome. There is a close and personal feel around the Club and I can’t wait to get started.”

Jol added: “Dimitar is a player I’ve always admired. He did well for me at Spurs and I’m sure that he will do well here at Fulham. He’s a player of great quality and technical ability who will give me the attacking option I’ve been looking for. When he’s not scoring goals, his ingenuity often leads chances being created for his teammates and I’m delighted that we’ve been able to convince him to come to us, as there was a lot of attention from other clubs.”

Berbatov, who has been handed squad number nine at Craven Cottage, started out at Bulgarian side CSKA Sofia, joining the Armymen aged 17. In doing so, he followed in the footsteps of his father, Ivan, who also played for the club.

His talent quickly caught the attention of clubs on the continent, with Bayer Leverkusen making their move in January 2001. He was particularly impressive in the UEFA Champions League, helping the German club to knock Manchester United out of the Semi-Final of the competition in April 2002. His Leverkusen side would lose 2-1 against Real Madrid in the Final though.

Berbatov made the move to England in July 2006 when he signed for Tottenham for a reported £10.9m. He scored 23 goals in his opening season, and matched that tally again during the 2007/08 campaign. He joined Manchester United on transfer deadline day in August 2008, having long been courted by Sir Alex Ferguson.

The striker forged a formidable partnership with Wayne Rooney in his first season at Old Trafford, scoring 14 goals and making countless assists as United won the Barclays Premier League title.

During the 2010/11 campaign the Bulgarian netted 20 league to help United to a second title in his time at the club. He also won the League Cup (2010) and FIFA Club World Cup (2008) during his four years at Old Trafford.

Berbatov retired from international football in May 2010 after a record 48 goals in 78 games for Bulgaria.

He was named Bulgarian Footballer of the Year seven times: in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and in 2010.

8. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

10. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Probably had to shake a good bit of dust off of those #9's. Good to finally have a proper one at the club after all of our striker woes the last 4-5 years.

11. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I think Berbatov will really shine again under Jol. Very happy we locked him up.

12. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

So if ManU paid 31mil, and we bought him for 4mil.

So 27mil (pounds) and 57 goals for ManU.

473,684.21 pounds per goal.
    (not counting wages)

Here's hoping (and betting) we get a better return on investment than Sir Alex.

13. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Sure we will as we'll actually play him. ManU's handling of him was odd to say the least.

14. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    This is excellent news. At 31, Berbatov might not be the player he was a couple years ago, but I'm happy at the prospect of him and Petric up top- which moves Ruiz back to a suddenly happily crowded midfield vying with Richardson, Sidwell, Diarra, Duff and Special K for a starting role. I feel like we have depth again. Replacing the quality of Dempsey or Dembele is difficult, but to paraphrase a line from the severely under appreciated British sitcom Peep Show, for the worst thing that could possibly happen- this isn't so bad.

Also, something I've never quite understood, why are some transfer fees "undisclosed" when others are given? Shouldn't it be one way or the other? Does anyone have any kind of educated guess for how much money we paid for Berbatov?

~ Steve

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm doubting this story, but it's a little entertaining:

http://www.football-italia.net/24571/be ... ntina-back?

Can you imagine the Fulham fan reaction had this happend? :shock:

16. emiusaberbo

emiusaberbo Member

This is not a true twitter of Berbatov. As far as I know he doesn't have facebook nor twitter. This is made up by a media that is crap.

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member