Beers with Wynalda, FFCinPCB's interview

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Apr 1, 2007.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

if Wynalda doesn't lose his job (let's all hope he doesn't...is there an email address we can all send emails to voicing our support for him) he'll come off as a genius from all of this. Look at the hits this website has received...the articles that are coming out in the news such as those DCHeather posted, the pub it has gotten on ESPN. Not only did he get in a couple of "low blows" (no pun intended) in at one of the sports biggest detractors, but he's also created opportunity for gaining future proponents of soccer...Not because of what he said, but because of the harsh criticism he came under and subsequent follow-up by all of those who heard about it and wanted to find out the details for themselves. Look at the # of new members on our site already. Cheers Eric!!! :)

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Hmmm....Wynalda might not be too pleased with this site or Fulhamusa members at the moment. I don't think he'll lose his job...he's getting a lot of support from soccer fans.

Was Wynalda well aware that he was being interviewed and/or recorded? I would assume he was, but...

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

true but if you're Wynalda and go out and say something like that...you have to know it's going to get back to Rome. I almost think it was a calculated move...aside from the fact that he could lose his job which i'm hoping he doesn't. All i'm saying is look at the pub this site has received since...and i can't help but think that soccer will gain quite a few supporters from this...maybe not right away...but there will be those who will check it out now and possibly take a liking to

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

yeah, Wynalda is responsible for the words that he says, but I don't think he thought his words would get as public or "circulated" as they did. He has done the standard apology to keep his job, so I don't think he'll be shown the door.

I agree, the publicity will attract a curiosity to this site, how sustained will that curiosity be is up for debate. Right now, it's just two guys getting into an amusing tiff--and this site is getting a lot of hits because of it. Not all that bad.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

For the record:

He was well aware of an interview.

Outside of that, I support Eric no matter what happens in all of this. The 'PC' brigade is out to stifle a man who simply wants to speak his mind.

COYW's!!?

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

In his interview on the Rome's radio show he said he did an appearance where he did give an interview. However later in the same appearance on Rome he implied that it wasn't a real interview. PCB would have to say whether I'm right or not but I'm thinking because it was at a pub, and by fans, and only for a website no ones ever heard of (until now :shock: ), that he was not in an "interview mode" but instead in the frame of mind of having a conversation. Thus these things slipped without really a second thought.

Sort of like the whole Runstrom episode a few weeks back. In both cases the person being interviewed was caught off guard. I think we see their true thoughts on the subject.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

PCB made it known he was with 90:00 magazine. That being said, anytime you are being interviewed by a website, a magazine or a TV station, you should always be aware of what you say.

I still stand by the fact that Christian had a legitimate interview with Wynalda and did a great job with asking questions. Wynalda gave the interesting answers that he might be perhaps backtracking on now.

If the interview was illegitimate, FulhamUSA.com would NOT have posted the article as we are a site that promotes only facts and editorials. We do not post slander on individuals like Wynalda. I would like to think the site has built up a good reputation by not posting junk. This on the other hand, is NOT junk, rather a well done, factual piece of journalism by PCB.

Well done PCB!

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well that throws my theory out the window. Wynalda treads the edge on TV and in interviews I guess this time he just jumped the shark and went to far with "Jim Rome can suck my ****" and "I'll club his ass" :3d laughing:

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Guys, I just went through about 15 sites that came up on a google search, mostly blogs.

only two were critical of the article. Go to topics/FulhamInformation for the list.

10. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I'm impressed the article "exploded" as it did. Good work for Christian on the interview and good on FUSA of putting it up.

11. upperv

upperv New Member

I absolutely agree with Eric, I'll kick that poser Rome's ass for him , Eric's openess and honesty is refreshing( are you listening u.s. soccer and espn), i agree we need to create and establish the indenties of M.L.S. and it's players, be very proactive and positive, we have a great product and need to be proud of it, you know why baseball ratings and participation are sinking like the Titanic, it' cause kids and adults are playing soccer , it' just a matter of time before it all comes together, i'm from San Diego and can't believe M.L.S. has not put a franchise here, it makes perfect sense for the L.A. rivalry and HUGE soccer base we have, anyhow i say " go get em Eric "

12. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Really interesting read, and what a great opportunity! Way to take advantage of it, PCB. Good job, and keep it up.

13. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Excellent interview. Wynalda is missing from the ABC MLS broadcast today. Anything to do with the interview or was it scheduled that way?

14. krhimself

krhimself New Member

I read somewhere that he was suspended for the opening match because of the Rome incident, though I have no real confirmation of that anywhere. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case at all, though.

15. BC

BC New Member

I'll add my praise as well. Nicely done! I agree with Wynalda that once we figure out how, we can be one of the best soccer nations in the world. It will take time but I think we'll get there.

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnis ... kend_N.htm

out of USA Today; "Also, on Saturday Julie Foudy will replace analyst Eric Wynalda, who was suspended for one game for using obscene language about ESPN's Jim Rome on the blog Fulham USA."

why do they keep calling us a blog?

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What a whiny bitch Rome is. He must be so proud to see Wynalda lose a gig and some money. Waldo didn't get suspended because of what he said; he got suspended because Rome went on and on and on about it like somebody sat on his corsage on prom night.

Gee-zus, man; grow a pair!

18. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

In all fairness, a one-game suspension for threatening a co-worker - even if that co-worker is one of the biggest jerks in the business - is hard to argue with. All ABC/ESPN did though was reduce whatever small audience they had to begin with. When Wynalda and or Arena is on the broadcast, I can almost tolerate O'Brien. The O'Brien Foudy team was too much for anyone to bear and the match wasn't interesting enough to watch on mute.

19. Joe

Joe New Member

One more "awesome interview" and one more "Right on for what Eric said about Rome." There are only two people I hate so much that I'd like to perform mixed martial arts moves on them in public. Cynthia McKinney is one, Rome is the other.
    Living in almost AM-radio free northwest Wisconsin for almost four years, I've had little exposure to Rome over that period and I've gotta say it's greatly helped my mental health.

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

FromNY Sun

No explanation was offered, of course, but Wynalda had landed himself in hot water by shooting off his mouth with some salacious criticism of ABC's golden boy Jim Rome. Wynalda issued an abject apology but got suspended anyway. He was replaced by former national team player Julie Foudy, who proved acceptably noncontroversial with a soporific blend of banalities and clichés.

Exactly!