Beckham to AC Milan

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Oct 22, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Dead absolutely 100% dyed-in-the-wool right-on-the-nose accurate. Who said 'fog don't know his footie?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Reminds you a lot of McBride, doesnt he?

But I think you are ignoring the history timeline. He was not getting a lot of time with RM, BEFORE he signed with the Gals, and because of that McLaren wasnt real hot on him, either.

So he did 'Plan B' and hoped for something to break. Recall that Capello learned his lesson from the end of season emergency episode at RM, that's why he's getting time on England.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Spot on, 'fog.

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Petty - you are not spot on.

GBS and Becks are totally different players and GBS is a fierce competitor who is not too big for his britches, and he makes everyone around him better. Also - I think you need to give GBS a little more credit. That guy is a complete game changer. He can win - almost all by himself... That cannot be said of Becks.

Beckham only cared during his first few matches here, but once he settled in and realized he - and the team - were not that great after all, he couldnt be bothered.

I dont want Becks back because he has not done what he came here for. I wanted him here because he was supposed to bring legitimacy and respect to the MLS, and he was supposed to put the game on his shoulders and carry it on to the next level. Despite all the media BS that has been churned out, HE HAS NOT DONE THAT...

So go away and never come back. We need more guys like GBS that the regular soccer fanatic like you and I can get behind. We are the change that MLS is looking for because if they can get us interested then we will be an army of free grassroots promotion.

Beckham has turned my interest away from MLS - I dont need pretty boys and hype. I want a good product and an exciting league. He has provided neither.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I agree with Jensers. Why don't you coach GBS? Because he can take the bull by the horns, improving everyone around him as he leaves his mark on the match. Players like that you let work their magic: like MJ, Bird et al.

Why can't you coach Beckham? Because of the politics, and the glitz, and the posse, and the marketing that is behind him. What other players notify the media the coach has been fired? Has Beckham done one thing for the Galaxy on the field? No.

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Oh crap! This must be the Big Soccer Forum. My apologies. (shutting door)

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

:roll:

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have enjoyed Beckham's play in every match I've seen. I think he has played well. I think his presence has also increased the quality of Donovan's game immensely. Like Pettyfog, I'm baffled by all this negativity about the boy. I think many of you must be dividing his performance by your expectations.

Also, I don't think Beckham has any illusions about South Africa. It's pretty clear who England's right winger is going to be in 2010. I think the loan move is to keep him fit for now.

Nice line, Christian!

9. Jensers

Jensers New Member

You may be right Hatter - perhaps the expectations are too high.

On the other hand... So much was promised - so much was hyped - so much was expected.

It may not be his fault, but it still pisses me off because I cant understand why people and networks seem to be so willing to give becks and the galaxy a pass - Like he, and they - are untouchable and that there is something wrong with recognizing obvious shortcomings... Looking at the situation thru Rose colored glasses is not going to make the league better.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The Galaxy cancelled a scheduled exhibition match down under vs Queensland because they couldn't gaurantee Beckham being with the team....what? Aussies wouldn't want to part with their hard earned income to see Chris Klein and Greg Vanney?? :roll:

Considering that the LA defense could not be considered to be anything else than putrid (and that's being kind) means he is not totally to blame for their joke of a season, but aside from an appearance or two on late night tv and 1 addidas commercial he's been persona non grata. Where was the promotion? the visibility?? the availiblity to the LA media??? There are 2 all sportstalk stations in LA, and he wasn't on once. I honestly don't think he thought that he would actually have to work for the marketing portion of his contract and upon realizing how hard he would have to work said 'screw it, I'll just take my $5 million a season and look elsewhere'.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Or maybe Jim Rome just didn't want him on, with his on air strike against talking soccer and all.

I have to think, there are time when Rome is kicking himself for instituting that. Purely because he could take soooo many pot-shots.

What a tool. But why do I find myself listening every so often??

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Your right Christian about Rome's show, but that's only 4 hours, how about the rush hour drive time shows in the afternoon?? I know of one show (in the prime afternoon slot) that followed the WC and would have gladly had him on.

I heard an interview on the radio w/LA's most popular tv sports newscaster and he openly complained that Becks wasn't accessible and that talking w/the Galaxy PR dept. was like talking to his body guards.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Vanney just retired, SCJ, and I thought Klein was the Gals best player not named Donovan or Beckham.

It's been obvious that the Galaxy's world tour of friendlies has only been viable is Becks is going to play. If you lived in Queensland, would you come out to see an exhibition team featuring the worst side in a league not all that better than the A-league if it DIDN'T feature Becks?

Back in the NASL days of the SA Thunder, I watched several matches with 2500-3000 of my closest friends, until the Cosmos came to town. Then Alamo Stadium sold out with every foreign student learning to fly rocking the place to see Pele play for 45 minutes. Two weeks later, it was down to 2500 again.

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The irony there is that we were oh so close to getting what became Houston Dynamo, but had delusions of NFL grandeur and missed the boat.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator